Help solve the extra pin and J frame mystery

PDA

steelhead
January 10, 2005, 10:56 PM
I was dry firing my 637 when all of a sudden the trigger return started to bind and would not reset. I got out my tools and took off the sideplate and out fell this tiny pin. I could not find where it came from and the revolver now works just fine with no binding problems but I also now have the proverbial extra part. So, what is it and where does it go?

http://www.hunt101.com/img/239789.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/239806.JPG

If you enjoyed reading about "Help solve the extra pin and J frame mystery" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
January 10, 2005, 11:11 PM
Uh, gee, do you see the hole up there at the top of the sideplate recess, right in front of the hammer? Looks a lot like the firing pin retaining pin hole... and pin, to me.

Old Fuff
January 10, 2005, 11:30 PM
Judging from some earlier posts others have had the same problem. That's one reason I've stuck to the older S&W's with the firing pin on the hammer. I think that in the unlikely event I found myself with one of those I'd tap the hole on one side and substitute a small screw. That at least wouldn't be so likely to back out.

steelhead
January 11, 2005, 01:03 AM
Jim,

Thank you for the reply. It was one of those things were it is right in front of you but you can't see it.

Old Fluff,

Me my P&R Md19 agree on the older S&W's.

Jim K
January 11, 2005, 01:24 AM
They made it a loose fit so it would be easy to replace the firing pin without having a hole on the left side of the frame. It usually stays put when the side plate comes off, though. I suppose a screw could be fitted, but I don't know what would be gained in practical terms.

But something is puzzling. That pin is held in place by the sideplate. So the pin should not have been out of place and causing the binding. Either someone had the sideplate off before or something else is still wrong.

Jim

steelhead
January 11, 2005, 01:52 AM
I did have a smith a couple of months ago work on the trigger. I don't know where it fell out of as it landed on the floor. It could have been in the hole and just fell out and wasn't the cause of the problem. I have now dried fired it until both hands were sore and have not been able to replicate the earlier binding problem......don't know......

Old Fuff
January 11, 2005, 09:24 AM
Jim is right when he says if the pin is properly in place when the sideplate is reassembled the pin can't back out. But previous posts besides this one indicate that the pin is getting out and being unnoticed when, for whatever reason the sideplate is removed. If one end of the hole was threaded the pin wouldn't likely get out regardless of the sideplate - on or off. Of course threading one end of the hole and using a screw rather then a pin would cost a few pennies more. The whole purpose of the excercise of using cost-cutting parts and manufacturing methods is to save the gunmaker money, even though it sometimes may leave the gun user at risk. In this case the revolver hung up at a time when it didn't matter, but it might not always happen that way. S&W really needs to look at this and make some changes, even if the solution costs them a bit more. :fire: :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Help solve the extra pin and J frame mystery" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!