Breaking in a barrel

PDA

CZguy
January 15, 2005, 06:46 PM
What's the best way to break in a new barrel?

(CZ-527 in .223)

If you enjoyed reading about "Breaking in a barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Soap
January 15, 2005, 08:24 PM
I just shoot it, then I clean it after the first shooting session. Repeat as necessary.

Guyon
January 15, 2005, 09:55 PM
Here's a blurb from the late Mr. Gale McMillan. On this subject, I'm more apt to believe Mr. McMillan's words than most others.

"As a barrel maker I have looked in thousands of new and used barrels
with a bore scope and I will tell you that if every one followed the
prescribed break in method A very large number would do more harm than
help. The reason you hear of the help in accuracy is because if you
chamber barrel with a reamer that has a dull throater instead of cutting
clean sharp rifling it smears a burr up on the down wind side of the
rifling. It takes from 1 to 2 hundred rounds to burn this bur out and
the rifle to settle down and shoot its best. Any one who chambers rifle
barrels has tolerances on how dull to let the reamer get and factories
let them go longer than any competent smithe would. Another tidbit to
consider, Take a 300Win Mag. that has a life expectancy of 1000 rounds.
Use 10% of it up with your break in procedure for ever 10 barrels the
barrel maker makes he has to make one more just to take care of the
break in. no wonder barrel makers like to see this."

Source? http://yarchive.net/gun/barrel/break_in.html

rbernie
January 15, 2005, 10:16 PM
I like to use JB Bore Bright (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1161&title=J-B+BORE+BRIGHT) on my new barrels.

Quintin Likely
January 16, 2005, 12:28 AM
There's a few different schools on breaking in barrels. One side says that on less expensive (cheaper, if you want to use that term) barrels, shoot one/clean one may help smooth out any factory imperfections that might be in the tube. Then there's the camp that says with high grade match barrels, you won't notice any difference if they're broken in or not, since they're probably about as good as they'll get from the manufacturer.

I just shoot and clean.

g56
January 16, 2005, 01:17 AM
Shoot it, when you get home clean it, repeat as necessary! :)

kaferhaus
January 16, 2005, 01:50 AM
When I buy a new rifle, I thoroughly clean it, and then push a dry patch down the barrel, If I feel and rough spots, then I use JBs bore polish on it until the dry patch will slide down the barrel smoothly. Then I just shoot it and clean as you normally would.

The JB treatment is VERY time consuming and some brand new barrels will never smooth out... I have had a couple that never would smooth up but surprisingly shot very well, they just copper fouled bad. I've had others that were extremely smooth and they shot like crap....

What got me started on this is I had a 222 that just wouldn't shoot like it should have and coppered up. I tried the JB and the gun shot like a house afire and virtually no copper fouling out of it anymore.

I have a couple CZs and they both have good barrels, one only took about 30 minutes with the JB and the other was so smooth on the first dry patch that I didn't bother.

NightWolfe
January 16, 2005, 05:55 AM
definatly agree with Mr. Gale McMillan on this one ...

CZguy
January 16, 2005, 08:48 AM
Outstanding info! Thank you all very much. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Breaking in a barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!