What do these revolver services add?

PDA

rWt
January 9, 2005, 03:21 PM
I see the following services offered by a number of Smith's. Are they important for a defensive revolver? What do they do?

1. Add overtravel stop to trigger
2. Install ball detent in crane
3. chamfer cylinder mouths

If you enjoyed reading about "What do these revolver services add?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
January 9, 2005, 03:27 PM
Hi Dick!

#1 - I like this ... provided, the set screw can be reliably secured - locktite, and I like to slightly mar the threads so as to get a strong bite - just a smidgeon is enough. Definitely improves fluency of D/A IMO.

#2 - Never tried this and don't think I'd regard it as a big plus. Much for me depends on hold and technique whilst cylinder being manipulated.

#3 - Very useful for speedloads ... does help to prevent rounds hanging up.... always seems to be one in a set that does not quite want to go in!

dfariswheel
January 9, 2005, 05:48 PM
On a defensive revolver, only #3 has any utility, or is even desirable.

A trigger stop is unnecessary on a defensive S&W revolver, since this is an option for full-up target shooters.
On the typical S&W revolver there is little trigger over-travel anyway, and most users can detect little if any change.

With most trigger stops, there is a real danger of the stop moving out of adjustment and preventing the gun from firing.
NOT desirable in a defense situation, which is why few serious defense revolvers or autos have stops.

The ball-lock detent, is again, mostly for target revolvers.
This is simply a spring-loaded ball installed into the revolvers cylinder crane, that provides a little extra locking power for the crane.
Again, this is another thing than can go wrong and cause problems just when you have enough trouble.

Chamfering the chamber mouths is an aid to fast reloading with a speed-loader.
As long as it's not so deep it weakens case support for full-power defense ammo, it's a good option in case you have to do a combat reload.

So, I'd suggest an order of #3, hold the #1 and 2.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do these revolver services add?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!