Login required for searching: policy change?

PDA

PenHolder
March 5, 2003, 01:04 PM
As I took an idle moment to "View Today's Active Threads" this morning, I noticed that I was required to log in before proceeding.

Why does THR now require registration and log-in before searching?

While it's merely inconvenient for me (and it is; yes, I know what cookies are, I've implemented cookie handling in an HTTP client), I worry that it will serve to dissuade casual or first-time visitors from exploring THR.

Imagine a newbie walking through a list of firearms links (or search-engine results) and coming across THR:

"Hmm, nice look. Alright, let me see what's been said about X. Or what's going on today. Register? But I hardly even know what's here, why bother?"

[Back] [http://someotherboard.com/]

"Ahh, there we go, wow, that guy seems to know all about the 790 DuckSlapper Express, and hey, here's a solution to the problem I've been having with my Tactical Elite Speed-cocker!"

[Add Bookmark]

I learned a lot from searching and lurking on TFL, when I first discovered gun forums. That's what led me here in the first place.

I realize that THR isn't in a (lewd verb)-ing contest with other boards for membership; I just think it'd be a shame for folks to miss out on such a fine forum.

$.02US,

PH

If you enjoyed reading about "Login required for searching: policy change?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
March 5, 2003, 01:39 PM
Sorry, PenHolder, that was my fault. It was a personal 12 hour experiment to see if non-registered "guests" were hogging the server with cycle stealing searches. I was seeing some attrocious performance last night and at the same time there was around 10 guests doing searches. The experiment showed that it isn't the searches, I was still seeing minute long page refreshes this morning. Everything is now back to normal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Login required for searching: policy change?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!