What is this sort of gun called?

PDA

warth0g
January 9, 2005, 01:52 PM
I saw somthing on TV a long time ago. It was a gun where the ammo, the hole round followed out the bore. The propelant came out trough small holes in the bottom of the round. Anyone knows what this system/gun is called, or links to it? I think it was a experimantal gun/system form the seventies?

wart0g

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this sort of gun called?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thumper
January 9, 2005, 01:53 PM
Language barriers here, but it sounds like you might be talking about the GyroJet.

Double Maduro
January 9, 2005, 01:58 PM
Was it this one?

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/1700/1787.htm

Welcome to the forums.

DM

warth0g
January 9, 2005, 02:29 PM
Yeah, little hard to explain tecnichal matters in english.

No it was not the "gyro jet" It looked more like a small carabine, with wooden stock. It`s ammo looked much like normal ammo, expect that they had those small holes in the back end of the round. it purpose was too provide the shooter with a gun who where silent, for use in covert operations, it was also suposed to generate less recoil. it was also said that the round did gain speed after it had gone out of the bore of the gun, which i find not very likely.

Anyway thanks for the answers so far!

warth0g

BondageJaguar
January 9, 2005, 02:30 PM
That doesn't sound like anything BUT a gyrojet to me, are you sure?

Double Maduro
January 9, 2005, 02:34 PM
If you read the article, there was a Gyro Jet carbine as well as a pistol.

DM

Mike Hull
January 9, 2005, 02:45 PM
Do you possibly mean the old "Volcanic" rifle/carbine?
Everything was contained in the hollow base of the lead bullet, and there was, what appeared to be, a small hole centerted in the base where the primer was located.

http://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/history.htm

Thumper
January 9, 2005, 02:49 PM
Looked like this?

http://www.survivalarts.com/archives/000574.html

warth0g
January 9, 2005, 02:49 PM
ok, shalll read the article.

A little background of the situation the gun was mentioned. During the cold war Norway had a secret group "stay behind" which was suposed to create a basis for a resitance, if the russians managed to invade. That group was build up of people who had a cache of equipment in their houses. During the 90`s this group or concept got publicly known and TV station made a case of it.

And one of the guys showed off what he had hidden in his house for a lot of years.

He got the gun in question in the seventies, i think he said.

warth0g

Thumper
January 9, 2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah, little hard to explain tecnichal matters in english.

Didn't mean to be rude. The extent of my Norwegian is limited to what I learned from Garrison Kiellor.

Welcome to THR.

Thumper
January 9, 2005, 02:53 PM
Seventies...certainly a gyrojet. Check the pic in the above link.

Mike Hull
January 9, 2005, 02:57 PM
A little background of the situation the gun was mentioned. During the cold war Norway had a secret group "stay behind" which was suposed to create a basis for a resitance, if the russians managed to invade.

Well, that definitely rules out the Volcanic. :D

warth0g
January 9, 2005, 02:58 PM
Thank you all!

Thumper: no offense taken!!

It probably was gyro jet. I dont remember the carbine had that sort of stock, though, but could have been an earlier model or something.

warth0g

Thumper
January 9, 2005, 03:08 PM
One of these?

http://securityarms.com/gyrojet/gyrogroup.jpg

warth0g
January 9, 2005, 03:12 PM
Yeah!

The upper carbine it is!

hmm, I`m impressed!

warth0g

Thumper
January 9, 2005, 03:16 PM
THR rocks...

Probably 80% of our really active members could have answered your question.

Stick around.

I'm back to my kaffe and the NFL playoffs.

Double Maduro
January 9, 2005, 03:52 PM
Warthog,

Glad we could help. I hope you stick around and become an active part of the forums.

Looking at the carbines, How would you like to fire a weapon and have rocket exhaust blasted out right in front of your nose and eyes. Would make follow up shots a trifle difficult and may cause a flinch. LOL

DM

chevrofreak
January 9, 2005, 07:58 PM
Is there actually a point in putting a scope on a Gyrojet? ;)

Guy L Johnson
January 9, 2005, 08:20 PM
A Daisy VL propelent was packed in a recess in the back of the projectile but it only came in .22

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this sort of gun called?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!