Xd .40

PDA

emann
March 6, 2003, 02:34 PM
Does anyone here have a XD .40 that they've shot numerous times with no ejector breakage problem? Not XD 9's as this problem doesn't seem to be effecting them near as badly. The magazine's all seem to be testing only the XD9 (other then the XD 357 one reviewed and did have the ejector break) so it's hard to tell how bad this problem is other then the results of a poll over at HS2000talk.com which are not real good. Already at least eight broken ejector's reported. The reason I seem to be harping on this is hoping SA will eventually see this or another thread somewhere and realize they do indeed have a problem that need's correcting. Everyone who has claimed to call them has gotten nothing but denials about anyone else reporting a broken ejector to them. I would like to be able an keep my XD .40 and not have to worry about babying the magazines when pushing them in all the time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Xd .40" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
emann
March 6, 2003, 04:30 PM
Nevermind. Seem's SA has finally admitted today that they do indeed have an ejector problem. The bigger problem is that they plan to do nothing about it except change them out as they break. Anyone interested in a new unfired XD 40 please email me. Oh well time to lose some money again and do another gun trade. :banghead:

railroader
March 7, 2003, 12:26 AM
emann, wow you haven't even shot your XD and your getting this worked up. I would almost guarantee that if the ejectors are a problem that springfield will come up with a beefier version for a replacement rather than paying shipping back and forth over and over again to fix the same problem. As I have said before they beefed up the extractor when they took over importation of the 9mm version probably because of complaints from HS 2000 owners so why wouldn't they do the same with the ejectors if they tend to be fragile? Fixing the problem would just make good economic sense. Now go shoot that XD, I really think you will like it. :) Mark

emann
March 7, 2003, 12:44 AM
You're right and I might hold onto it a little while just to see how SA handles this. Just had some bad luck lately. Bought a G26 last year and it was an "affected" E series one. Traded it for an XD because I heard nothing but good stuff about the XD's and then this monster rears it's ugly head. :confused:

Ikari
March 7, 2003, 03:24 AM
I've only put ~500 rounds thru my XD-40, but I've so far had zero problems. I'll be watching it closely for any FTE's. Hopefully it won't be a problem, I was just starting to get really attached to this gun. I'd hate to have to get rid of it, but I won't keep something that's unreliable.

mrt
March 7, 2003, 06:50 AM
"Seem's SA has finally admitted today that they do indeed have an ejector problem"
emann , where exactly did you find this info? From SA themselves or the XD forum.

"I would almost guarantee that if the ejectors are a problem that Springfield will come up with a beefier version for a replacement"
railroader, I know your a knowledgeable person from your posts...but looking at the ejector and what to do to make it better... It appears that it cannot be made larger or moved up more without milling the slide because the slide has got a cut out slot just for the ejector. You can easy see this by looking at the back of the slide. observe cut out on left side:
http://www.americanhandgunner.com/MA03Ftr/photo4.jpg
What I'm thinking is...it's not going to be an easy fix for SA if they decide to take it on. I don't know what their solution will be...I wouldn't mind seeing a total recall to get things right...and while their at it...give us a tougher finish.

railroader
March 7, 2003, 09:02 AM
mrt, very good point. I locked my slide back and I can really see what you are talking about when you refer to there not being room for a larger ejector. Maybe springfield needs to make the tip shorter I don't know. Some of the people who have broken ejectors said that their guns would still eject. I guess we will have to wait and see. Mark

Al Thompson
March 7, 2003, 09:29 AM
Could be a heat treatment problem or some other manufactoring process issue. Given that only some seem to be a problem, it may be a OEM problem. No real way to tell at this time.

E., I'd shoot the darn thing and see what you think. FWIW, if I was to run 300 rounds through a HG, I'd figure it was fine.

Kcustom45
March 7, 2003, 11:51 PM
railroader,
I finally got around to doing that paper test with my girlfriend's XD-40. I was a little confused as to whether or not I was supposed to doing it with a loaded or unloaded magazine, so I tried it with both.
With the unloaded mag I fully inserted it and kept upward pressure on the mag while she pulled the piece of paper out. I came out easy and did not tear.
However, with the loaded magazine when I applied upward pressure to the mag after it was fully seated it did tear the piece of paper. I want to stress that this is only with I was applying pressure not when the mag was simply fully seated. Hopefully people are making this out to be a bigger problem that it is.

mrt
March 8, 2003, 01:34 AM
To check things over for yourself (1) fieldstrip the gun (2) take frame in hand and insert an unloaded *factory mag (3) either apply force to the magazine base or turn the frame (with mag inside) over i.e. upside down and press in the mag a smidge (4) see if the mag hits the ejector.

When the mag simply rests in the gun it doesn't touch. But when it's slammed in there then they do hit with mine... as with most all of the ones that I read about on the XD forum...
This being the case, it seems quiet possible that when we do fast and hard reloads (like in competition, IPSC, or defending our life) that it could break at this crucial. If anyone doubts that a little broke ejector can cause a malfunction then see: http://www.hs2000talk.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002598#000007
note: an aftermarket mag may be longer and hit the ejector harder. if I were to buy any aftermarket or non-factory mag I would first do this test and compare to the factory ones.
I simply want a reliable carry gun. Hope it all works out...overall the XD is a nice gun.
Emann, thx for beginning up this topic here.

.45Ruger
March 9, 2003, 06:05 PM
I've got 500 rounds through mine with no ejector problems so far.

If you enjoyed reading about "Xd .40" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!