Any Idea What Happened to FrontSightAlumni.com?

PDA

RoyRapoport
March 4, 2003, 07:07 PM
Front Sight has something of a less-than-stellar reputation, I know, but in general the students who have gone there are a great group of people (OK, OK, I'm only saying this because I'm one of them). We've been using FrontSightAlumni.com to communicate, but as of today, the site is 'closed' with no explanations.

I know there are other Front Sight folks here -- anybody here anything?

-roy

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Idea What Happened to FrontSightAlumni.com?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ewok
March 4, 2003, 07:26 PM
It was up earlier today. I can't check my home email from work, so I don't know if there was any notice. Could just be a glitch.

Ewok
March 4, 2003, 07:32 PM
D'oh. Check it again, now it says the domain is for sale.

RoyRapoport
March 4, 2003, 07:37 PM
Well ... that doesn't seem <understatement>very good...</understatement>

Ewok
March 4, 2003, 07:39 PM
The number listed belongs to Jim, so I guess he's really shutting it down.

RoyRapoport
March 4, 2003, 07:40 PM
Seems a little ... short notice. Methinks something happened.

Ewok
March 5, 2003, 02:54 PM
The site now says "Will re-open Front Sight Alumni in 6-8 weeks."

RoyRapoport
March 5, 2003, 07:03 PM
Except that it looks like Front Sight bought it, and it'll be run by them. While I don't doubt that they will, of course, practice a hands-off approach to its running and continue to promote and allow open and unbiased discussions, in case you're interested, Jim Mayhugh has created a new site to replace it -- www.politesociety.org

-roy

bill2
March 5, 2003, 08:39 PM
I'm new to this forum, but attended one of Front Site's 4 day pistol course back when they were in CA, and then attended the 1 day SMG course when they just got started in NV. What's the scoop on why their reputation is not so good? their training methods, or something else?

RoyRapoport
March 5, 2003, 09:01 PM
bill2,

I think that in general, nobody has much bad to say about their training. Certainly, I don't -- I'm a First Family member, I've attended four of their classes (4DPR, 4DDH x 2, 4DTS), and I've taken about eight different people there.

Some people have some issues with the way they interact with the rest of the world. See http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138756 for some more information, flames, and conjectures.

-roy

gundude
March 6, 2003, 04:36 AM
I'd agree that their training is very high quality. I'm a bit put off by their insistence that they know the "one true and correct way" of doing everything, but that seems pretty typical of gun schools I've been to.

What's REALLY scary is their marketing approach. They want you to pay for MOST if not ALL of your training UP FRONT (by buying a First Family membership or course certificates), under the threat (they call it an "opportunity") that if you don't do it now, the courses will become unaffordable to you in the very near future. This threat/promise of imminent and huge increases in prices is the underlying theme to the entire marketing campaign, and has been going on since I attended my first free SMG class there almost three years ago. Ironically, if their latest promise, the "free upgrade" of membership levels, actually comes true in the future, I could buy a membership at any level TODAY for CHEAPER than I could have done it three years ago (because I only need to buy the level BELOW the one that I want).

I truly hope that Front Sight does indeed become a world-class resort with membership and real estate values in the stratosphere. I believe it would positively affect the general public's view of gun owners and firearms training more than any pro-gun organization in existence today. If they went about raising their money in a more level-headed way, from investors who are made aware of the risks involved (as they legally must be), instead of from their customers, who just have to make a leap of faith that everything will be as promised, I'd be more likely to get on board. But there are too many warning bells going off in my head for me to throw money at this thing.

Let's all hope that I'm wrong.

bill2
March 6, 2003, 07:17 PM
Thanks, Roy, for the information. I'm also a part of first family, but some of their marketing does seem over the top. I thought the pistol course I took was very good, but that is the only course and FrontSite is the only school I've been to.

Average Guy
March 6, 2003, 08:55 PM
While I don't doubt that they will, of course, practice a hands-off approach to its running and continue to promote and allow open and unbiased discussions...

Um...you were kidding, weren't you, Roy? Your <sarcasm> tags didn't show. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Idea What Happened to FrontSightAlumni.com?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!