G17 Question

PDA

Parallax
January 26, 2005, 05:25 PM
I bought a slightly used G17 today and put 100 rds through it. Everything worked fine. This is my first handgun though, is there anything special I should know about it?

If you enjoyed reading about "G17 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Snowman
January 26, 2005, 05:43 PM
Congradulations on the purchase. I'll direct you to this website (http://www.glocktalk.com/) for starters. :) You've read the owners manual, right? If there is anything you don't understand, ask.

It's a very straight forward tool. Be safe. Take care of it. That's about all you should need. If you want to know more, start with figuring out what questions to ask or just start browsing the forums here and on Glock Talk. (http://www.glocktalk.com/) The Search feature is your friend.

Welcome to the world of "Combat Tupperware" :)

C. H. Luke
January 26, 2005, 05:44 PM
Sure, Glocks need to be lubed quite sparingly. The most important trouble spot is the connector/trigger bar interface.
Keep it lubed, just a drop will do.

Have seen a number of Glocks with very bad/gritty trigger pulls due to metal to metal scoring to the point the parts were beyond any cleaning up. Had to r/r the parts and start from scratch.
Not expensive but owner's just thought they got lemon's or didn't know enough to care.

The G17 is a very fun pistol to shoot once used to the goofy trigger pull they have.

Good Shooting and Enjoy!

orangeninja
January 26, 2005, 05:46 PM
Excellent gun... just be sure and avoid accidental discharges, which is common with Glocks and new owners combined....mostly ala' police rookies. :)

Ala Dan
January 26, 2005, 06:13 PM
I offer my congrat's as well, cuz the G-17 is one darn good firearm. :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

happy old sailor
January 27, 2005, 11:14 AM
been shooting my G17 for years with now unknown round count. a little cleaning and a Little lube and she keeps on ticking. from day one, never a failure of any kind. tried all dif kinds of ammo in it. it takes no notice. my fav carry in cooler weather. my opinion: you made a good choice. now all you need is tritium sights and three 17 round mags. as you are firing a few hundred rounds to break it in or get used to it, swap out the mags to check them for reliability three seventeen rounders and one in the chamber is 52 rounds. that should be enough to do some "spraying" while you are making for cover. my intent, YMMV

Parallax
January 27, 2005, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the advice :D

orangeninja
January 27, 2005, 02:40 PM
" that should be enough to do some "spraying" while you are making for cover. my intent, YMMV"

I always advise new shooters to spray bullets. Especially in defensive situations. Shot placement is WAY overated. :rolleyes:

Island Beretta
January 27, 2005, 03:01 PM
Special things to know:

1. Very reliable.
2. Keep finger off trigger until on desired target.
3. Keep it clean- although it is not a fussy weapon.
4. Use lubrication sparingly.
5. Be careful about firing lead bullets in it due to the barrel design.
6. If you would like to personalise this weapon, the options are almost unlimited.
7. Very sensitive to finger position on the trigger in terms of accuracy
8. It likes a good firm grip- a poor grip causes stovepipes- this is the # 1 cause of jams in Glocks.
9. LIKES TO BE FIRED!!

Parallax
January 27, 2005, 07:49 PM
What is a stovepipe?

C. H. Luke
January 28, 2005, 09:32 AM
"What is a stovepipe?"

It is the standard "Type II" malfunction.

Fired case caught between the breech-face and barrel hood, vertically, case mouth pointing straight up.

If you enjoyed reading about "G17 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!