When was my Walther PP made?

PDA

firestar
March 4, 2003, 11:22 PM
The SN# is:389xxx does anyone know the Date of Manufacture?

If you enjoyed reading about "When was my Walther PP made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
firestar
March 5, 2003, 11:24 PM
btt

firestar
March 14, 2003, 12:58 AM
Come on, someone must know. Don't make me join a Walther forum just to find out.:(

LWCmdr45
March 14, 2003, 04:56 PM
If the serial number has no suffix letter, #389xxx is a Manurhin-made .32acp PP made sometime between the late 60's to the mid '70's. (Note: Even if it has German Walther markings, that SN was made by the French and simply shipped over the border for marketing by the Germans.)

If you go over to the PP/PPK forum, they have a resident expert that will pin it down more for you, but he requires the FULL serial number for his data base.

Steve

dbjack46
March 15, 2003, 12:20 PM
The date of manufacture for a Walther PP (at least on mine) is found at the right side of the pistol, stamped on the barrel, at the ejection port. This is a symbol of authenticity that, for this firearm, looks like an elk's antler. The date is located just to the left of that mark. My Walther has the date "73" meaning it was made in 1973. Armorers stamp a certification with something that looks like an exploding bomb which is also on the barrel and nearby on the slide.
How do you like your Walther? Wokmanship, ease of handling, carrying and accuracy? I've had mine for several years now and was first most impressed with the quality of its finish and smoothness of operation. My 18 year old daughter shoots as well as or sometimes better than me.

firestar
March 16, 2003, 12:11 AM
dbjack46,
Thanks for the info. Mine is a German PP NOT a Manurhin. The mark next to the elk horn stamp is 69 so I guess it was made in 1969. Cool.:cool: 1969, the hippy year. Far out man. Also next to the elk horn there is a German eagle over what looks like a "N" or a sideways "Z". That same mark is found on the bbl, slide and the frame. It is also marked Interarms Alexandria Virgina so I know it was imported.

I am very impressed with the fit and finish and overall workmanship. The gun really serves no purpose for me other than the fact that I always wanted a Walther PP (not a PPK for some reason). I think accuracy is very good but the trigger could be a lighter, it is quite smooth and crisp just really heavy in DA and a bit heavy in SA. I think once I break it in, it may lighten up a bit.

It is hard to believe that this gun is 34 years old! It looks great for its age considering that it is a small gun and could have served as a back up or CCW if someone wanted it to. It is rare to find small guns that are in great shape.

LWCmdr45
March 27, 2003, 03:28 AM
Not to beat a dead horse but, as I understand it, all post-war Walther PP-series guns were made in France until the mid-1980's despite the "Made in W. Germany" marking on the Walther-marketed models.

It started because Carl Walther needed money to rebuild his company. The pre-war plant was now in East Germany and he desperately needed cash to build a new factory in the chosen city of Ulm. To raise capital, he licensed the manufacture of the PP and PPK to Manurhin of Mulhouse, France, in the early 1950's and that's where all PP-series guns were made until a contract dispute in the mid-1980's. Those that were marketed by Manurhin were so marked and were French proofed; those that were marketed by Walther were delivered across the border to Ulm already finished and with the slide marked with the Walther banner, etc., where they were given a final inspection and any needed "tweaking," fit with Walther-marked grip panels and proofed by the Germans. (The "Crown over N" mark certfies it was "Nitro proofed;" the "antler" is the mark of the Ulm proofing house.)

I guess the fact that the German-marked guns were inspected/reworked/proofed in Germany might technically qualify them as "German made," but I stand by the facts that the
majority of the parts were French made and the major assembly was done on French soil. If you think about it, it isn't at all uncommon for a big name U.S. firearms company to farm out the manufacture of a rifle or shotgun to a company in a foreign land, so we shouldn't be surprised that the Germans did it, too.

Steve

firestar
March 27, 2003, 03:44 AM
LWCmdr45,
Thanks for the info. I had no idea. Oh well, I guess French made is better than made in China.:D

Could you do me a favor and keep it down a little? I don't want people finding out I bought a French a pistol.:uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "When was my Walther PP made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!