Remingtom 1858 clone question

PDA

Hawkmoon
January 26, 2005, 01:06 PM
Marketed by Cabelas, I think the manufacturer was Pietta Arms. Trigger pull is simply beastly -- I have a spring scale and the trigger pull is off the scale.

Does it need to be this heavy? Is this because the main spring must be heavier in a cap & ball revolver than in a cartridge revolver? I thought I would enjoy this toy, but I really hate it. Tried to sell it, and can't get back what I paid for it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remingtom 1858 clone question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneshooter
January 26, 2005, 01:45 PM
Don't sell. smith. These are a pretty simple action, start with thesmall screw on the front of the grip. Tighten this in and the spring is stronger,the opposite is true. A gunsmith can rework the trigger. The reasons for the heavy trigger are varied and range from liability concerns to lousy workmanship.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

PowderBurn
January 26, 2005, 01:50 PM
I bought a Pietta-made 1858 from Cabela's last summer, and the trigger pull is quite good. I'll bet it's something you can fix/have fixed.

mec
January 26, 2005, 06:06 PM
you might try cocking the gun and slowly pulling the trigger until the hammer releases. If the hammer moves back a little before release, you can be pretty sure you have an agressive full cock engagement and that's the source of the heavy pull. Changing the load is a bit dicey because some hammers and triggers are case hardened to prevent premature wear. Probably should be left to a gunsmith who understands the hardening process.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remingtom 1858 clone question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!