American Ammo. Worst ammo ever?

PDA

firestar
March 4, 2003, 01:32 PM
YES!
Just a heads up to people considering buying this ammo, don't! I know it is a buck or two cheaper but it is bar none, the most inconsistant ammo I have ever shot.

From shot to shot the powder charge seems to vary in the extreme. I have shot it in .45 and .32. In my P-32 it would not cycle the action about 30-40% or the time. It is clearly sub power loads failing to produce enough power to unlock the slide.

I hear Ruger is specifically waring its customers not to use this ammo and American Ammo is not returning calls or E-mail.

If you have this stuff in your gun for self defense, get rid of it! If you have this stuff but have not shot it yet, try to return it or shoot it at your own risk.

Also the bullets are copper washed lead. It looks at first glance like FMJ but it should NOT be fired in Glocks.

Also it is totaly inaccurate. I had a co-worker say to me that he shoots this ammo in his Glock 30 and it is very accurate.:rolleyes: If someone tells you that, they probably can not tell the difference.

If you enjoyed reading about "American Ammo. Worst ammo ever?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VaughnT
March 4, 2003, 01:51 PM
You're not alone, Firestar. AA is quite possibly the most horrendous ammo to ever be made and I've not heard of a single report where the customer was satisfied.

I didn't know any better when I bought a few hundred rounds for dirt cheap. The only good thing to come out of it was a lot of FTF drills. I wish I had bought some snapcaps instead!:(

George Hill
March 4, 2003, 01:52 PM
Yeah, pretty much... It's crap.
I don't use it. Well, wait a sec...
I did use it when I first got my 92FS. I wanted to make sure it was reliable. So I got a couple boxes of it and shot them empty. No failures. If a gun wont jam up on that crap... then it's a good sign you have a good gun. My carry ammo is something very different.

El Tejon
March 4, 2003, 01:58 PM
[fat comic bookstore guy voice] "Worst ammo ever."

AndABeer
March 4, 2003, 02:16 PM
wonder if a class action lawsuit could get them to change their name, frosts my behind that they can use "American" for such crap

Justin
March 4, 2003, 02:23 PM
El T- Too funny!:D

I have no disagreement whatsoever, I bought 100 rounds of this stuff a couple years ago, and it was the most inconsistent ammo I ever shot. You could even tell just by the way it would cycle the empties, sometimes it would toss 'em pretty far, and other times they'd barely make it out of the gun.
(No failures, but like George, I think I'll take that as a sign that the pistol used was well designed.)

foghornl
March 4, 2003, 02:35 PM
A buddy gave me most of a box of that stuff, wouldn't cycle properly in his Taurus 1911 (Mdl 945?). Cycled through my KP-90 Ruger, but just barely. Sounded like some bullets just cleared the muzzle, some were fairly loud.

Now, the American Eagle brand from Federal in the red box seems like pretty decent stuff...but that Miami (?) made American Ammo.....wouldn't give ya $5 for a pickup truck full of that [ahem] stuff.

10-Ring
March 4, 2003, 02:40 PM
Haven't used American Ammo in a long while, this might be why :) Thanks for the heads up ;)

Gusgus
March 4, 2003, 02:43 PM
Another thing folks, it uses "cooper washed" lead bullets that only look like FMJs. The cooper coating is paper thin, and very soft. I actually had a .40 Cougar barrel ruined by this ammo. The soft cooper coating fouled the rifling, but unlike lead, solvent won't remove the crap.

Just a side note of clarification, to others who may be reading this thread. We're talking about American Ammo of Miami, NOT American Eagle, made by Federal.

buford1
March 4, 2003, 02:50 PM
My gun shop has a recall on thier 45 ammo.

Snowdog
March 4, 2003, 03:19 PM
Made a fool of myself by sending back a perfectly fine, freshly purchased K9 for factory repair as it would fail to extract... turns out American Ammunition doesn't resize their cases upon reloading, causing cases to wedge tightly in the chamber.

Got my K9 back with a concise note from Kahr kindly asking me not to feed garbage ammunition through their product if I wished it to work properly.

Live and learn.

powerstrk
March 4, 2003, 03:48 PM
Worst CRAP ever produced. It plugged the barrel on my Berreta 96 so bad that one got stuck on a squib load. Had to take the gun apart at the range and pound it out with a brass punch. I was soooo pissed. It took me several hours to get the lead fouling out of the barrel. You could not see the lands at that point :fire: :cuss:

Delmar
March 4, 2003, 03:55 PM
Sounds like just the thing for Al Quida and the Republican Guards:neener:

coonan357
March 4, 2003, 04:01 PM
the only thing this stuff is good for is targets and I don't mean shooting at the the target with the ammo is the target , when I find this brass in my range brass I throw it in a can ,so I can plink with it with my 10/22 ! somehow some of it got into my reloading batches and I broke 4 decapping pins because the primer holes are not centered or not punched all the way thru :uhoh: , so if you see A-Amerc brass on the range floor do yourself a favor throw it in the garbage can !!! or step on it so it cannot be reloaded . and I think the a in a-amerc means anti

jsalcedo
March 4, 2003, 04:13 PM
Some creep at the gunshow took a bunch of this crap Amerc
ammo and put it in GI clone brown ammo boxes and sold it as such.

It jammed in my Chuck Daly, It jammed my sistema where I had to hammer the gun open .

I looked at the cases and they were all bulged around where the base of the bullet would be inside the case.

Tossed it all except for a few I'm going back to that table and find out what the deal is.

meathammer
March 4, 2003, 04:17 PM
I guess I've been fortunate to never have come across this stuff. Thanks for the heads up though.

Schuey2002
March 4, 2003, 04:20 PM
Thank God for Walmart.;)

blades67
March 4, 2003, 04:34 PM
All the more reason to reload.:neener:

Mastrogiacomo
March 4, 2003, 05:03 PM
Good to know and I appreciate the warning. Thankfully, I always use Winchester and have never had any such trouble. :D

Poodleshooter
March 4, 2003, 05:40 PM
Yes, and as mentiond before,it has some of the WORST brass ever put on this earth.

Robby from Long Island
March 4, 2003, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the warning guys, I never even heard of this stuff.

Safe shooting.

Bruce H
March 4, 2003, 08:28 PM
Now you know the sideline that the VPC and HCI use to raise revenue. Load junk, sell cheap. rake in dollars. Bet they giggle at all the malfunctions.

CWL
March 5, 2003, 12:11 AM
Ya know, it's worked for me in the one instance I've used it. Bought two cases of .45 for a gun class since it was so cheap and it performed flawlessly (helps to have a great gun). I still have a few hundred rounds for eventual blasting. -Yes, I have cases of other "good" ammo for real usage.

OTOH, my friend, who bought a case each of 9mm & .40 Cal had problems with cycling & jams on his Glocks during the same class.

Guess i lucked out.

Frohickey
March 5, 2003, 12:27 AM
The primer pockets and flash hole of the AMERC brass is off center too! :cuss:

I've seen a few in my time, never seen AMERC boxes, or the ammo before it was fired. Only ones I've seen are the spent brass. This is about the only brass I intentionally crush before I throw it back to the range.

Malone LaVeigh
March 5, 2003, 02:45 PM
I don't understand. I've never come across this stuff, so maybe there's something I don't know. Some folks are referring to brass with the brand name, others about reloads. Is the point that the company sells both, and they both suck?

Oh, and thanks for the heads up.

Justin
March 5, 2003, 02:59 PM
For those of you who've never seen this stuff, just a heads up, it comes in clear plastic blister packs.

gudel
May 10, 2003, 09:14 PM
not knowing any better, i bought one box of their 9mm.
the bullet doesn't look smooth, it's got dimples all over.
so i loaded them up to my Ruger 95. as i tried to clear the gun, i pulled the slide back, then i notice i got stuff all over my floor. it was the powder from the unfired amerc cartridge. the bullet came off the case!
here's a picture
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=267899

i emailed them, they called me back. they suggested to send this back to them. they said shipping cost will be reimbursed while the guy will also include additional box in return. i haven't shipped it, not sure if it's worth my time.

CZ-75
May 10, 2003, 09:34 PM
You're right, another box of crap isn't worth the trouble.

OEF_VET
May 12, 2003, 02:06 PM
I put a box through my Kel-Tec P32 and had quite a few FTE's and a squib. It was only the second box of ammo I put through the gun, with the first box being Winchester 'white box'. Had (anti-)American Ammo been the first, I would have probably formed a bad opinion of Kel-Tec, which is actually a very nice gun for the price.

scottgun
May 12, 2003, 03:46 PM
I got a few boxes of this for cheap at a gun show. Not worth it. Many underpowered rounds, also using it in a P32. It's scary that an underpowered bullet can get caught in the barrel and the next shot - kaboom. Hardly worth saving a few $s.

Soap
May 12, 2003, 10:08 PM
Yes.

Idaho
May 12, 2003, 11:46 PM
I was at a shooting class and the guy next to me had his Glock kB while shooting this ammo. He thought it was fmj. Oops. Fortunately, he had only a medium size cut in his hand, and I had a small one in mine (from flying Glock bits), and he (and I) were both able to finish the course. (He used a different gun and different ammo, not surprisingly.)

(see second incident report at http://www.frontsight.com/safety.htm)

If you enjoyed reading about "American Ammo. Worst ammo ever?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!