Just got offered a Colt Combat Commander...

PDA

Felonious Monk
January 14, 2005, 02:02 PM
A friend's father is very sick.

She just told me he has a Colt Combat Commander and would like me to help him sell it. It hasn't been shot in years.

I looked on Gunbroker, and they're all over the map, from $300 to $1,895.

Anyone know what a fair price would be for this pistol?

edit: Called him, and he said it's blued, all original, ser # 70BS368xx.
No box, one original mag.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just got offered a Colt Combat Commander..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BryanP
January 14, 2005, 02:37 PM
Can you post some pictures, or at least a serial # range and description? That might help.

Felonious Monk
January 14, 2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks Brian! I've edited in the info into my original post...please let me know what you all think!

FM

Felonious Monk
January 14, 2005, 11:38 PM
Oh, and sights are standard--no nites or big dots etc...
Anybody? Gimme some kind of ballpark to work with?

rbernie
January 15, 2005, 12:18 AM
I've seen 'em from $450 to $600, depending on condition (presuming that it's a 45ACP). The 9mm version tends to go for a bit less.

Kenneth Lew
January 15, 2005, 12:29 AM
What is the condition of the gun?

People down here go crazy for 70 series guns here especially if it is LNIB. No box and an unknown condition would set the gun to sell quick would be $450 to $550.00 range. If the gun is in .38 super/9mm and in very excellent condition, I know of a person that collects those.

Email me @ k100355@swbell.net.

Thanks.

Kenneth Lew

Siggyboy
January 15, 2005, 01:00 AM
You don't give much info on the pistol or its condition. I bought a used series 80 Mk IV Colt Combat Commander that had some nice but minor documented custom work done to it for about $650 a few yrs ago. It was in excellent condition. Without knowing more about the pistol in question I would guess it might be worth about $500, maybe more.

paul45
January 15, 2005, 09:10 AM
FWIW..i just paid 450 for a series 80 combat commander...a series 70 500 -550 matbe ,if its at least 90%

countertop
January 17, 2005, 11:37 PM
I looked at a late 70s Colt Combat Commander today that was on consignment for $725 (and had been for some time). I am thinking of offering $650 for it and got the impression while talking to the folks selling it that that would be a very reasonable offer.

Old Fuff
January 18, 2005, 12:12 AM
It was made in 1975 - at a time before Colt changed to making parts by metal injected molding (MIM) and other production short-cuts. The sights should be of the old USGI style with no dots or inserts. I would think that in the stated condition it should be worth at least $500.00 and probably a lot more. It's a lot more gun then the current crop of USGI copies from Springer and others.

BluesBear
January 18, 2005, 02:48 AM
In the Seattle area I have seen pre Series 80, Colt Combat Commanders priced anywhere from $450 to $700 depending on condition.

Ala Dan
January 18, 2005, 04:16 AM
Greeting's All-

In unknown condition, a pre-owned series 70 Colt Combat Commander
should start out at no more than $475 sight unseen! If perhaps its in
LNIB condition, the value could be much higher provided the caliber
is .45 ACP. Satin Colt Combat Commanders were much more scarce.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

sgb
January 19, 2005, 05:47 PM
First Colt never made a Series 70 Commander :banghead: or LW Commander or Combat Commander. :banghead:

The Series 70 governments incorperated a Collet bushing and new Barrel design that was never introduced into the Commander line.

As for Value in average condition it should go for $500 - $550. :evil:

Old Fuff
January 19, 2005, 07:21 PM
Bicker .... Bicker .... Bicker. :neener:

O.K. we can call it a "pre Series 80" then. :D

What ever you call it, anyone who buys it will get a lot more quality then we see on the new-gun market today for anything near what this one will probably sell for.

WhoKnowsWho
January 20, 2005, 09:48 AM
As for Value in average condition it should go for $500 - $550.

I wish people knew that around here at the shows, I normally don't see them below $600. :cuss:

Ala Dan
January 21, 2005, 08:44 AM
I had an all steel Colt Combat Commander around 1973 or so,
with a serial prefix begining 70BS XXXX therefore I
would classify it as a 70 series model.

Best Wishes,

C. H. Luke
January 21, 2005, 09:03 PM
About 5 yrs. ago paid $600 for a 9mm Govt. Model MK IV, Series 70 with small roll marks made in 1980 {70L18XXX}.

2-3 yrs. ago an all steel 9mm Commander made in 1977 {70BS55XXX} with Novak nite-sights, Brown Beavertail & Videcki trigger, etc. for $600. As far as can tell the 9mm's command a slightly higer price than .45 due to numbers made.

Says "Commander Model" on the slide. The Govt. Mod. had the collet bushing while the Comm. had a blue solid bushing.

Both have fitted EGW bushings now {not "angle-bore"} on the original Colt barrles. Them Colt barrels are very, very accurate even with own generic handloads using good plated bullets! :)

BluesBear
January 21, 2005, 11:19 PM
Having a serial number prefex of 70BS does NOT make it a Series 70 Pistol.
Just as NOT having a firing pin interlock does NOT make one a Series 70 Pistol.

THE single biggest defining factor of the Colt MkIV Series 70 pistol was the Fingered Barrel Bushing in conjunction with the stepped muzzle barrel.

THE single biggest defining factor of the Colt MkIV Series 80 pistols is the firing pin interlock safety.

Since there were NO Colt Commander pistols ever produced with a fingered bushing and stepped barrel therefor there were NO Colt Series 70 Commanders.

Plus the simple fact that Colt NEVER referred to any Commander as Series 70 but they DO however refer to some as Series 80.

Now I acknowledge the fact that Colt chose to reissue is Government Model and Gold Cup Model, both without fingered bushings and stepped barrels, and call it a Series 70 pistol is a tad bit confusing. However notice that Colt has NOT produced ANY model of Commander or Officers ACP and deemed them to be Series 70 pistols.

Therefore there ain't no such thing as a Series 70 Commander or Officers ACP.

To be accurate the non-Series 80 Commander Models should be called Series 40 and non-Series 80 Government Models should be called Series 10. :neener:

countertop
January 21, 2005, 11:41 PM
Thanks BluesBear

Thats a really helpful post!!

I've been looking at a Colt Commander as well. I would really like to get a Colt 1911 - and have come across 2 pre 80s model Commanders that I would consider purchasing (most of the full size ones I've seen are in bad shape and I don't want to really buy a new one and support today's Colt Management - even though they are making some awfully nice looking guns - if you can find them).

Anyway, does anyone have an opinion on how these shoot. The shorter barrel concerns me with such a powerful cartridge. How is the recoil? How much has accuracy suffered as a result?

GaryP
January 22, 2005, 01:03 AM
I own a Blue Colt Combat Commander that I purchased NIB in 1976, Serial # 70BS313xx. According to the book "Colt's, Dates of Manufacture" by R.L. Wilson, page 41, Serial #'s 70BS26001 - 70BS37900 were manufactured in 1975. Accordingly your Combat Commander was made in 1975 as was mine! Mine has less than 100 rounds through it and is 98%+. I have been offered $800 for mine but it is not for sale! I gave $299 for it NIB 29 years ago!

The 2001 "Blue Book of Gun Values", Twenty-Second Edition, by S.P. Fjestad, page 419, lists these as "Series 70 Combat Commander" with the following values:

100% / $875; 98% / $725; 95% / $625; 90% / $525; 80% / $450;

70% / $375; 60% / $300. There is a footnote that says add 10% for NIB!

Keep in mind these values are 4 years old and will be somewhat higher now! :scrutiny:

I hope this information helps! :)

Gary
:evil:

Ala Dan
January 22, 2005, 07:44 AM
According to the 25th edition of Gun Trader's Guide the all steel
Colt Combat Commander was made from 1950-1976; and in excellent
condition carries a value of $575*.

Also, the Colt Lightweight Commander started with serial prefix CLW
for Colt Light Weight.

* FootNote- price to be used as a starting point.

Best Wishes,

BigG
January 22, 2005, 08:07 AM
THE single biggest defining factor of the Colt MkIV Series 70 pistol was the Fingered Barrel Bushing in conjunction with the stepped muzzle barrel.

Although it is true about the bushing and stepped bbl, I would argue the single biggest defining factor is the FREAKING HUGE rollmarks that say "SERIES 70" on the slide. ;) :D

BluesBear
January 22, 2005, 06:25 PM
While the Lightweight Colt Commander which was simply called the Commander was introduced for 1950, it was almost 20 years before the all steel Combat Commander appeared.

Felonious Monk
February 1, 2005, 02:04 PM
She brought it by the house last night and asked me to get a fair price for it...
it is BEAUTIFUL!
Looks like it's never been fired...(edit to say: at least not much)

Do you guys think $650 is too much? Would that be a good starting point, or am I going too low?

I can post pics here in a day or so...

Snake Eyes
February 1, 2005, 02:26 PM
Why don't you just agree to take $600 for it, and then send me a pm with an address for me to send a money order, and another address for me to send the ffl.

That way you're done with it and don't have to screw around!

Really. Do it now.

Peter

GaryK
February 1, 2005, 02:35 PM
Here in Houston a Commander in that condition would easily bring $750+. I saw a Series 70 Government Model in near new condition at a show this weekend with an asking price of $850. The prices on these guns are rising rapidly. I traded into a 90% Series 70 Government Model that is stock except for Micro sights and a FLGR this weekend. I have about $575 of trade value into it and consider that I got a reasonable deal. I saw a 90% blued Commander and a 90% Satin Commander that both had asking prices of $600. I suspect the drive out prices would have been between $550 and $575. Like new Gold Cups of the same era have asking prices of around $1100 or so.

Felonious Monk
February 1, 2005, 05:44 PM
Okay...now that I've had some time to go over it, here's an update: Took it up to my FFL and he was very excited, and offered me $550 and said he could EASILY make a hundred to $150 on it retail, with a little cleanup. He saw some things I didn't; there's some real light pitting where the web of your hand behind your index finger crosses behind the grip, and a touch of light discoloration on the hammer. He said BOTH of these would come out with a little steel wool, but I'll leave that to whoever buys it. He said conservatively it was at least 96%, but maybe better than that.

Old fella I'm selling it for was in the Mekong Delta as a .50 cal gunner. I could tell he had ALOT of stories to tell, but it wasn't the time or place to hear them, with his illness.
I told him we should go have a burger or a glass of tea sometime, mainly because it seemed there was alot he wanted to talk about. Maybe a book to write one of these days!!!

FM

DoubleAction
February 1, 2005, 07:35 PM
Starting with the Mark IV / Series '70, in 1970, Colt started using serial number prefixes to indentify certain models; In 1979 the prefixes changed. The pre '70 Colt's are those which were manufactured prior to the Series 70. Although the Mark IV / Series 70 is known for it's Collet Bushing; The Combat Government also came from the factory with the same bushing, with no markings indentifying it as a Series 70, except for it's serial number prefix of "70".

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195114/oldschool03.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195114/cgm04.jpg

Felonious Monk
February 1, 2005, 08:25 PM
DA-- with barrel facing to the left, the slide on this one says

Combat ............... .... Automatic
Commander COLT ...Caliber .45 (Picture of horse)

--with barrel facing to the right, the slide says
COLT'S COMBAT COMMANDER

Does that clarify anything?

FM

DoubleAction
February 1, 2005, 08:46 PM
Absolutely one of my favorites; It too has a "70" series serial number. I would not part with this one if I was offered $1,000., although I have other pistols that could replace it. Monk; If the pitting is not on the frame, but rather the grip safety, your in excellent shape. The trigger can be replaced with a new and better one from whoever buys it. I look at the Frame, Slide, and Barrel, the condition, finish, and fit; Everything else is easy.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195114/comdr01.jpg

DoubleAction
February 1, 2005, 10:04 PM
After giving the sale of the pistol in question some thought, I would recommend that you find a dealer, with some good traffic, and sell it on cosignment. The chances of getting what the gun is worth is much better than selling straight out to a dealer. If it has a good slide to frame fit,good barrel lockup, polished blued flats,with no scratches, or edges rubbed bare; The gun should easily bring $700. It all really depends on the local market for Colts and the economy, many people are buying into the newer pistols that come from the factory with modifications that are considered custom items with the older Colts.

Felonious Monk
February 2, 2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks DA, and ALL of you knowledgeable folks who helped me on this.

Someone from THR has contacted me with an offer, I presented that to my friend and she was happy with it, so it's sold pending funds at a level that's been mentioned by you guys in this thread.

Maybe not what it *might* have brought, but if both parties are happy, I feel like good was done all around.

Plus, if it's a few bucks less than maximum (benefits a THR brother in arms) but more than the seller expected (benefits my local friend), I call that a Win-Win!

FM

ulflyer
February 3, 2005, 09:01 AM
"What the heck is a fignozzle, anyway?"

A musical instrument: a 12 inch hollow pipe that you blow into both ends at same time. :)

Felonious Monk
February 3, 2005, 01:57 PM
good one, ulflyer.

It's actually a mispronounced cuss word by an old lady with a thick German accent that made us delinquent teenagers roll on the floor laughing until she chased us with the butcher knife or soup ladle or whatever else fell to hand for her at the time. She was my best friends' mom.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just got offered a Colt Combat Commander..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!