Question

PDA

jnh95
January 13, 2005, 11:51 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a few questions. I have a new Springfield Armory 1911-Loaded. I need some work done though. I would like to have the front strap checkered to 25 or 30 LPI (have not decided on which yet), the rear of the magazine well beveled more, a "trigger job" with trigger set to between 3 and 3.5 pounds, and a couple new parts fitted (new Ti hammer strut, Ti sear spring, Wilson trigger, mainspring housing and a few more).

Everyone I have talked with is back logged up to 4 months. Any recommendations on a good smith who is available to do the work ASAP?

Also, when this work is done, I am thinking of sending the gun to Rocky Mountain Arms to apply the Bear coat (Flat black slide over Grey receiver). Has anyone used this coating before? I need something that will stand up to daily carry in and around the coast line salt air. This coating has a life time warranty. Has anyone tried to use this warranty? These are the same people who do the Bear coat for Les Baer and a few others.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe,

James S.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
burrhead
January 13, 2005, 12:24 PM
Any really good gunsmith is going to have quite a backlog and you'll want a really good smith to do acceptable checkering. As to Bearcoat, check out this thread. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=86336

jnh95
January 13, 2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

Stay safe,

James S.

BluesBear
January 14, 2005, 01:09 AM
Look at the photos and decide for yourself.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=1460860

You can't make a decision based on one bad example.
NOTHING and NO ONE is perfect.

stans
January 14, 2005, 07:54 AM
3.0 to 3.5 pound trigger? That is a way scary trigger for a 1911. I have successfully done a 3.5 pound trigger on the gun I used in IPSC/USPSA limited 10 division, but now that I have quit the game I upped the pull to 4 pounds. Honestly, I would not attempt a pull of less than 4 pounds again and if this is a defensive pistol, I would go for 4.5 to 5 pounds.

jnh95
January 14, 2005, 11:26 AM
Stans,

3.5 is a very light trigger pull. I will re-evaluate the trigger pull and test more pistols with different pull settings. Thanks for your input and I will let ya know what happenes.

Blues Bear,

I read the long thread between BR and RMA. I also really liked the pic's you have posted.

Thank you both for the input. Stay safe,

James S.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!