Woman's Outlook magazine? and Pregnant shooting?

PDA

JamisJockey
March 6, 2003, 01:10 PM
Anyone recieve this magazine? I am looking at renewing my NRA membership and might get the Woman's magazine for the wife.

Also, any thoughts/information/facts on shooting while pregnant?
:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Woman's Outlook magazine? and Pregnant shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scottgun
March 6, 2003, 01:23 PM
I'm not an expert, but I would think that shooting while in late stages of pregnacy would/could cause hearing damage to the little one.

Mastrogiacomo
March 6, 2003, 01:59 PM
Advice from a female -- don't do it. Children hear even at a point when you don't think they're a child yet. Exposing them to loud noises and the hameful air of indoor ranges and the cleaning solutions for guns, isn't recommended. Once you know you're pregnant -- stop going to the range and wait until after you've delievered. That's what I'd do to be safe and what I'd recommend...but then people know smoking is bad for children too -- they are around pregnant women, around children (whether in the room, outside or upstairs) preganat women have smoked....for me, if I were expecting I wouldn't be shooting until after the baby was born. Play Mozart, Jazz, read to the baby while she/he is still inside your wife. You'd be surprised by the benefits and the bonds that develop even at this stage.

:D

roscoe
March 6, 2003, 02:55 PM
I have heard that even a small amount of lead can be bad news for the fetus. Revolvers are especially known to kick a bit out. I say just wait until the after delivery.

blades67
March 6, 2003, 03:06 PM
Pregnant women should avoid the shooting range until after the baby is born. After that they should go at least once a week.:D

mtnbkr
March 6, 2003, 03:32 PM
at my wife's first OB visit, shooting guns was one of the many things on the list of "things not to do".

Chris

El Tejon
March 6, 2003, 04:32 PM
Maybe a good time to have her dry practice only? Then see much better she is with 9 months of dry practice!

Mastrogiacomo
March 6, 2003, 05:37 PM
Only once a week after the baby? I say, make up for lost time. Get out there at least twice -- three times if you stick the baby with your husband and spend a couple hours.:D Also a good way to let the husband know what's it's like to "not work.":p

pax
March 6, 2003, 05:59 PM
Like others have said, lead and loud noises are not good for the developing baby. Best to stay away from the range.

Meanwhile, lots of dry fire practice can help her keep some of her skills, and so can airsoft or pellet guns. Edit: not pellet guns; see Oleg's post.

You also should be absolutely scrupulous about washing the lead off your hands and face, and changing your clothes, before touching very young children after a trip to the range. Also a good idea to kick off the shoes you wore to the range before coming into the house, if you still have carpet-crawlers. Generally, the faster the child is growing, the more dangerous lead exposure can be; this translates to younger kids being more at risk in most cases and particularly so for kids under age 3.

pax

Remember as far as anyone knows, we're a nice normal family. -- Homer Simpson

Double Naught Spy
March 6, 2003, 06:55 PM
The only reason a pregnant woman should be shooting a gun is because her life is in danger. There are simply too many risks posed by shooting to the unborn to make practice seem like a good idea. The issues of hearing damage and lead are critical. Lead can severely damage the potential for the child to develop properly, especially in regard to its brain and ability to use it.

Also of note, the male counterpart needs to be very concerned about bringing lead residue into the home as well.

JamisJockey
March 6, 2003, 07:16 PM
Roger. I'll keep the above in mind. Many thanks,

priv8ter
March 6, 2003, 07:57 PM
My wife went shooting with me once when she was about 20 weeks pregnant...she wasn't shooting. It was okay when I was using a .22 but when I switched to the .40, she said she could feel the kid 'jumping' each time I pulled the trigger...so, we stopped after about 5 shots, and I brought her home...

My wife says she wouldn't go much past 20 weeks...

blades67
March 6, 2003, 08:01 PM
Happy to tell you what to do. I mean, happy to help!:neener:

Kobun
March 6, 2003, 08:59 PM
Shoot outside and get a supressor.
Just don't stop shooting! :D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=43854

Yohan
March 6, 2003, 11:27 PM
Well, if you could somehow figure out a way to provide ear and eye protection for the fetus inside, it'd be fine. I say goto the gun range anyway. Might as well toughen them up early.

D.W. Drang
March 7, 2003, 12:57 AM
Anyone recieve this magazine? I am looking at renewing my NRA membership and might get the Woman's magazine for the wife. LSW gets it. Pretty good, although maybe not quite as good as Women and Guns. :cool:

Coot
March 7, 2003, 07:41 AM
Perhaps you should introduce her to a high quality air rifle...

Oleg Volk
March 7, 2003, 10:17 AM
Pellet guns introduce quite a bit of lead into the air. BB guns probably don't.

aerod1
March 7, 2003, 11:55 AM
My daughter did not shoot while pregnant and I am glad because my GRANDson turned out PERFECT! He is now almost 3 months old. One of these days he will take a professionally taught gun safety course and then I can put a gun in his perfect little hands. He WILL be properly educated and supervised at all times.
Thank God for GRANDchildren!
Jim Hall

45R
March 7, 2003, 01:40 PM
I have heard that even a small amount of lead can be bad news for the fetus. Revolvers are especially known to kick a bit out. I say just wait until the after delivery.

The small amounts of lead that are absorbed by the mother make its way to the fetus via the blood supply. The lead can alter the childs CNS system...which can lead to birth defects or learning disabilities.

After delivery the mother can resume shooting if she is not breast feeding. Lead can also be carried in the lipid supplies of the mother which can also be transfered to the newborn.

I'd wait till after breastfeeding.

45R

pax
March 7, 2003, 03:24 PM
Pellet guns introduce quite a bit of lead into the air. BB guns probably don't.
*blink*

Learn something new every day.

Thanks, Oleg.

pax

Education is hanging around until you've caught on. -- Robert Frost

Mastrogiacomo
March 7, 2003, 06:09 PM
I'd be leary about having your wife around -- regardless of what you shoot. The child can hear even whatever the caliber even if he/she doesn't jump to the noise. It's very irresponsible for a pregnant woman to expose herself to an indoor or outdoor firing range. What until the baby is born and if she's breast feeding -- hold off for longer. Your child is worth that much, right?:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Woman's Outlook magazine? and Pregnant shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!