I'm going to be in Oak Ridge, Tenn this summer, where to shoot?

PDA

Bergeron
March 6, 2003, 05:55 PM
I just found out that I've been accepted into a summer internship program at Oak Ridge, Tennessee. I was wondering where the good places to shoot are?

Any laws I need to be aware of?

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm going to be in Oak Ridge, Tenn this summer, where to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BamBam
March 6, 2003, 06:22 PM
You should really like the Oak Ridge/Knoxville area.
Tennessee is gun-friendly but I don't live near Oak Ridge so I can't give you the lowdown on ranges.

JHill
March 6, 2003, 08:13 PM
IF you will be in Oak Ridge--getting a membership to ORSA would be more than worth the $50-60 even though you wouldn't be able to take advantage of rest of the year.

Guncraft off of Lovell RD has a great indoor 25yd pistol range, but $9.75/hr range time can become steep.

25mins north on I75 gets you to Norris and the outdoor 45yd pistol/ 200 yd rifle bays for about $20 for the year.

I think ORSA gives you the best of all worlds:
1000yd match rifle range
trap/skeet
plinking range
competition range
200yd benchrest range
indoor pistol range
archery range
A brand new dedicated IPSC range w/ 4-5 bays
Last, but not least--a fishing pond!!!!

Bergeron
March 6, 2003, 08:43 PM
Oh man, ORSA sounds like a NICE place. I've never shot at a range with more than a 200 yard line. Might be time to dust off my 7600.

Zander
March 6, 2003, 08:55 PM
There are lots of High Roaders in East Tennessee. Remind us before you arrive and we'll take care of you... ;)

Bainx
March 6, 2003, 09:00 PM
Bergeron, you gonna love it!

http://orsa.nxs.net/orsa/index.cfm

:D

hso
March 6, 2003, 09:10 PM
Bergeron,

I work in Oak Ridge and we'll try to make sure that we find a sponsor for your membership at ORSA while you are there.

Where is the internship going to be.

Mike

Bergeron
March 6, 2003, 09:18 PM
Well, I don't know all the details yet, but I do know that I will be working in the Engineering Science and Technology Division under Dr. Steve Allison doing R&D on thermographic phosphors for sensing applications. My internship starts on June 2, and runs until August 8.

I would definetly appreciate sponsorship into ORSA. The IPSC sounds like a whole lotta good time.

Marko Kloos
March 6, 2003, 10:05 PM
ORSA is one of the very few 1000-yard rifle ranges in this part of the country. Drop a line when you get here, and we'll show you around.

Bainx
March 7, 2003, 08:00 AM
Sounds like you will be located in Y-12 in one of the "Alpha" buildings on the east side of the plant or else at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. You will like either location as both are world-class centers of scientific research.

.45TCB
March 7, 2003, 11:59 AM
Guncraft Sports in Knoxville has a site here (http://www.guncraft.com/home.html).

I've never shot there, but it the folks have been friendly when I've been in.

Bergeron
May 19, 2003, 03:24 AM
Just found out that I will probably not be doing any shooting over the summer. Oak Ridge is being kind enough to provide us with a rent free place to stay, but no guns are allowed. Bummer.

They did give me a name and number of a lady who is the head of the Women's Auxillary, who is apparently a big time shooter, and who, they said, might be able to hook me up with some rental guns to shoot.

Anyone know of ranges in the area with storage facilities?

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm going to be in Oak Ridge, Tenn this summer, where to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!