What kind of sights do you use(IDPA, or IPSC)

PDA

sturmruger
January 21, 2005, 04:40 PM
I am having my new production gun worked on right now. The tough part is I can't decide what kind of sights to use. I am looking at the XS Sights, and an assortment of the fiber optic tru glo types. What kind of sights are you using??

I am going to be using a XD9 tactical.

If you enjoyed reading about "What kind of sights do you use(IDPA, or IPSC)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
January 21, 2005, 05:29 PM
I like a fibre optic front and a regular square notch rear. I have a couple of rear sights with white dots that may be helping.

I think the XS sights are great for a close range defense gun to be shot with street glasses or no glasses at all but I cannot get the precision I want for targets.

jdkelly
January 21, 2005, 06:30 PM
Ahhhhh sights, you mean those little gun stand thingies on the top of that slider thing? I thought that's want you stood the gun on when you poured the bullets in the handle. To look through those you'd have to turn the gun over and the bullets would fall out!:)

Respectfully,

jdkelly

jdkelly
January 21, 2005, 06:34 PM
Most of my hand guns have adj. rear and iron front, some have fibre optic fronts.

Respectfully,

jdkelly

Navy joe
January 21, 2005, 06:35 PM
Ashley big dots will probably get you through 85% of IDPA. First time you try hitting a mini-popper at 40 yards in USPSA you will probably rip them off. I like tritium/fiber combo fronts with a stock rear blackened on my Glocks. My next game gun improvement will feature a narrower front sight.

My next IDPA sights will be none, as I figure the next rulebook will outlaw them as you don't look at them in a gunfight, I just want to be ahead of the curve. ;)

Chris Rhines
January 21, 2005, 06:57 PM
I really like the Dawson fiber-optic front/adjustable plain rear on my Glock.

- Chris

lycanthrope
January 21, 2005, 08:05 PM
I use the .090 Dawson fiber optic front and adjustable BoMars on the rear.

sturmruger
January 21, 2005, 11:28 PM
When I asked this over on XDtalk.com most of the guys agreed that Dawsons would be my best bet. I think that is what I am going to use. Joe that was kind of my concern with the XS sights was some of the long shooting we do in IPSC. Pepper poppers at 40 yards are hard to hit my stock sights! :banghead:

lycanthrope
January 22, 2005, 12:40 AM
Well, I've used a bunch of fiber optic front sights and can say that the Dawson is the most durable for me. I think many would last forever when glued in, but I change my fiber to suit the light and the match. I found red works best for hosing and green for controlled shots. Red is so bright for me that I lose the rear notch and only see the front sight. The thinnner .090 sight also makes poppers at 50 yards pretty easy, but some people can align a .100 or .120 faster....it's up to you. Regardless, DO NOT pay $10 a foot for fiber from some gunsmith or shooting supply. Just go here:

GOOD cheap fiber (http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Flourescent.htm)

sturmruger
January 22, 2005, 01:02 AM
Hey those are some amazing prices!! Thanks for the links.

lycanthrope
January 22, 2005, 01:19 AM
Yeah, and they have good stuff. I bought 18 FEET of fiber for what I'd been paying to supply a whole season.

I knew that I was being gouged by the shooting industry. Keep it tight.

MoNsTeR
January 22, 2005, 01:18 PM
Wilson .125"x.09" adjustable rear, Brazos Microdot front (.09" wide, .04" dot).
Thinking of changing it... but I should probably practice instead :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "What kind of sights do you use(IDPA, or IPSC)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!