Opinions keep 92FS or get P99?


January 21, 2005, 11:34 AM
I have been shooting for about 2 years now. My first purchase was a stainless 92FS in 9 mm which I liked at the time due to its size and ease of take down. Last weekend I shot my friends P99 (.40) which I found very comfortable and seemed to shoot well. I did not have the 92 with me that day since I also own the CZ P-01 (which I absolutely love) so I could not compare the two.

So why can't I keep both? I would be trading in the 92 towards the P99 which my local gun shop owner seems to think he could move the 92 pretty quickly since the gun is well maintained and hardly used (less than 500 rounds). He would prolly throw some ammo in to cover the differnce in price. If I remember right the p99 is around $550. I paid close to $700 for the 92.

I feel like the 92 is just a bit big in my hands. I have short fingers. I still can't help but feel I am rushing away from her though? Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions keep 92FS or get P99?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
January 21, 2005, 12:00 PM
Go back to the range and shoot both side by side. If the 92 is too big for you, then you have your answer.

My personal preference would be for the 92. I hate the trigger on P99's. But my opinion on it does not matter. Stick with the one that you shoot best.

January 21, 2005, 12:30 PM
How much of a trade are you getting on your 92? You sunk a good bit of cash into it new. Usually, dealers have to beat you down on trade-in and with a name brand gun like Beretta, you'd likely get half of your original investment (if the dealer's a really good fella, you might recover 3/5ths of your investment). I don't begrudge them this since you're going in with your eyes open. You simply can count on getting the original price back out. Even lightly used guns are still used and generally won't sell for anywhere near the new price. If the gun's really pristine, you might be able to sell it for $100 less than new and that's assuming you paid a decent "street" price. I paid $575 for my stainless Beretta a three years back and I know from recent gunshows and visits to Beretta stocking dealers the street price may have gone up about $10. Retail is still some ridiculous, outlandish figure.

Does your dealer do consignments? He would act as a broker for your gun and maybe get 10% of the final sale price. You get the rest. It might be worth trying for a couple of weeks.

I, personally, wouldn't do it. B/c I know that I'd probably end up buying another one somewhere down the line and it would cost me even more than the first.

January 21, 2005, 12:51 PM
Southpaw is right, you're gonna wind up taking a bath if you trade in that Beretta, especially since you paid full-bore MSRP for it.

I say, keep the Beretta and put the Walther on lay-away if you really want it - about $100 down to hold it, with 60-90 days to pay off the balance, ought to be a snap. Work a little overtime if you can, brown-bag your lunches for a month, and there you go.

Better that than take a loss on a gun that you probably still like - trust me on this, I've let too many good guns go that I now regret selling...

Rebel Gunman HK
January 21, 2005, 12:56 PM
I agree with Kor completely. The 92 is too good a gun to get rid of.

January 21, 2005, 12:58 PM
Both great guns. You'll just have to find a way to own both.

January 21, 2005, 01:47 PM
Voice of Experience here guys.

Sold my Inox 92FS to get money to buy my CZ 75B. Figured I didn't need two 9mm's and I have my Inox 96 Brigadier to get my Beretta fix. Sound thinking I thought.


I like the CZ alot and do not regret getting it. I found out that I loved the 92. That thing shot so smoothly and accurately it was almost eerie. I'm going to have to get one back to the family sometime soon.

SB1, DON'T DO IT. You'll kick yourself for it later, believe me. Save up or go lay-away for the P99.

Just my two cents (and a bucket of tears to boot).

January 21, 2005, 03:10 PM
I am one of those guys that buys, sells and trades lots of guns to get what I want. My Beretta 92fs is one of the few guns that I have never considered selling or trading. I know it would be a mistake for me to get rid of it because it is so smooth and reliable.

Big Mike
January 21, 2005, 07:33 PM
Well neither would be a bad handgun to own. If it were me, I'd keep the Beretta and look for ways to improve your reach. Beretta used to offer a shorter trigger that can be installed in the 92. Wear the factory grips and I would add skate board tape on the front part of the grip to assist in my grip. Good luck, Mike

Alan Fud
January 21, 2005, 10:17 PM
Keep the Beretta.

January 21, 2005, 10:27 PM
You have to make the decision for yourself, but my 2 cents would be to keep your Beretta ;)

January 22, 2005, 08:52 AM
I cleaned up the 92 for the heckof it last night and I am going to keep her. The dealer was going to give me $400 towads the P99. I figure I will just start saving some coin and buy the P99 later. Reading your posts this morning sounds like that it the right decision.

Living in NY there is a premium attached to gun prices here. I see people here on the forum quoting prices and then I check them at the local store and there is a big discprepancy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions keep 92FS or get P99?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!