Walther P22 Any opinions??

PDA

Psssniper
March 5, 2003, 02:17 AM
Saw one at the local shop for about 250 slightly used with two mags and the extra backstrap thingy. A couple questions for anyone who owns one.

Do you like yours, if so why?
Is this price to high or not?
thanks!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther P22 Any opinions??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SCarruth
March 5, 2003, 02:45 AM
Run a search on the firing line forum and here and you'll find some p22 owners with lots of problems and lots of good things to say.

Wildalaska
March 5, 2003, 02:57 AM
Nothing but good reports from everybody that I know that has bought em.

WildgoodvalueAlaska

Calanctus
March 5, 2003, 12:25 PM
Make sure you have the new mags (Serial number ends with -A) and use high velocity ammo, at least during break in, and you'll be a happy camper. I've had only 2-3 failures total, and those occurred when my P22 had gotten fairly dirty. Enjoy!

Plan-B
March 5, 2003, 12:42 PM
$250 for slightly used seems kind of high. I got mine for $222 new. You're region makes a difference in price so scope out some new prices in your area to compare. You'll find a few that like to bash the P22 for whatever personal reasons they have. I've had good experiences with mine. My cousin bought one the same time I did and hasn't cleaned it since he first shot it. It still shoots.

GrantLee63
March 5, 2003, 06:26 PM
..... Is what I paid for mine last weekend BRAND NEW. Great gun - just make sure it has the - A suffix magazines, and you'll be very happy .....

warrior23
March 5, 2003, 06:31 PM
I have the P22 with the 5 inch barrel its a great litttle gun.My only problems were the barrel shroud screw working its way loose and scratching the barrel and shooting with hollow points have a tendency to jam, if you stay clear of them you shouldnt have any problems and if you do go with the 5 inch barrel make sure the screws are torqued propery.

Coot
March 5, 2003, 10:47 PM
Santa brought one for my youngest son this past Christmas: lots for fun to shoot, but many, many failures to feed/eject until we put a brick or so thru it.

Zenon
March 6, 2003, 01:28 PM
First .22 I ever got, first gun I ever returned to the manufacturer for a refund. Big problem with the safety on older models (mine was a very low s/n). The safety would go into safe when firing a high percentage of the time making me think I had a misfire; if the gun is safety-on and the hammer dropped, 75% of the time the safety would move to the fire position.

I understand this has been fixed, see if you can compare the gun to a newer production unit and observe the fire and safe detents in the safety area, the "fix" is larger and deeper detents to hold the lever in place.

That said, I may actually get another one if I am totally convinced it's a good fix. This was like the Audi accelerator problem a few years ago, the Germans said it must be the driver... this car is perfect.

Diane
March 9, 2003, 08:41 AM
I've had mine for almost a year and I've had NO problems whatsoever with it! People seem to either really love it or hate it!
I think it's a fun gun to shoot :)

Diane

Gary Gill
March 10, 2003, 09:45 AM
I bought mine last Thanksgiving and really like it. I put about 2000 rounds of ammo through it so far. Remington golden bullets and CCI mini-mag are the most reliable fodder for it.

Jim Watson
March 10, 2003, 10:20 AM
A silly gimmick.
Get a Browning or Ruger.

Gary Gill
March 10, 2003, 10:33 AM
The Ruger and Browning are good guns for a different purpose. I use the Walther for teaching novice shooters the basics with a semi-automatic pistol. It has the same or similar features as most center-fire semi-automatics without the recoil. Different strokes for different folks.

Kentucky Rifle
March 10, 2003, 12:32 PM
My friend Ron Graham (the holster maker) sent me an e-mail with a picture of his new P-22 with the heading, "Fine German Handgun". And the recommendation that, "I run right out and buy one". Well, you KNOW how difficult it is to convince me to run right out and buy a new handgun":D ! So I did. I got one with a "L" serial number and the slots in the mags. Ron made me a holster for it and my P22 has been *nearly perfect from the start. I did have 2 or 3 FTF's, incredibly with "Stingers"~my favorite .22 caliber round! However a second strike, and the Stingers fired. <shrug> I also tried "Velocitors" with no problems. But, as I've said before, my particular P22 seems to like the truncated cone shape of "Yellow Jackets" and "Mini-Mags" best. (I can "feel" it.)
I paid $235.00 for mine (short version) and it is a hoot to play with! My wife wants her own. The only negative is the trigger. There's a little more take-up than need be. But hey! For $235.00, you couldn't expect a match trigger! One last thing. My P22 is WAY more accurate than you'd expect a little .22 auto to be. A Coke can at 50 feet has no chance at all! :)

KR

Handy
March 10, 2003, 01:43 PM
Personally, I don't understand the interest in a mostly plastic .22 plinker that is more expensive and less reliable than a host of finely made all metal pistols.

On the one hand you have the Rugers and Buckmarks, starting at $200.

On the other, the little PP style .22s like the FEG, Bersa and American Arms, starting at $150.

Plus, .22 adapters are also around $200 and make a combat gun into a reliable and familiar .22 pistol. Available for Beretta, Taurus, 1911, Glock, and CZ-75.

All three types are more reliable and are built much nicer. The P22 doesn't even work remotely like the P99 it is modeled on! I really don't get it.

Zenon
March 10, 2003, 07:27 PM
I took the refund money and bought a Buckmark, an excellent plinker and quite accurate. While the Buckmark is SA only, the one advantage to the P22 is the DA/SA transition; it is a great training aid for getting used to DA/SA, especially with that l o n g P22 DA pull.

I'll wait a while and see how they hold up over time before considering one again. In the meantime I'm going to find a .22 DA/SA like a TPH (yes, another Walther design) or something else for shooting on the cheap.

10-Ring
March 11, 2003, 02:18 AM
I prefer the fully dressed look on the longer barrel. I like the gun. Seems like a good option for 22lr ;)

puppage
March 11, 2003, 09:36 PM
I bought one a few months back & have run 400-500 rounds through it with NO jams, or problems at all. I've heard stories (from people who have the earlier version) that the firing pin doesn't strike properly...the saftey closes prematurely, etc. But, mine is wonderful!!!

Zenon
March 11, 2003, 09:56 PM
My other half liked it initially and actually made me buy it, but the plethora of problems soured it for good. I had multiple mags (probably the first generation :banghead: ) the sight mount, which was really cool since you could see the fixed sights under it, and was just about to buy the short barrel when I was told in no uncertain terms to "get rid of it and buy the Buckmark".

At least I get to keep guns around... :neener:

I hope y'all with the good new ones enjoy them muchly....

9x19
March 11, 2003, 10:49 PM
I already owned all the Buckmarks and Rugers I liked, so the P-22 was just an "extra".

I bought mine used, so I have no way of knowing for sure how many rounds it's fired, but I'd guess less than 500 when I bought it, and about 1500 since.

It has been trouble free for me and is a great, small, light, alternative to the Rugers and Brownings. Just learn to not give a darn what ohers think of a gun you like, and enjoy... I do! :D

Good luck...

emann
March 11, 2003, 11:08 PM
Goodness I've seen them new for a good bit less then that. :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther P22 Any opinions??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!