Brass Trimming Question

PDA

Jayhawker
January 28, 2005, 05:23 PM
Hello:

After a lot of years reloading for and shooting pistol, I've gotten back into a rifle-a new CZ 527, .223. I've gotten out all my old equipment from the days when I loaded for .308 and among all the other things (I didn't remember how work intensive brass preparation was) I am trimming and de-burring my new brass. After trimming (I'm doing it with a Hornady brass trimmer hooked up to drill) I've noticed quite the ridge around the edge of the brass where I trimmed. My deburring tool takes care of the brass sticking out on the inside of the brass but doesn't do much for the ridge on the outside. I don't remember that from before. Do others have the same experience? My blades too dull? Any insights would be helpful.

Pete

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass Trimming Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave R
January 28, 2005, 05:38 PM
Deburring/chamfering tool should get the outside stuff as well as the inside stuff.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you. Pix might help.

But if I do understand, then I think your tool is worn or you're not using it right. Should get both inside/outside.

Jayhawker
January 28, 2005, 05:56 PM
Hello:
Thanks for your response. I don't have a camera. The best I can descibe it is there is a flat ridge running around the edge of the trimmed brass. The de-burring tool wouldn't cut it off because of the angle with which it cuts and it is a standard tool. Maybe I'll have to order a new cutter.

Pete

JA
January 28, 2005, 08:54 PM
Your cutter has gotten dull so it is rolling the brass over instead of cutting it. A new cutter will fix you right up.

Dave P
January 28, 2005, 09:16 PM
and dont forget the $2 lee chamfer tool. It will do inside and outside necks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass Trimming Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!