Shoots WAY High

PDA

PowderBurn
January 26, 2005, 12:32 AM
My newest percussion revolver is an 1862 Pocket (5-shot .36 cal). I expected it to shoot high, but this is REALLY high – say 8-10” at 25 feet. I thought about filing the hammer notch rear sight, but was worried I’d have to remove too much metal to move POI as much as I need to. The front sight is not much more than a nub, but I don't know how I'd build it up.

What do y’all think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shoots WAY High" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gatofeo
January 29, 2005, 02:56 AM
A few years ago I picked up a copy of the 1862 Colt, made by Armi San Marcos. Price was too good to resist, though it obviously was not high quality.
It shoots rather well, but as you said, higher than a kite. Mine shoots about 10 inches high at 25 yards, like yours. I filed the rear sight down a bit and got it down to about 8 inches high but I've reached the limit on deepening the notch. Any more and the plane of the barrel will be in view.
I just have to take Kentucky Elevation with it.
Yeah, that front sight on the 1862 Colt is a smidgen, isn't it? More like a pin head than the bead on the Navy or the robust sight on the 1860 Army.
I keep thinking I'll find a piece of scrap brass sheet metal and make a higher sight for it. Never seem to get to it.
But loaded properly it's a good shooter. Six balls into 3 inches at 25 yards, from the benchrest. This may not sound like much, but from such a small, short-barreled revolver it's rather good. Few snubnose .38s will do that much and the 1862 Colt was the .38 snub of its day.
I'd suggest clipping off the edge of a penny and using that for a sight. Then filing the rear sight notch a little wider, if necessary. Or you could use an old silver dime for a narrower sight.

PowderBurn
January 29, 2005, 03:27 PM
Gatofeo,

Thanks for the response. I thought I read on another post somewhere that you had a similar revolver and was hoping you'd chime in.

I've really enjoyed reading your helpful advice regarding blackpowder shooting here and elsewhere. If it hadn't been for regular posterfolks like you, "mec", and a few others, I probably wouldn't have had the courage to begin exploring the world of percussion firearms.

Thanks a bunch.

Phil

mainmech48
January 31, 2005, 04:08 PM
Two basic fixes: Taller front sight or lower rear. Can be combined to a certain extent, but a taller front is simplest, IMO.

Can be DIY with some thought and ingenuity. Usually requires a good deal of shooting with your chosen load and careful filing to find the correct height. Stick to that load, and you only have to do it once.

FWIW, it might be worth your while to have a 'smith fit a dovetailed blade replacement for the barleycorn on your Colt replica. It's not 'authentic', but it's a whole helluva lot easier to zero, and to use.

YMMV, but I'll take better function over pure form every time.

PowderBurn
February 1, 2005, 11:40 PM
mainmech - I agree with your philosopy. Form is important with replicas, but I'll sacrifice a little of that to increase the enjoyment. Thanks for your input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shoots WAY High" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!