Suggest ammo for Walther p22

PDA

cidirkona
January 28, 2005, 02:27 PM
What type of ammunition would work best in the new Walther p22 that I'm picking up tomorrow?

...and please don't reply with "22lr" :neener:

Copper jacket? What weight?

Should there be a difference for the difference in barrel lenght? I'm not sure what the turn rate is either...

-Colin

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggest ammo for Walther p22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tbeb
January 28, 2005, 02:58 PM
I once tested different .22 long rifle ammo because I wanted to use what was most reliable in a small pocket pistol (I think it was a Wilkinson Sherry). My choice was Winchester Super-X high velocity 40 gr. round nose. I can't say if these are best for your gun--you'd have to try some.

PaulBk
January 28, 2005, 03:21 PM
Mine hates Yellow Jackets and loves CCI Stingers, Velocitors, and Mini-Mags. Some folks have good luck with bulk ammo, but Walther recommends hotter stuff for reliable slide function. YMMV.

Experiment and see what works for you.

-PB

762x51
January 28, 2005, 03:33 PM
Definitely Minimags. After breaking it in with a few boxes of those, it should shoot standard stuff fine.

Ktulu
January 28, 2005, 03:37 PM
Mine jams equally on everything. :rolleyes:

Rupestris
January 28, 2005, 03:48 PM
Just stay far away from the Winchester X-pert bulk stuff. I have yet to find a semi-auto that can digest it.

Old Fud
January 28, 2005, 03:52 PM
I've only shot PMC Zapper so far, but I've got a first-class "Fail to Anything!!" on my hands. Most common is fail-to-feed, like 2 or 3 of every mag. Fail to fire is common. Fail to even try to eject is a sometimes thing, happening about once per session, and stovepipes are common.

Zapper is 40 grain hardball bullet Hi Vel. Spec says Muzzle Velocity is 1255 fps.
I read the specs on Remington and Winchester and they read exactly the same --- don't vary by as much as 5 fps. Hmmmm.

Clean don't help. More lube does nothing.

I think "limp wrist" is a factor.
Bought the miserable thing for beginners and they have fits with it.
When I shoot it, occurrence drops way down.

I'll try other brands and a couple boxes of mag. (thanks for the suggestion).

Frustrated Fud

cidirkona
January 28, 2005, 05:27 PM
So the walmart bulk stuff is definately out then?

And I imagine everything subsonic won't do diddly for the slide?

Has anyone ever made a non-semi-automatic modification for a p22 so that the slide DOESN'T come back at all for use with their silencers? This would seem like a good idea due to the low punch of subsonics that would make most sense with a silenced p22... I won't even be able to try anything like that for "6 months to a year."

And while I'm at it -- why does Class III paperwork take so long?! :cuss: :banghead: :fire: :scrutiny: :mad:

-Colin

PaulBk
January 28, 2005, 05:43 PM
I can check when i get home tonight, but I believe the Walther owner's manual specifically recommends *not* using subsonic ammo.

P-22's tend to be very fussy about ammo. What works in one won't work in another. They also need to be kept very clean. The only times I have had FTF/FTE problems are when I am on the wrong side of 300 rounds since the last cleaning.

Check the rimfirecentral board for all of the hints, tips, and P22 discusion you can handle.

-PB

Puppy
January 28, 2005, 06:27 PM
My Walther P22 will feed & eject anything put into it.

I normally run Federal's 550 rd Value Pack (HV, 36gr, copperwashed, hollowpoints) through it however.

cidirkona
January 28, 2005, 06:36 PM
I may have to try the big, cheap box first, or see if my friends have any around.
\
Also, is it bad to dry fire these guys -- considering they are rimfire?

-Colin

WhoKnowsWho
January 28, 2005, 06:49 PM
Also, is it bad to dry fire these guys -- considering they are rimfire?

It's okay with the safety on safe, it locks the firing pin in place so it doesn't move at all to hit anything it shouldn't.

I've had good luck with PMC Zappers, and of course, CCI Minimags and Stingers. Don't try hollow points or non-plated, those haven't worked too well.

And also, I put like 6 #47 O-Rings on the trigger, following instructions from www.rimfirecentral.com and the trigger actually feels a lot nicer!

JeepDriver
January 28, 2005, 06:57 PM
CCI Mini Mags run the best in mine. The Velocitors work equally as well, they just cost a little more

Black Majik
January 28, 2005, 07:47 PM
IME CCI Minimags are the most reliable in the 22LR's I've shot.

George Frye
January 28, 2005, 09:29 PM
My Walther P22 handles the cheep Winchester Xpert just fine and i have ran a lot of it through the gun. At $7.96 cents for 500 rounds you can afford to shoot a lot. Its best to try all brands and see what is best for your gun, each one seems to be a little different.

Cav Soldier............................ALLONS

XLMiguel
January 28, 2005, 10:21 PM
Mine lieks the 'hot' stuff - PMC Zapper, minimags, stingers, velocitors, Win SuperX. It's got about 1K rounds thru now, so I will try some less 'energetic stuff and see how it goes-

minnesota oldie
January 28, 2005, 11:50 PM
Mine works well with CCI standard velocity.

GTKrockeTT
February 4, 2005, 03:10 PM
mine likes CCI stingers/mini-mags, and any other .22lr with a higher velocity. otherwise, there's just not enough "juice" to cycle the action.

cidirkona
February 4, 2005, 04:39 PM
Well, I just took it out last weekend, and man, this thing RULES! I really want to get one of those little scope mounts for it now! I bought a 500 round box of Winchester High Vel 40 grains and had only two problems (some released the slide slowly and another limp wristed it -- yes, limpwristed a 22).

I didn't think this little guy would be so dang accurate!

-Colin

jamz
February 4, 2005, 04:42 PM
cidirkona: Mine loves Remington blk pack of "golden bullets" in the 550 pack for about $11.00 - cheapest fun you can have, and cycles just fine.

If you want the scope mount thingie, I'll sell you mine for cheap- I don't like the way it makes the light little gun feel, and it makes it impossible to holster.

-James

cidirkona
February 4, 2005, 05:01 PM
Well, I don't holster mine anyways when I'm out-- it's never out of somebody's hand, someone always wants to shoot it!

PM sent!

-Colin

SLCDave
February 4, 2005, 05:36 PM
Remington SubSonics work fine in the one I've tried.

Doug Add
February 4, 2005, 05:41 PM
Sort of late to the party here as I see you have already run some Winchester through your P22. I started with CCI Mini-Mags for the initial break-in. Now it runs just fine on the bulk pack Remington Golden Bullets that jamz mentioned earlier.

cidirkona
February 4, 2005, 06:18 PM
Are the minimags much hotter or something?

-Colin

kart racer
February 5, 2005, 07:19 PM
cci stingers are the most fun to shoot,remington thunderbolts work great in mine for the cheap stuff.It will not work with federal lightin' or whatever they are.

jerryd
February 5, 2005, 07:53 PM
Mine loves CCI stingers any of the hotter loads, stay away from target loads or you will have a single shot pistol!

cidirkona
February 7, 2005, 05:42 PM
...Are p22 supposed to eject in a random direction?
-Colin

Doug Add
February 8, 2005, 09:05 AM
Mine sure does. It is one of the reasons I wear a hat at the range. I have experienced hot casings landing on my head. I sure don't want one falling down behind my shooting glasses!

cidirkona
February 8, 2005, 11:11 AM
I always get them down the front of my hoodie...

-Colin

NEtracker
February 11, 2005, 12:59 PM
Ejection: 75% to the right, 25% overhead...Wear a cap! :rolleyes:

Ammo: Broke mine in with CCI minimags in 2002, then Stingers, Velocitors.
It likes the Wally World bulk Remington Goldens. I can also fire target ammo just fine now (have ~3000 rnds thru it).

Shorts
February 11, 2005, 04:29 PM
A guy I met at the range a couple days ago had his P22 out there, shooting Winchester bulk. He said he use to have the FTF/FTE a lot, didn't matter what ammo. He went ahead and filed down the hammer so the slide wouldn't have a lot of resistance to overcome during cyle. He also ground a but on the extractor so that the ejection was consitent and where he wanted. He said since doing those two things, he hasn't had any problems. Just a little FYI for those experiencing the same.

NEtracker
February 12, 2005, 11:05 PM
Top of my hammer is shaved a bit.
Tried the filing, didn't quite work....

zappadragon
February 13, 2005, 01:17 AM
I hate to say it but Walmart Federal bricks are the way to go.

Old Fud
February 13, 2005, 04:42 AM
Mine is totally UNreliable with the standard loads.
Federal I tried is standard lead-nose and only about 105 ft lb of energy.
PMC Zapper was just as bad, and it runs roughly 145 FtLb energy w/40Gr and 1255fps muzzle velocity.

It will work reliably with CCI Stinger (195 ftlb energy)
Unfortunately, this stuff is costing me 10 cents a round.

I am NOT a happy camper.

Fud

George Frye
February 13, 2005, 08:50 AM
Mine works well with the Winchester Xpert and Remington golden from Wal Mart at around 8 dollars for 500 and 550 rounds in the Remington. I had a problem with mine when i first bought it with to much slide drag on the hammer. I shaved it down a little to much so the hammer would not cock when the action cycled. I sent it back to the mfg telling them what i had done and they replaced the hammer for me at no cost. I wonder if it would have fired auto in that condition because the hammer fell when the slide went forward, but that was a dangerous condition i did not want to try. I noticed the new hammer they put is is shaved so they know it is a problem. However mine works great now.

Cav Soldier.............................ALLONS

waterhouse
February 13, 2005, 02:09 PM
another vote for CCI mini mags.

That being said, one of my favorite things about getting a new .22 is taking 15 different brands/kinds of ammo to the range and seeing which one the gun likes best. I actually have an excel spreadsheet now since I have too many .22s to remember which one likes to eat what.

I will say that mini mags seem to be tops out of most of my semi auto .22s though.

NEtracker
February 14, 2005, 12:09 PM
Mine got the Walrep hammer shaving in Jan 2003, along with a firing pin spring replacement. No issues since.

CCI Mini-Mags are great, but yes, pricey. So, I use quite a bit of the Bulk Remington goldens from Wally World, and I just deal with the duds.
CCI Standards, CCI Greentag, Wolf Target all function fine. The Greentag is the most accurate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggest ammo for Walther p22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!