Drilling Holes...

PDA

XD40EZO
January 27, 2005, 02:40 PM
Can I drill holes on my P12-45 Trigger? Please see picture. I incorporated holes via photoshop. The trigger is plastic. Is it safe to do this?

Let me know what y'all think.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/861241/p1245trig.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Drilling Holes..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shoobe01
January 27, 2005, 02:45 PM
Why?

XD40EZO
January 27, 2005, 03:31 PM
dunno... just curious... trying some cheap cosmetic changes...

dfariswheel
January 27, 2005, 07:48 PM
Here's the "watch-outs".

First, some trigger bows that have cast-on plastic finger pieces intrude far enough into the finger piece that the center hole might encounter the steel bow.

Second, when drilling, be very careful not to put so much pressure on the drill that you either crack the plastic, or cause the hole to partially melt from drill heat.
Some of these plastics don't drill very well and melt, or worse, crack.

Other than that, have at it.

Bobarino
January 27, 2005, 07:52 PM
i haven't checked for availability for Para's but i know there are a gazillion aftermarket triggers for 1911's that look just like that. you could just shop around and probably find one for $30 or less. however, i do understand that its fun to tinker sometimes so if its that, i say go for it.

Bobby

MaterDei
January 27, 2005, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't do it on my carry gun. Otherwise, why not? It's your gun. Worse case you will have a broken cheap to replace trigger.

Go for it!

1911Tuner
January 27, 2005, 08:12 PM
To drill soft materials, there are two things ya gotta do.

1...Dub the drill bit.

2...Know HOW to dub the drill bit

You can buy holey aluminum triggers pretty cheap through Brownells that are oversized on the shoe and can be filed and sanded to a wobble-free fit
without havin' to dub a drill bit and maybe kill the trigger when it hits steel like dfariswheel said.

Check Brownells' website for triggers. King's makes a nice one that comes in different colors. Note that if you go with King's...the blue trigger ain't what you think it is. The color is close to "Petty Blue."

XD40EZO
January 28, 2005, 10:16 AM
hey guys...guess what??? I DID IT!!! and it looks awesome... thanks for the encouragments and advises...

...i used a multi purpose drill bit (metal/wood/plastic)... dunked the bit in gun oil and drilled. ... it looks professionally done... looks exactly like my mock picture i posted above...

...but to be safe, i went ahead and ordered me an STI aluminum, adjustable trigger from Brownell's... :-)

peace,

If you enjoyed reading about "Drilling Holes..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!