Goin to the gun show tomorrow, which small/compact guns should I look at for a CCW?

PDA

joey93turbo
January 27, 2005, 09:22 PM
I think I need a buddy for my soon to be purchased M4A3 :D

I have a Sig P226R and while it may be fine for carry during the winter, I'm anticipating size problems this summer. I need a small/compact gun to carry and I'm not quite sure what I'd like. I'm going to check out the P239 but I wanna handle some others as well to make sure I'm not passing up something that fits me better. I don't have the time to go shoot each gun at the range, so I'm going to go by what you guys tell me and what fits my hand best.

I've heard lots of good and lots of bad about Kahrs, unfortunately I've never had the chance to shoot one. They do interest me though because I believe they're quite a bit smaller and lighter than the P239.

If you enjoyed reading about "Goin to the gun show tomorrow, which small/compact guns should I look at for a CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lennyjoe
January 27, 2005, 10:09 PM
All depends on what you want to spend and in which caliber.

Below $300, Firestorm in 9MM or .45 or a revolver in .357 such as a Taurus 605.

If you want to break the $400 barrier then Glock, Kahr or Sig comes to mind.

Now, if you really want a pocket rocket then look at the Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 for deep concealment. :D

Shopping for the one that fits the best one for you is the funnest part. :)

Quintin Likely
January 27, 2005, 10:24 PM
I really liked my P239. If it was in 9mm instead of .40, I'd probably still have it. Boringly reliable, laser beam accurate. But you're gonna be the one toting it around, so YMMV of course. :)

psyopspec
January 27, 2005, 10:39 PM
Another Kahr recommendation. As far as hand fit goes, my pinky rests below the flush mag, but it's a decent trade-off for a pistol that's oh-so-concealeable. With the extended mags it's a comfy fit. Shop around, and without difficulty you might be able to find a PM-9 for less than $500. Check between the beef jerky and the romance novels.

GigaBuist
January 28, 2005, 12:08 AM
If you buy a KelTec buy it sooner than you really want to carry it. It MAY have issues. Mine did it seems, but a little fluffing and buffing and it seems to be okay but I haven't taken it out in a while.

You're thinking Sig so I may be out of whack suggesting a C&L pistol but the CZ RAMI is nothing to sneeze at, IMHO. Beefy enough to fill my hand comfortably, but small enough to hide easily. I think you'd be hard pressed to find somebody here who said CZs were crap. They're not perfect, but they're pretty good and fairly low cost. The RAMI is a bit "thick" I suppose, about as wide as my Glock 23, both are .40 S&W.

Don't forget the Bersa Thunder. I've got a buddy who has one in .380 and he's quite happy with it. He's a MUCH more picky person when it comes to firearms than I am

As has already been stated, don't forget about the small framed revolvers in .38+P or .357 mag.

joey93turbo
January 28, 2005, 12:16 AM
I am willing to spend $400-$500 and I'd like an auto for capacity.

What are peoples main gripes with Kahr's? I hear alot of people that love em, but alot that don't. Seems like damn near everyone loves Sigs, including me (P226R).

bnolsen
January 28, 2005, 12:36 AM
Looks like you should consider one of the compact glocks, models 26-31

Small double stack mags. Yes they're thick but the handle doesn't stick way out.

I'm personally not a fan of the kahr's because they absolutely are too small for my hands, there's nothing to hold onto.

joey93turbo
January 28, 2005, 01:12 AM
Oh I forgot to mention, I don't like glocks ;)

bnolsen
January 28, 2005, 01:21 AM
Perhaps you won't like the steyr S9/S40 series either. Give those a look though.

Flashpoint
January 28, 2005, 01:33 AM
Look for Steyr S-something or CZ RAMI. You might even find a good deal on one of those 6906 or the like.

psyopspec
January 28, 2005, 01:33 AM
What are peoples main gripes with Kahr's?

The only problem I had with mine was the day I bought it, after the first trip to the range. For the life of me, I couldn't remove the slidestop pin to break the pistol down for cleaning. Then I read the instructions-hunkey doorey from there on out.

wardog
January 28, 2005, 02:36 AM
My Kahr PM9 had to go back to the factory, twice. Would not reliably go fully into battery. Works great now though, and size vs. power not much comes close. Especially for the money.

Lately for CCW I've been rotating between a SIG P245 (IWB) PM9 (pocket) or Kel Tec P3AT (pocket).

SAG0282
January 28, 2005, 04:10 AM
A Springfield XD sub-compact, a SIG P239, or a mini-Glock would be my recommendations.

MrTuffPaws
January 28, 2005, 04:35 AM
CZ-P01. CZ-Rami. Makarov. CZ-83.

u084708
January 28, 2005, 07:22 AM
I have a Kahr P9 Covert that I really like - accurate, light, just long enough barrel, and good capacity. :)

Shootcraps
January 28, 2005, 07:33 AM
Springfield Ultra Compact. That's what I carry.

Aahzz
January 28, 2005, 07:50 AM
I'll throw in my usual vote for a S&W 3913 :).

ulflyer
January 28, 2005, 08:19 AM
Taurus Mil-Pro in 9mm or 45mm. NICE!!

ArmsAkimber
January 28, 2005, 10:16 AM
The above advice about giving a Kel-Tec a good wringing-out before carrying is a spot-on, but don't let that deter you from choosing one. If a new P11 needs a trip to the factory, you'll get excellent customer service and quick turn around.

I carry a P11 in a pocket holster, and don't think I want for anything. (Well, prehaps some of the new factory 12-round magazines, now the the Klinton normal-capacity magazine ban is toast :D ) Twelve rounds of 9mm+P in a pocket is well-armed, I'd say.

Mr. Burns: Smithers, I have a rocket in my pocket.
Smithers: You don't have to tell me, sir.

armoredman
January 28, 2005, 11:10 AM
Good CCW pistols.

joey93turbo
January 28, 2005, 09:16 PM
I went ahead and handled a bunch of auto's today and I think I'm sold on the Kahr for ultra-concealed carry. I'm still not sure which model I want or which caliber, but I really couldn't find a better option. The RAMI and the P239 both feel real good but they're considerably larger and heavier than the Kahr.

PCRCCW
January 29, 2005, 12:01 PM
I dont see anything wrong with Kahrs....they are top of the line guns...in EVERY regard. Some dont like the triggers.....those who havent shot a Keltec at the same time anyway :D I love Kahrs, Keltecs, CZ's and so on.

The grip on the Kahr is stellar, small and fits" all hands. The triggers are nice and they are more accurate then they have a right to be.

The RAMI is another great choice.....The PCR/PO1 CZ's are small enough for me and have a better fullsize grip. Its the best of both worlds IMO......small enough to hide well and large enough to shoot the HELL out of.....

Shoot well.......

If you enjoyed reading about "Goin to the gun show tomorrow, which small/compact guns should I look at for a CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!