Para ....LDA owners...need input

PDA

phantomak47
January 29, 2005, 05:06 PM
I am thinking about getting my first 1911 and I was thinking about getting a para with the LDA, but I dont know much about it. I was wondering how owners like it? any comments on this gun would be appreicated. thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Para ....LDA owners...need input" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ric
January 29, 2005, 09:01 PM
I love mine, carry it more than anything else, highly recommended :D

http://img127.exs.cx/img127/7386/para457xg.jpg

jc2
January 30, 2005, 08:13 AM
First off, you need to decide if you want a 1911 or LDA. Even though the LDA looks somewhat like a 1911 externally, they are two different weapons. Having had both, I definitely prefer the 1911.

WhoKnowsWho
January 30, 2005, 09:30 AM
The LDA trigger is very nice, easy and smooth, but definately not the same feeling as a standard 1911 single action trigger. If you like the trigger stroke, and prefer to have it, then the LDA makes perfect sense. But others only want the small motion upon pressure on the trigger. I like either one, try them both just to sample them.

Smoke
January 30, 2005, 09:54 AM
I bought an LDA and for the record, I beleive it to be the smoothest, lightest Double action trigger out there.

With that said, I don't care for double action guns and traded my LDA in for another Para single action.

Best decision I ever made.

Smoke - Loves Paras

Hawkmoon
January 30, 2005, 11:09 AM
I have both a P12 (single action) and an LDA12 (double action). Trigger weight on both is 4-1/2 pounds, measured by scale. I like both very much and both shoot very well, but the LDA is not really a "1911" because of the action. I carry it more than the P12 because it's stainless and the P12 is blued, but the more I read about the myriad of very small parts inside an LDA pistol the happier I am that I also have one that's true to the Browning design (except for the Series 80 style firing pin block in all Paras).

I also think the new Paras are among the ugliest guns on the market and I would not buy a new one today for that reason alone.

Pointman1776
January 30, 2005, 11:30 AM
I agree that the LDA is indeed the lightest smoothest DA out there on the production market...only thing close are custom trigger action smithing jobs.
I just could NOT get used to it...not the gun...it's me...Todd Jarrett doesn't seem to have a problem with it. ;) After years of shooting Sigs and Berettas and 1911's, I felt like I was in no-man's land, between two worlds and not really feeling comfortable in limbo. But the ability for a double-stack...that's real nice, especially if you prefer larger gripped guns, like I do.

Re: fit & finish: I've seen QA all over the map on Para's: some NIB's are amazingly tight pieces that feel like they've been custom hand fitted and even lapped together. Then I've seen other samples of the EXACT SAME model, NIB, that would made a Glock feel like an Ed Brown by comparison. Before you take one home, make sure the fittings are acceptable to you, if not, send it back and get another one.

Since the LDA is such a different animal, be sure to find one you can shoot before you buy. You'll instantly love it or feel awkward...no in betweens on this one.

Good luck!

macavada
January 30, 2005, 01:22 PM
I like the idea of having a light double action with a grip safety and a thumb safety.

I've handled a couple at the gun stores. The only thing is I own a P12-45 that is unreliable, and it has soured me on Paras. I might try one someday that is used and guaranteed reliable or money back by the seller. Absent that, I don't trust Para to put out a consistent product.

That LDA is sweet, however.

Drill Sergeant
January 30, 2005, 04:06 PM
OK, here's my .02 worth. I purchased both the P-12 in steel & P-13 in light weight. It took many, many returns to get them to function reliably. Had them to two different warranty stations. After many alterations the factory even had to replace the slides. After a couple of years they finally worked well and only then could I sell the P-12 with a clear conscience.

Why go through this agony :banghead: when there are other more reliable brands available?

litework
January 31, 2005, 01:04 PM
Re: fit & finish: I've seen QA all over the map on Para's: some NIB's are amazingly tight pieces that feel like they've been custom hand fitted and even lapped together. Then I've seen other samples of the EXACT SAME model, NIB, that would made a Glock feel like an Ed Brown by comparison. Before you take one home, make sure the fittings are acceptable to you, if not, send it back and get another one.

The sample I just received, a SSP PXT Single stack/Single Action, smokes all my other 1911's. I received my Para on Tuesday and took it out with my Colt 1991 this Saturday. An enjoyable day and I was most impressed with the SSP. It was definitely the better shooter of the two...tighter groups and smoother operation; I didn't use the factory mags though. Once I get more confidence in this gun, I'm definitely going to purchase another one. If you want a 1911 and you want a Para Ordnance...this single stack/single action is worth a look. I'm a little leery of 1911 double stacks, though.

Ala Dan
January 31, 2005, 05:33 PM
Greetings All-

Here is another vote for Para's 1911 SSP, and the Commander size LTC.
Fit and finish, these guns rate among the top; not to mention accuracy.
Lot's of bells and whistles for the low price tag of only $599. :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

sigma 40ve
January 31, 2005, 09:05 PM
I have a C7.45 and my wife has a Tac Four. We really like them, they are both keepers.

Alan Fud
February 1, 2005, 10:49 PM
I have to agree with Drill Sergeant, I own a few LDA's ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f111.jpg (http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f110.jpg)

... and they have been less than reliable first thing out of the box.

Khornet
February 2, 2005, 12:22 PM
I was sold by the trigger, because I want a DA for carry and this DA is superb.

Out of the box there were failures to feed in the beginning, with certain bullet shapes. After about 1000 rds it no longer happens whatever the ammo. Accurate gun. I'm pleased. YMMV.

If you enjoyed reading about "Para ....LDA owners...need input" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!