Polishing Stainless Steele

PDA

Dan Forrester
January 13, 2005, 01:22 AM
In order to improve the reliability of my suppressed 10/22 I’d like to polish the bolt and hammer where it slides against it. How does one do this? I have a bench grinder and think I have seen cotton or felt wheels for it at home depot. Is that what these are fore; polishing? Also I read to use jeweler’s rouge on the polishing wheel. Is this what to use?

Also could I polish the aluminum inside the receiver too? I’m planning on purchasing a dremil tool in the next week or two could this be used inside the receiver?

I’d like to keep this a Home Depot / Discount Auto Parts project. In other words no new equipment, or mail order stuff.

Thanks, Daniel Vaughn

If you enjoyed reading about "Polishing Stainless Steele" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bountyhunter
January 13, 2005, 07:21 PM
I have polished the EXTERNAL of my SS guns on occasion as follows:

1) Sand/oil with 400# papaer.

2) Sand/oil with 600# paper

3) Sand/oil with 800# paper.

4) hand rub with corase rubbing compound.

5) hand rub with fine compound.

6) Dremel/cottom wheel with ultra fine (clearcoat polish)

It can take a lot of rubbing to get a chrome shiny look.

In order to improve the reliability of my suppressed 10/22 I’d like to polish the bolt and hammer where it slides against it. Don't go crazy polishing internal fit surfaces as you are increasing tolerances.

Also could I polish the aluminum inside the receiver too? Most AL gun parts require a surface hardening to be usable in a gun. I never polish ANY aluminum part.

If you enjoyed reading about "Polishing Stainless Steele" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!