El Tejon meets technology--hilarity ensues

PDA

El Tejon
March 5, 2003, 09:53 PM
Greetings to all in THR Land. I am attempting to learn the way of digicamera-fu. I am horrible.

My Minolta DiMage 4 megapixel thingy has been sitting on my office floor as I attempted to contact Dan Flory to help me. I am beyond help.

For my entry into the 21st century please find the attached photo/image/whatever of the weapons I keep ready or carry about me (I don't carry the shotgun from the parking garage to the office:D) and, of course, the Atticus board.

DISCLAIMER: I am really bad at this. Please limit barbs to 2 or 3 per post.

If you enjoyed reading about "El Tejon meets technology--hilarity ensues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DeltaElite
March 5, 2003, 09:54 PM
I think ya did good. You should see what my digital camera does. :(

Art Eatman
March 5, 2003, 09:58 PM
Hey, that ain't bad!

Just keep re-reading the directions. It'll all work out.

I bought a Sony, and I've marked the appropriate pages in the How-to book--which is always with me when I take pictures. :)

Art

El Tejon
March 5, 2003, 10:10 PM
The carry rig which I receive e-mails about.

I know, I know they are bad, I will get better.

another48hrs
March 5, 2003, 10:13 PM
That's a good picture El Tejon. :)

bedlamite
March 5, 2003, 10:28 PM
The yellow tint is from the incandescent lighting. There are a couple ways to fix it; use a Flash or halogen lighting, use a filter, or spend some quality time with Photoshop.

Keep it up, You'll be a pro in no time, or at the very least, you'll have a cluttered hard drive :D

Tamara
March 5, 2003, 10:28 PM
We need to see a pic of you in a flowered shirt... ;)

What Tamara Toted Today:

Schuey2002
March 5, 2003, 10:30 PM
Not bad, El Tejon..

But, it would be alot more 'Tactical' without the car keys.;)

El Tejon
March 5, 2003, 10:39 PM
bed, thanks, I thought the yellow was from the maple in my breakfast nook table??? Mrs. Flory is the expert. She'll be over before I mosey on down to Tejas (I hope, I really need help).

Tam, oh, come on. I put the knife in there so I would not commit a fox paw! Just a little credit, geez.

Schuey, without the car keys, what would the kubotan attach to? Think of them as a tactical suburban flail!!!:D

Schuey2002
March 5, 2003, 10:55 PM
That's OK, El Tejon, look closely at Tamara's pic and you can clearly see an UN-tactical bright orange extension cord.;)

Tamara
March 5, 2003, 10:56 PM
Well, I was going to blow it up and adjust the color for you, but that extra ".ksf." tag is really screwing with Paintshop Pro...

Soap
March 5, 2003, 10:59 PM
Tam-

4 guns and 3 knives....

Amateur ;)

Tamara
March 5, 2003, 11:00 PM
...you can clearly see an UN-tactical bright orange extension cord. ;)

...and Mac fans can read the "Color Classic" label on the computer on the right. (Serious hardcore Mac geeks can identify the keyboard on the left.)

Just noticed both of these details when I went back to look and see: "Orange extension cord? What extension cord? Ohhhh..." ;)

El Tejon
March 5, 2003, 11:01 PM
What's "Paintshop Pro"? Some photo adjuster thingy? Dan?

Tamara
March 5, 2003, 11:02 PM
Can't help it, my jacket pockets just sorta fill up over the course of the winter; now that spring is here, I'll be down to a more normal 2 guns/2 knives/1 multitool... :o

Oh, and the kubotan on the keychain... and the mini-multitool... and...

Coronach
March 5, 2003, 11:05 PM
I have an example of you doing 'Low-tech" laying around here somewhere. You are better at high-tech. ;)

For those not in the loop, ET sent me a picture of a gun once. At least I THINK it was a picture of a gun. It was a polaroid, blurry, with a dark splotch in the center that was vaguely gun-shaped.

Mike :D

El Tejon
March 5, 2003, 11:12 PM
Mike, can I help it if the boss of the shoppe where I work is such a tight wad. He writes all those checks to U.S. Treasury, Indiana Department of Revenue, Workforce Development, insurance, the landlord, to employees who for some reason anticipate a paycheck EVERY payday (geez), to the cute chicks at the office supply store, etc., et al, that I thought he would never get around to rationalizing (er, explaining to the accountant) a digital camera. He's not very bright either.

Soap
March 5, 2003, 11:13 PM
Tam,

Call me Dan for goodness' sake! You make me feel inadequate with my 1 gun (BUG is on the way this summer), 1 knife, and 1 flashlight :o

Coronach
March 6, 2003, 12:30 AM
*peers at El Tejon*

Aren't you self employed? :D

Mike

Lord Grey Boots
March 6, 2003, 01:53 AM
Tamara dear, please stay away from small boats, docks, pools, or large puddles.

If you fall in, you'll go straight to the bottom....

BerettaNut92
March 6, 2003, 01:59 AM
El Tejon,

Check to see if your camera has a 'white balance adjustment' setting. Most newer cameras do.

Change it to 'tungsten' or something like that, my icon is a little bulb. That will try to compensate for the yellowness.

BerettaNut92
March 6, 2003, 02:02 AM
I white balanced it in Adobe Photoshop 5.0 LE (law enforcement) for ya. Took a good splitsecond. See if you can get Photoshop or at least Photoshop Elements, it will be your digital darkroom, as your camera will not always produce what your eyes want.

Justin
March 6, 2003, 02:04 AM
lol!

El T- Not too bad, at the very least I think we've all seen worse. ;)
For tips on taking gun pics, head over to the SWAT Magazine website. Oleg's primer for taking gun photos (http://www.swatmagazine.com/primer.htm) Written by the masta himself.

Paint Shop Pro is a fairly low-priced photo manipulation program that you can probably find for sale at Best Buy. It does a lot of the same stuff that PhotoShop does with generally good results. So you can do stuff like image manipulation, color correction, removing redeye, etc. Plus it'll allow you to optimize the picture depending on how you're going to display it, low res for web/video, hi res for print.:)

Kahr carrier
March 6, 2003, 05:58 AM
Hey El Tejon looks like you got the Digital camera down. Tamara you roll pretty heavy hate to be the dummy that messes with you.:) P.S-Nice Bodyguard.

Jim March
March 6, 2003, 06:38 AM
How bout a catscan?

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/catscan.jpg

(Not my work: this really good example of the "breed" was taken by the late great James Mattis...)

CatsDieNow
March 6, 2003, 07:47 AM
Jim March: I always enjoy your cat pics. :D

El Tejon: Your photos are better than my father's attempts. Cheapskate that he is, he purchased a digital camera with a resolution of 320X240 and a fixed focal length for $10. (Which means he has to be exactly six feet away from the object, no more, no less).

PAshooter
March 6, 2003, 08:41 AM
The yellow tint is from the incandescent lighting.

Certainly can fix with Photoshop (a la Skunk's tweak) but most cameras will allow you to adjust the "white balance" before you take the shot. Check your manual. My Canon has settings for sunlight, overcast, tungsten, flourescent, and automatic (AWB). Sometimes the symbology is perverse, but once you break the code the results are quite clear.

BTW - nice pix El - no apologies necessary.

I use a neat little (either freeware or shareware - can't remember at the moment) program called irfanview to manipulate my images in the computer. Has lots of power for the price ($0) and lets you crop, edit, play with image settings, convert from one format to another, etc. etc. Do a web search on the name and you're bound to find it. Highly recommended.

braindead0
March 6, 2003, 08:47 AM
You might also want to play with manual exposure (if you can). When shooting dark things on light backgrounds, the automatic exposure can get a bit freaked out...

My camera (built into my digital camcorder) has a mode that shoots 3 shots in quick succession with 3 slightly different exposure settings (ala bracketing for you photo pros). It's very nice, you then just pick the one that's best.

Mauserlady
March 6, 2003, 09:32 AM
I use a neat little (either freeware or shareware - can't remember at the moment) program called irfanview to manipulate my images in the computer. Has lots of power for the price ($0) and lets you crop, edit, play with image settings, convert from one format to another, etc. etc. Do a web search on the name and you're bound to find it. Highly recommended.

Great little program, I use it all the time... For those interested here's the link.

http://www.irfanview.com/

2dogs
March 6, 2003, 09:32 AM
catscan

Catscan. Cat's Can. Took me a while but (recognizing the cat butt) I finally got it.:D :D :D :D

cordex
March 6, 2003, 09:55 AM
Catscan. Cat's Can. Took me a while but (recognizing the cat butt) I finally got it.
Silly me ... I just figured that somebody had thrown a cat on a scanner and turned it on. Hence "Cat Scan".

Purty decent photos, El Tejon. Even downsized 'em for internet use, eh?
(either that or when you got sold a "4 megapixel" camera, you seriously got ripped off ... heh)

El Tejon
March 6, 2003, 10:25 AM
cordex, yes, Dan showed me how to shrink them. Why the limitation on quality? Something to do with "bandwidth", whatever that is?

PAshooter
March 6, 2003, 10:32 AM
Mauserlady - thanks for posting the irfanview link (actually was pretty obvious, wasn't it?). Good stuff - best $0 I ever spent :D

Leatherneck
March 6, 2003, 11:48 AM
CatsDieNowJim March: I always enjoy your cat pics. Uh, Oh.:uhoh:

TC
TFL Survivor

gburner
March 6, 2003, 12:21 PM
Tejon...nice pics and better than some first efforts I've seen. I keep trying to send polaroids over e-mail thru the floppy disk port. Can't understand why it won't work.

Tam...Haven't you figured out how to conceal/carry that Martini yet? You never can carry too much gun!

Jim...nice catscan, a little fuzzy though. I hear my dog barking so that must be the lab report. :D

Soap
March 6, 2003, 01:07 PM
Give El T a break guys! Jeez I'm a businessman not a cameraperson. Just because I live with a photographer that doesn't mean I know anything more than how to operate a camera. El Tejon didn't ask me how to take good pictures, just how to take pictures :p

coonan357
March 6, 2003, 01:19 PM
Hey El Tej, feel lucky you can afford one of those new fangle do thingys , I had to borrow one from one of my Ex-Girlfriends to take all the pics of my Kids , All I have in my photography equip is a pentex K you know the one that takes that celluloid filmy stuff . and I don't have a scanner , sometimes it would help to have a darker background like a towel to help asorb the extra light and makes the Toys stand out . and for the tax deduction it is a device used to collect evidence hence tax deductible . and have you found me a job down there yet???

El Tejon
March 6, 2003, 02:49 PM
Dan, you live with a photographer? Does your wife know?

Coonan, yeah, I never understood the towel thing, until now.

Soap
March 6, 2003, 03:08 PM
El Tejon- Har. Har. ;)

blades67
March 6, 2003, 03:26 PM
Schuey, without the car keys, what would the kubotan attach to?

I'd attach it to a lanyard ring on the gun.:D

grampster
March 6, 2003, 03:29 PM
What is a digital camera?:D

gun-fucious
March 6, 2003, 04:09 PM
most digi cams can never have enough light on the subject

garrettwc
March 6, 2003, 06:20 PM
...and Mac fans can read the "Color Classic" label on the computer on the right. (Serious hardcore Mac geeks can identify the keyboard on the left.)

10th Anniversary Edition or something like that. I know it's a special edition. The local mom and pop Mac shop uses theirs to generate invoices and ring up sales.

Frohickey
March 6, 2003, 08:12 PM

Thats got to be a T.A.M. keyboard.

Twentieth Aniversary Macintosh.

Cool... haven't seen those in a while. :D (One of the boneheaded ideas that Gil Amelio had which sucked up precious development resources.) You still have that concierge service?

Average Guy
March 6, 2003, 09:14 PM
Jeeeez! What kind of Third World hellholes do you guys work in, anyway? Lemme guess: a US Post Office or a stock brokerage.

Due to current geographical restrictions, if there's an incident in my workplace, the rest of them better hope I can get out to my car and back with "Black Beauty" before the bad guy can reload. (As for me, I have the Gift of Stealth.) :D

On second thought, if can make it to my car... :evil:

MPFreeman
March 6, 2003, 09:27 PM
:cool:

Standing Wolf
March 6, 2003, 09:32 PM
Digital cameras are to cameras as computers are to typewriters: somewhat more complex.

Atticus
March 6, 2003, 11:14 PM
Hey ET: That board is not properly labeled. Not a bad pic though.:D I had hoped the poster might have a four fingered hand (including thumb of course) with a rule printed on each finger.

El Tejon
March 7, 2003, 07:33 AM
Sorry, Atticus, had the board before your reported incident. I renamed in your honor.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "El Tejon meets technology--hilarity ensues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!