I'm Still Shakin'.

PDA

Waitone
March 4, 2003, 07:58 PM
Not for me. My daughter. She holds a graveyard shift job doing night audit at a local hotel. She came in this morrning a little agitated.

Seems last night in the wee hours of the morning someone came up the hotel door and started banging on the locked door demanding to get in. The guy looked and acted squirrelly sufficient to the point she refused him entrance. She was in the lobby, not behind the desk, talking to a frequent guest when all this occurred. When she refused, the guy outside pulled a gun on her and demanded to be let in. Just as fast, the guest pulled his CCH and convinced the outside guy to reconsider. The outside guy ran off. It was over in seconds. Within minutes LE drove by on patrol, no time for a panic button or phone call, just coincidence. The officer took a description and went out after the perp.

Needless to say her perspective just changed. I was teaching her to shoot but she was not interested in CCH. All is different. She is convinced the only thing that saved her from harm is the guest to whom she was talking.

Fortunately she will be 21 in two weeks. So tomorrow we will begin jumping through the legal hoops.

Thank God there was someone in the lobby who just happened to be packin' or I might be in a different state of mind.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm Still Shakin'." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geekWithA.45
March 4, 2003, 08:13 PM
Phew!

I'm glad it worked out for your daughter, and I thank god daily for both the 2nd amendment, and the honest folk to bring it to life.

P95Carry
March 4, 2003, 08:18 PM
I too breathe a huge sigh of relief for you and your daughter ....... indeed, coulda been so very different.

Yet again ya see .... and this never gets taken on board by the liberals ........ there are bad dudes out there .. the guys who will never be without a gun ... and so it behoves us to be in a position to balance the equation .. and SAVE lives.

Oh that this stuff was reported properly .... to ''balance the books'' a bit.

Marko Kloos
March 4, 2003, 08:32 PM
She is convinced the only thing that saved her from harm is the guest to whom she was talking.

It is unfortunate that so many people need a seminal event like that to realize the realities of life, but it's fortunate that your daughter came out of her event unharmed. Now she understands that there are bad people out there, and that she can be hurt or killed in mere seconds.

Get her a good carry gun and a CHL, and hope she will always remember the lesson.

Brian D.
March 4, 2003, 08:37 PM
Look at the good side: Some decent folk either get hurt BAD before they see the light, or worse yet, the only light they see is in the Afterlife! As soon as your daughter is trained and ready, she may bring a few more over to our side, and that's always good. Hey, she may even figure out from all this how smart her daddy is after all!

Drjones
March 4, 2003, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry about what happened, but of course all that matters is that no one was hurt, especially your daughter.

Like lendringser said, its sad that some people have to actually stare death in the face before they wake up.

The world isn't filled with nice people. There's a lot, a LOT, of scum and garbage out there.

Anyhow, take her shooting, get her her permit, and a good carry system.

Heck, maybe even remind her of the event once in a while just to make sure....

Just don't go overboard, of course...

Standing Wolf
March 4, 2003, 10:18 PM
I'm glad your daughter has seen the light of day before she truly needed a gun herself.

Blackhawk
March 4, 2003, 10:53 PM
Sometimes you learn more in 20 seconds of real life than in years of talking, thinking, and reasoning with others.

Glad everything worked out okay! :D

Justin
March 5, 2003, 03:40 AM
Chalk me up as being glad nothing bad happened.

I worked a night-audit gig at a motel for a few months, and was never without a carry piece. I never even had a remotely bad guest or experience, but found it comforting that if things went south I had some means to defend myself.

Oh, as to a holster recommendation, depending on the motel's dress code, you may want to look into a tuckable IWB holster.

twoblink
March 5, 2003, 03:45 AM
why we all encourage CCW's around here, because the life you save, might be someone's daughter's!!

Glad to hear everything is A-OK.

A gun owner is nothing more then a liberal who's been mugged.

voilsb
March 5, 2003, 04:21 AM
wow, I'm glad she came out of it OK. I'm glad the guest was carrying, too.

and very glad you're shaken, and not mourning.

4570Rick
March 5, 2003, 04:31 AM
I'm so glad you and your daughter don't live in the PRK.:)

**********...Land of victims. :banghead: :cuss: :fire:

WonderNine
March 5, 2003, 04:33 AM
Needless to say her perspective just changed. I was teaching her to shoot but she was not interested in CCH. All is different. She is convinced the only thing that saved her from harm is the guest to whom she was talking.

What does this not surpise me?

I'm glad she's ok.

Women.....

:(

:)

foghornl
March 5, 2003, 09:51 AM
Waitone:

Happy to know yoru daughter is OK. And as an added benny, is MUCH more interested in how to properly defend herself.

I don't work in any sort of "up close with the public" job, but you can bet the ranch that I would be packing, no matter what the law says. Could have been VERY ugly.

cordex
March 5, 2003, 09:59 AM
*whew* Glad it turned out okay.

Might consider buying your new buddy a few beers, eh?

CZ-75
March 5, 2003, 11:47 AM
Do you even need a CCW to carry at a place of employment?

A lot of states offer exclusions for home and work.

Chaz
March 5, 2003, 12:15 PM
why we all encourage CCW's around here, because the life you save, might be someone's daughter's!!

Well said, my friend.

It is sad that this incident will never be reported as "news" by the media.

Tall Man
March 5, 2003, 12:58 PM
A conservative is a liberal who has just been mugged.

Experience is a terrible teacher. It administers the test before it provides the lesson.

Needless to say her perspective just changed.
I hope so!

Glad to hear the girl is ok.

TM

XLMiguel
March 5, 2003, 01:46 PM
Glad everyone is OK. Though there's no such thing as a 'free' eduaction, very happy that the price of the lesson wasn't too dear.

When I was in college, I worked as a bellman at a 'nice' hotel in Roslyn, just over Key Bridge from Georgetown in DC. Being the new guy and summer help, I got the swing/late shift a lot and got to deal with a lot of 'interesting' characters (mostly drunks and a few hookers), but nothing truly dangerous. The lesson learnd, though, was that dealing with the public in a service position sucks, and even those in an upper class environment are not necessarily nice people, nor are they trustworthy.

JoeSF
March 5, 2003, 02:49 PM
Without the presece of the gun carrying citizen we could have had another crime on the books. The way it turned out we have a frightened would be felon. Unfortunaltely we dont get the statiststics of gun ownership preventing crime.

10-Ring
March 5, 2003, 03:02 PM
Good to hear no one was hurt & glad to hear that your daughter has seen the light w/o harm being done to her!

Don Gwinn
March 5, 2003, 07:30 PM
In Illinois, one of those two men would not have been armed. I wonder which one?

gryphon
March 5, 2003, 07:48 PM
It's sad that a lot of people do not see the benefit of concelaed carry. It's even sadder if they never get a second chance as your daughter has.

I'm glad she is not hurt and thankful is is all the more wiser to the ways of the world. I'm also thankful that she is taking steps to protect and better herself. So many people today would just go 'thank god the police showed"

Waitone
March 5, 2003, 08:03 PM
Update.

Working with appropriate agencies I found out she could apply for a permit to purchase before turning 21 but has to pick it up after turning. For CCW she has to be 21 before applying but she can take the mandated 8 hour course before turning.

Gameplan
She applied for a permit to purchase today.

She registered for a CCW class to be taught this saturday.

The shooting we've done thus far is with a Glock 17. She's come to the conclusion that a service pistol is not that reasonable for CCH, particularly for a female. We've had the discussion about alternatives. The good thing is the CCW class spends a fair amount of time going over the various kinds of handguns and means of carry. She got to handle a S&W Airweight 2" and liked it.

My daughter is the type that will act and act quickly once she decides something has to be done.

P95Carry
March 5, 2003, 08:05 PM
So many people today would just go 'thank god the police showed" Possibly very true, but ya know - therein lies the crux of the matter in fact. Not ''havin a go'' at LEO's here at all but I think most would admit that they are much more likely to be comin on a crime scene to ''mop up'' than be able to prevent harm.

For that reason alone, the ''protect'' part of their motto is all but invalid. They cannot be all places at all times. Therefore the inescapable logic is indeed the ''armed citizen'' ... the guy who can respond to threat directly and immediately, for himself and those around him ...... THAT fellow gun users, is the bottom line IMO.

I have said this before in some way ..... any and EVERY anti, Liberal, ********* should have to face a mandatory hold up ...... a scenario within which only possession by them or a bystander, could save the day. I am convinced they would be ''educated'' by such an experience!!

Yeah ... I am a cynic!!:)

4570Rick
March 5, 2003, 09:41 PM
She got to handle a S&W Airweight 2" and liked it.

I would have her shoot an Airweight before she buys it. Lot of recoil with a pistol that light.:)

twoblink
March 5, 2003, 10:33 PM
Your daughter has a cell phone right?

You mean, in that instance, taking out the phone, calling 911, and waiting 20 minutes wouldn't have resolved the situation?? But Sarah Brady says a cell phone is just as effective as a gun!! :rolleyes:

USGuns
March 5, 2003, 10:41 PM
The NRA publishes short stories like yours of honest folks exercising their 2nd Amendment rights to protect themselves all the time. Send it in! And glad it all worked out... :D

Zander
March 5, 2003, 11:12 PM
The bottom line is that your daughter was blessed to learn one of life's most basic lessons with nothing more than transient angst.

Obviously, she has a father who taught her to think critically. Extend that by letting her pick the carry piece and/or backup of her choice. The process will come as naturally as rain.

Sure glad that she is OK and that someone with forethought was there to step into the breach for her...

...let us know what she decides to train with and carry; her experience will help someone else who needs "convincing".

Waitone
March 6, 2003, 08:55 AM
Twoblink, Cell phone? Yep! But wait, there is more.

The hotel has video camera coverage. There is a panic button behind the desk. She carries pepper spray on her key chain which is always in her pocket. Desk doors are locked. Hotel doors are locked at the time of night.

And my personal favorite? Her hotel is a break spot for the local PD. Yes, thoughout the night she has black and white units parked in the front. One time she had 2 K-9 units on break on the lobby.

And it was all useless.

Marko Kloos
March 6, 2003, 09:01 AM
But Sarah Brady says a cell phone is just as effective as a gun!!

Never mind that the cell phone only serves to summon a man with a gun. The hypocrisy of the "dial 911" crowd is astounding...they don't mind guns being used to defend them, but they'd rather not get their own hands dirty by accepting that responsibility themselves.

T.Stahl
March 6, 2003, 11:36 AM
But Sarah Brady says a cell phone is just as effective as a gun!! :rolleyes:

Well, my cell phone is an old Siemens S10 active. It's so large it doubles as a short club. :D

Rickstir
March 6, 2003, 05:04 PM
Too bad this didn't make the headlines. That's what we need, more success stories in the press. Course, it would be hard to find a left leaning newspaper to print the unbiased truth.

twoblink
March 6, 2003, 08:47 PM
I had some say that to a friend of mine "Well, I have a cell phone, what do I need a gun for?"

My friend's reply was: "Because throwing the cell phone at him might give him a welt on his head, and that's it!!" :D

Although it sucks that it took an experience like this to "open the eyes", I'm glad she is ok, and she has joined the enlightened side.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm Still Shakin'." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!