What's this pistol worth?

PDA

Preacherman
January 20, 2005, 12:28 PM
A buddy of mine wants to sell an Erma Luger in .380 ACP. It's brand spanking new, in the box, and looks unfired. It comes with all original accessories, including two magazines, and the Erma lapel pin. It really is mint, and the box is also mint - looks like the day it left the factory.

I've seen a rather worn Erma, without box or accessories (or second magazine), on auction for something over $500. What would a brand-new, unfired Erma be worth? Any ideas? Because this is a collector's piece (particularly to Luger collectors), I've no idea what the going rate would be.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's this pistol worth?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MrMurphy
January 20, 2005, 12:32 PM
Depending on when it was made, anywhere from $500-2,000.

Preacherman
January 20, 2005, 02:57 PM
Err... nice to know, especially the high end, but where can I get a firmer estimate? :D

larryw
January 20, 2005, 03:58 PM
Let the market tell you: put it for sale on Gunbroker.com with a healthy ($3K?) reserve price. That will tell you what someone is willing to pay for it, now. And if he hits the high reserve, well, happy day. If he doesn't hit the reserve, he can then reprice or decide to keep it.

Old Fuff
January 20, 2005, 06:49 PM
Preacherman:

I hate to be the one to throw some cold water on this, but ... :(

Prior to World War Two Erma made a very high-quality .22 conversion kit for Luger pistols, and it is these that collectors lust over, and for good reason.

Following the war someone put the name on a line of cheap, low-quality pistols in .22 and .380 caliber (and maybe .32) that looked like a scaled-down "baby" Luger, but had no connection to the originals. From previous experience with other people's guns I would say that it is a good one not to have.

However since I haven't examined the gun in question get a second opinion.

One possible clue: The Erma pistols I've described were imported by a distributor named EXCAM. See if there is anything in the paperwork with the gun that relates to this company.

stans
January 21, 2005, 07:24 AM
My guess is that this is a Erma KGP68 or KGP68A (magazine safety added), NIB would bring $450, maybe $500 tops. If it is the Excam KGP 380 it is valued at about $250 to $300.

gvass
January 21, 2005, 07:49 AM
Another example: effect of different gun laws.

The ERMA KGP (Kniegelenkpistole = toggle action pistol) was originally designed as free to own gas-alarm pistol (8 mm Knall) in Germany
(check this out: http://www.muzzle.de/N4/Schreckschuss/ERMA_KGP_690/erma_kgp_690.html)

For that purpose (bullettless blankfirer) it was great quality as earlier versions had steel toggle. But for a real firearm, the frame made of zinc was not so "everlasting".

http://www.muzzle.de/N4/Schreckschuss/ERMA_KGP_690/muzzle_erma_kgp690_plastik.JPG

johnleb
August 8, 2007, 08:37 PM
We have one of these in the shop for repair right now. The firing pin broke as the factory wasn't heat treating correctly. Takes 6-8 weeks for a replacement, the owner has asked us to make him a new one, which we are doing.

Billy Bob says these things break all the time, so nice to have if you can fix it, difficult if you can't.. so we'll take all your broken ones right now at scrap prices! :)

briansp82593
August 9, 2007, 12:57 AM
just bought a slightly used one for 200, if you do buy it and it is a KGP 68, i would love to buy one of your mags at a reasonable price :D mine came with one :( good luck on your buy! its a great, fun, economical shooter!

Shear_stress
August 9, 2007, 07:30 AM
What would a brand-new, unfired Erma be worth?

Check Gunbroker. There are always a few Erma Luger knock-offs for sale.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's this pistol worth?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!