.44 Magnum...Plated Bullets

PDA

VonFatman
January 10, 2005, 10:40 AM
I have a box (500) of Rainier 240gr. HP (plated) bullets.
On the shelf I have:

Blue Dot, Tight Group & 231.

I contacted Rainier, the man said to reduce the top-end loads offered in the manuals for JHP of JSP by 10% to find the Rainier top-end load...thus in theory I'd begin 20% below published "top end" and work up a max. of 10%.

Hmmm...

Would anyone have loads they would recommend? I'd sure appreciate any ideas.

Bob

If you enjoyed reading about ".44 Magnum...Plated Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
larryw
January 10, 2005, 05:30 PM
11 gr of Blue Dot was a good load for 240gr FP plated bullets for me (both pistol and lever gun). About 5 or 6 gr or 231 should also be a fun light (Special) load.

Don't run those plated bullets too hot or you'll peel the plating off like a banana skin.

VonFatman
January 10, 2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks Larry!
I'll give that load a try if I can manage to get converted over this evening.
I go pretty slow.

It's great to get a suggestion from someone who has actual experience with the bullets.

Bob

Black Snowman
January 10, 2005, 06:40 PM
Those are the same bullets I used to load up those target loads for you. I used 2400 for a powder but ~11 gr of Blue Dot should be dandy. Should make them about the same velocity as the 2nd batch I gave ya.

Happy loading :)

VonFatman
January 10, 2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks B.S. (did you plan on these initials?)
I appreciate the help the other day with the dies...
Another friend came buy and got me "figured out"...
It WAS operator error!

Bob

If you enjoyed reading about ".44 Magnum...Plated Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!