Paper for my Criminal Justice class...

PDA

LiquidTension
March 6, 2003, 01:10 AM
Hey guys. I'm doing an assignment for my criminal justice class. I have to find articles that deal with issues in the CRJ system and write an assessment and opinion of them. I was just working on this one and thought you guys might enjoy it. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.gothamgazette.com/article/crime/20030102/4/36

Here's a portion of my response:

I believe the Handschu Agreement is completely necessary. If anything it should be strengthened to place more restrictions on police. It seems to me that the panel is nothing more than a way to get permission to do something wrong, therefore not making it wrong anymore. In the article, David Cohen states that terrorists, “may own homes, live in communities with families, belong to religious or social organizations and attend educational institutions." Wait a minute. I live in a community with families, belong to social organizations, and attend educational institutions. The police just want permission to spy on everyone the think could be a terrorist or criminal. How long before the excuse “I thought he might be a terrorist” becomes enough reason to set up phone taps and video surveillance? Not long, I think. New York is trying to monopolize on the completely misguided feeling among some Americans today that it is ok to sacrifice personal freedom for safety. I agree with Ben Franklin on this matter: Those who would sacrifice personal freedom for temporary safety deserve neither freedom nor safety.

Now I'm trying to find a suitable article about violence involving guns (notice I did not say gun violence). The articles have to be from a certain time frame...let the search begin! My teacher is pretty liberal even though she tries not to let it show. Every time the 2nd Amendment comes up in class, she moves on quickly without letting me ream her a new one in front of everybody. I do wear my molon labe hat in there, but she has no idea what it means.

Anyway, thought you guys might like that article.

- LT

[edited after I added some more stuff to the paper]

If you enjoyed reading about "Paper for my Criminal Justice class..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
March 6, 2003, 08:30 PM
Give her hell.:D Good luck with the course.

synoptic
March 7, 2003, 01:07 AM
Which CJ class are you taking? (I am assuming your school offers more than 1)

labgrade
March 7, 2003, 01:33 AM
"How long before the excuse “I thought he might be a terrorist” becomes enough reason to set up phone taps and video surveillance? Not long, I think."

You'd be spot on. I've a Denver PD "spy-file" for peacefully assembling & merely protesting our measly weasle CO Guv - & this from 3 years or so back. Patriot Act (hacks up hair ball) merely reenforces this mentality.

"New York is trying to monopolize on the completely misguided feeling among some Americans today that it is ok to sacrifice personal freedom for safety."

On this I would disagree. The theme is pervasive enough across this fine land - not all surely, but enough to be very disturbing.

Far as your 'violence with guns thread during a specific timeframe" - might be handy to know that timeframe, no? What in specific?

& not using "gun violence" was well-noted. Kudos.

If you enjoyed reading about "Paper for my Criminal Justice class..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!