Dude, that's one bullet-riddled Dell

PDA

2dogs
March 5, 2003, 07:01 AM
http://www.thedailycamera.com/bdc/lafayette_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2425_1786586,00.html

Dude, that's one bullet-riddled Dell

Lafayette bar owner arrested after four bullets fired into laptop computer

By Aimee Heckel, Camera Staff Writer
March 4, 2003

LAFAYETTE — George Doughty's computer will never crash again. It will never run again, either.

Doughty was jailed Sunday on suspicion of shooting his Dell computer four times with a revolver earlier that day in the middle of the Sportsman's Inn Bar and Restaurant.

He then allegedly hung the destroyed laptop on the wall "like a hunting trophy," said Lt. Rick Bashor with the Lafayette Police Department.

Doughty, 48, of Broomfield owns the Sportsman's Inn, 103 N. Public Road.

Around 10 a.m. Sunday, police said, Doughty entered the bar from his office, announced he was going to shoot his computer and returned to his office. After 30 minutes, police said, Doughty set his laptop on the floor 4 to 6 feet away from him, warned two customers at the bar to cover their ears and fired away. The computer took all the bullets. No one was injured.

"It's sort of funny, because everybody always threatens their computers," Bashor said, seconds before his own computer at the Lafayette police station froze.

But because Doughty is accused of putting the customers and bartender in danger, he was arrested on suspicion of felony menacing, reckless endangerment and the prohibited use of weapons. He was released Monday evening from the Boulder County Jail on a personal recognizance bond. His next court appearance is at 2 p.m. Wednesday.

Bashor said the last time he remembers a computer being held at gunpoint was about eight years ago when a man shot his computer with a rifle. The man's wife was moving out and wanted to take the computer, so the man shot it, Bashor said.

"This time was unique," Bashor said. "It was the first time someone shot a computer because he was upset with it."

In police reports, Doughty said that he realized afterward that he shouldn't have shot his Dell but that at the time it seemed appropriate.

He declined to comment Monday.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dude, that's one bullet-riddled Dell" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Big_R
March 5, 2003, 07:09 AM
OMG! Elvis is alive and running a bar in Lafayette.

Ryan

Bainx
March 5, 2003, 07:16 AM
I vividly recall the joy of putting a 30-06 from an M1 into a defunct Cannon printer one day, but it was at a plinking range.

El Tejon
March 5, 2003, 08:07 AM
This won't help the CCW reform in Red's legislature.:( Silly cowboy (allegedly).

buzz_knox
March 5, 2003, 08:32 AM
Based on the precedent set in the case of Bubba vs. One Jukebox, as documented by Mark Chestnut, I believe this shooting should be ruled as justifiable homicide.

Triad
March 5, 2003, 08:43 AM
Yes that precedent covers the reckless endangerment. The felony menacing should be dropped because computers aren't people and can't really be "menaced". So all he has to worry about is the prohibited use of firearms.

Tamara
March 5, 2003, 08:43 AM
What's the big deal? He made sure of his backstop and even asked bystanders to plug their ears... :D

BigJake_old
March 5, 2003, 09:03 AM
hahaha, it warnt reckless endangering, he knew right where he was aiming

Selfdfenz
March 5, 2003, 11:02 AM
"Doughty was jailed Sunday on suspicion of shooting his Dell computer four times with a revolver earlier that day in the middle of the Sportsman's Inn Bar and Restaurant."

Hope that's a misprint.
S-

45R
March 5, 2003, 11:21 AM
I bet if you hooked that Dell up to a Monitor it would probably still work. :)

DeltaElite
March 5, 2003, 11:24 AM
So what's the crime?
Damn puters need to be taught a lesson from time to time. :neener:

bogie
March 5, 2003, 12:00 PM
He should DEFINITELY ask for a jury trial - I sure wouldn't convict him...

Blackhawk
March 5, 2003, 12:05 PM
He should DEFINITELY ask for a jury trial - I sure wouldn't convict him...

Zactly! :D

dude
March 5, 2003, 12:26 PM
.............if he was a happy Apple Powerbook user this would not have happened!

oh wait, they prolly don't know about Macs down there

bogie
March 5, 2003, 12:34 PM
You've obviously never heard the dreaded dirge of death...

I _hate_ Macs... I used to support a whole bunch of 'em.

Of course, that was back in the day of floppies, where the average system glitch required the user to hear the dreaded words "You're going to have to reinstall your system."

El Rojo
March 5, 2003, 07:30 PM
I have a hard time wanting to put a bar owner away for safely discharging a firearm in his own business. We could come up with all sort of ifs, but the facts are, no one was hurt. If a guy wants to shoot his lap-top, let him.

XLMiguel
March 5, 2003, 08:02 PM
This made the evening news here in DC. All the talking heads were jovial and unanimous in the opinion that some computers just need shooting, and that it must have feel real good at the time. Apparently, one of the customers called the cops, hopefully that person will find a new place to imbibe.

I'm bilingual (both Macs & Wintel), and I can say that it is indeed, most satifying to plug one (of either persuaion), preferably with a major caliber.

George Hill
March 5, 2003, 08:27 PM
Dude! Your shooting a Dell!

Standing Wolf
March 5, 2003, 08:59 PM
I've got a six-month-old top of the line Macintosh that's infuriated me nearly enough to pull the trigger. The I.B.M. hard drive was defective. It took my local Apple authorized disservice center two weeks to replace it. The DVD drive was defective. The so-called "tech support" kid insisted I take the machine back to the local Apple authorized disservice center to have it replaced. I demanded to speak with his supervisor, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. In theory, a replacement DVD drive is on its way.

It's probably not the computer's fault Apple doesn't do Q.C. any more, but...

bad_dad_brad
March 5, 2003, 09:09 PM
I felt that way about my IBM windows laptop until I got an eMac. I love mine. Standing Wolf, what kind of Mac do you have?

thumbtack
March 5, 2003, 09:25 PM
"It's sort of funny, because everybody always threatens their computers,"

I never threatened my computer.

"It was the first time someone shot a computer because he was upset with it."

I don't think so and it won't be the last.

NapAttack
March 6, 2003, 12:01 AM
11 years with IBM and 9 years with Kodak servicing PC and Apple computers. Wish I had a nickel for every time I thought about doing that.

dude
March 6, 2003, 12:22 AM
my iBook has been flawless for going on 4 years now

J-Man
March 6, 2003, 12:40 AM
I'm a firefighter here in Lafayette and I didn't hear anything about it!
At least the cops are pretty cool here- but we DO run a lot of calls to the Sportsman's....
Justin

freeride21a
March 6, 2003, 08:02 AM
ive pointed my .45 at my computer...it worked too, it stopped crashing.

oh, and a hard drive will stop a .45acp 230gr shot one up in the desert.

Chris Rhines
March 6, 2003, 02:29 PM
In all seriousness, why was this guy charged with anything? He discharged his firearm into his computer, on his property. If anyone of the bar patrons had a problem with this, they were free to leave at any time.

- Chris

blades67
March 6, 2003, 04:13 PM
It was a stupid thing to do, even if that Dell did have it coming.:neener:

Sindawe
March 6, 2003, 07:32 PM
Dude: Yea, we've heard about Macs here. Used to use'em as door stops and paperweights when I toiled in the Bloodmines of Boulder. :) But that was before Apple went w/ a Unix based OS.

J-Man: HEY! Another fellow from my town! Frell me dead! I have to concur that the LEOs here are decent. At least so far as I don't get asked a bunch of quesitons about where am I going, what am I doing, that sort of thing when I go outside. Used to get that fairly often in the People's Republic of Boulder. Funny that you run lots of calls the the Sportsman's, I woulda thunk that Dillengers would get more action (Dillengers seems to attract a rowdier crowd)

I find it rather amusing that I had to hear of this incident on the Internet, when I live/work in the town this happend in.

Standing Wolf
March 6, 2003, 09:37 PM
I felt that way about my IBM windows laptop until I got an eMac. I love mine. Standing Wolf, what kind of Mac do you have?

It's a Macintosh desk top G4 with two processors at 1,000 MHz. The replacement DVD drive hasn't been delivered yet. The eight or nine preceeding Macintoshes have been champions, but this one has given me nothing but grief.

I'm not going to shoot it, but when it's time to buy a new one, I'm going to have to think long and hard about switching brands.

labgrade
March 7, 2003, 02:07 AM
'Tejon, that's Lafayette, Colorado - kinda just outside of Boulder (prolly catch hell for that geographical description ;) )

I'm kinda wondering what's the deal too. Assuming a safe backstop, private property, et al .... yeah, I know, "discharging a firearm w/in city limits w/o cause" yada. Sheesh, he told the patrons to hold their ears. ;)

Wonder who dropped the dime on 'im.

Had a giy at Digital - early 80s who went off (to say the least), shot his GF, came into work early hours, smoked a few Vax-clusters & ended his own sorry existence in-house.

The drives all came around - "takes a shootin' & keeps on bootin'" was the "party line" for a time ....

45+ pound 250 meg drives were a bit more robust earlier on.

riverdog
March 7, 2003, 08:41 AM
I have a Dell Laptop (Inspiron, 1000MHz CPU running XP); it's been a great machine. I'll be getting another when this one starts to feel slow.

Monte Harrison
March 7, 2003, 09:22 AM
Did you guys see the headline next to that story? "Rage Against the Machine". :D

I used to work for a company that had only Macs. I found they lacked work ethic. There is a reason why they say "BONG" when you start them up. :neener:

Nathaniel Firethorn
March 7, 2003, 10:08 AM
Couple of weekends ago I expressed my opinion of TurboTax. :fire: :mad: :barf: :banghead: :evil: In .45 and .22 caliber. ;)

I've been thinking of a PC shoot at the next local THR meet. :D :D

- pdmoderator

gun-fucious
March 7, 2003, 12:51 PM
obviously, shooting a laptop is not a one shot stop with a pistol

i prefer to heave them in the wood chipper while they are blue screening

Gewehr98
April 2, 2003, 11:33 AM
for deep penetration. Sure, they may stop the platter from spinning:

http://mauser98.com/m52drivetest.jpg

158gr +P SWC's do much better:

http://mauser98.com/ppcdrive.jpg

But centerfire rifle rounds are just the thing for computers that have outlived their usefulness:

http://mauser98.com/drives.jpg

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144972&highlight=hard+drive

Bonker
April 2, 2003, 12:18 PM
I fired a 20mm cannon through a 15" color monitor. It blew little chunks of colored wires and glass across the ground for about 100 feet :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Dude, that's one bullet-riddled Dell" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!