In a SHTF scenario would you let a friend or neighbor borrow a gun?

PDA

joey93turbo
January 30, 2005, 05:41 PM
I started thinking about this the other day when one of my friends mentioned something along the lines of "If we ever have a problem on US soil and we need a gun, we'll just borrow one from Joey". Yes, I own 23 guns, but after much thought I've come to the conclusion that I wouldn't let my friends or neighbors borrow a gun, even in a SHTF scenario. First, I think it's naive and irresponsible of them to not own their own weapons. Second, in a situation like that handing them a gun their unfamiliar and unpracticed with would not be a good idea. Most of the people I know have only shot once or twice, and that was with me. In all honesty, most couln't hit a man sized target at 100 yards with my AK, or even a pop can at 10 yards with my P226.

Would you loan your extra guns in a SHTF scenario?

If you enjoyed reading about "In a SHTF scenario would you let a friend or neighbor borrow a gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
xenobia
January 30, 2005, 05:48 PM
I can only think of two of my friends to which I'd be willing to loan out weapons. Granted I would trust them with my life. That they already own and use firearms may or may not play into this. :scrutiny:

HungSquirrel
January 30, 2005, 05:51 PM
If the SHTF and my trusted neighbor said "You were right, I was wrong, would you please train me how to use a gun and let me borrow one? If we survive, I'll clean it and give it back, promise!", I may be inclined to cave in. :)

HighVelocity
January 30, 2005, 05:55 PM
I have a neighbor whom is a good friend and even though he is not that experienced with guns I would not hesitate to put a gun in his hand. I would make sure he understood that unless the gun was pointed at the BG that his finger better be off the trigger, oh and don't hide behind me. ;)

Devonai
January 30, 2005, 05:59 PM
Deja Vu:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=105308

Let's see if anybody changes their answer! ;)

Moondoggie
January 30, 2005, 06:00 PM
Sure...lend 'em a single-shot weapon and let 'em walk point. They can draw fire and serve a purpose as "cannon fodder". Oh, OK, they can have a few rds of ammo, too! Ya never know, they might get lucky...after all, there is such a thing as "gifted amatuers".

While looking thru my guns once upon a time one of my non-shooting friends asked if he could borrow my Rem Mod 7 ltwt .243 if the opportunity arose for him to hunt Javelina with some co-workers. I said "Nope, but I MIGHT let you borrow this SKS".

When he asked why the SKS and not the Remmington I informed him that there was a big difference btwn a $59 a$$ whoopin and a $500 a$$ whoopin if he dropped it or otherwise broke it/grr'd it up.

ruger270man
January 30, 2005, 06:00 PM
well now that you said how many guns you own, the ATF will take all 23 of them in a SHTF situation :neener:

I might as well let a few people borrow a gun that I wouldnt need, as long as I trust they wont kill me.. and ill tell them its my last one..

Dr.Rob
January 30, 2005, 06:02 PM
Friends? Why not? Neighbors? A few of them.

Funny thing is I don't keep most of my guns at my place. They'd be out of luck.

Lone_Gunman
January 30, 2005, 06:03 PM
You can only shoot one gun at a time (unless you are Neo).

I would give a gun to every able bodied man, woman, and child who would be on my side.

Philosphical points can be made after the S gets cleaned off the fan.

bogie
January 30, 2005, 06:18 PM
Yeah, if nasty stuff happens, I can come close to arming just about everyone in my little subdivision.

But I think most of 'em already have their own toys.

Whoever comes in walking point won't matter - the folks around here bow hunt...

Zach S
January 30, 2005, 06:21 PM
"Here's my AMT. You get to be in front."

SmershAgent
January 30, 2005, 07:08 PM
Unless I had good reason to believe that a potential borrowee would do something egregiously stupid/irresponsible or would shoot me in the back as soon as I turned around, I'd arm everyone I could if it was a truly dire situation.

My thoughts exactly. An emergency scenario like this is not the time to be saying, "I told you so. Now go find your own"

SkunkApe
January 30, 2005, 07:33 PM
You can only shoot one gun at a time (unless you are Neo).

I would give a gun to every able bodied man, woman, and child who would be on my side.

This is the only correct answer. Anything else is childish "nyaa-nyaa-nyaa, I told you so" stuff.

ChopperKen
January 30, 2005, 07:36 PM
My neighbors and most of my friends are relatives of mine, And most have thier own go bangs.
If they needed one of mine to help get back to thier stash all they have to do is ask...
Ken

rick_reno
January 30, 2005, 07:42 PM
Friend - yes. Neighbor - no.

jefnvk
January 30, 2005, 08:01 PM
Friend, very few. Of course, if it were a life/death situtation, I guess any chance that they may hurt themselves is negligble anyways.

Relatives, Yes.

Neighbors, again very few.

homeka45
January 30, 2005, 08:02 PM
Family members yes, neighbors no, at least not the ones I have now.

DelayedReaction
January 30, 2005, 08:15 PM
I live in a college apartment complex, so I wouldn't trust my neighbors with a kitchen knife, let alone a handgun.

My friends on the other hand, a few.

Greg L
January 30, 2005, 08:24 PM
Of course.

However unless I had been shooting with them before/knew about their gun knowledge some other way they would only be getting a bolt action. Too many things can go wrong too quickly with a semi auto.

Greg

DarkKnight01
January 30, 2005, 08:30 PM
Yes for the most part, depending on if I liked my neighbor or not... but for the most part any man or woman willing to fight for his/her country can fight at my side anytime. So long as he/she keeps the boomer end pointed at the enemy.

Kaylee
January 30, 2005, 08:33 PM
The thing is... most everyone I know that I'd trust with a gun already has their own. :)

lee n. field
January 30, 2005, 08:56 PM
Friends, maybe, assuming they aren't already equipped.

Where I live, the neighbors would be the folks I would be watching.

geekWithA.45
January 30, 2005, 08:59 PM
The folks I trust mostly have their own, the few who don't are welcome to them.

As for gun biggots who've suddenly seen the light...they can load my mags.

Mauserguy
January 30, 2005, 09:00 PM
Joey93turbo, I agree with you whole-heartedly, I would never allow anybody to borrow a gun out of my sight. I also agree that if they are so careless to not have an arm readily available, I am under no moral obligation to provide a weapon for them. I have a friend who said almost exactly the same thing that your friend said about coming to me to borrow a gun. I am not the local gun bank. I will not lend. Having said that, all of the people that I would tend to trust already have toys to bring to the party.
Mauserguy

sturmruger
January 30, 2005, 09:05 PM
If it was gun that did not fit into my home defense plan I would lend it out. The problem is I don't know to many neighbors that well. I do have a couple of good friends that I know are resposible enough with a firearm that I could probably find something that they could protect themselves with.

Andrew Rothman
January 30, 2005, 09:06 PM
In all honesty, most couln't hit...even a pop can at 10 yards with my P226.

I don't know that I could repeatedly hit a pop can at 30 feet with a 9mm pistol, and I've been shooting pistols for a year and a half plus. Am I that bad, or are your standards unrealistic?

armoredman
January 30, 2005, 09:22 PM
Neighbor to the left - good solid person, hard working family man with a 14 year old daughter to worry about - he gets a Mosin 91/30 and a 60 round battlepouch. All I have to offer. :( Neighbor to the right is evil old woman who pitched a FIT, becuase my son and I stood on her driveway to avoid being run over. She gets a finger, and after she leaves in panic, we raid her house for what's left. :evil:
Lots of retirees here - lots of WWII, Korean, and Veitnam war vets here, armed and capable, just usually very quiet about it. :cool: We'll manage.

Fred Fuller
January 30, 2005, 10:10 PM
Would. Have. Would again, for the right person. Not just any ninny who happened along of course, but someone I knew was honest and competent, yes. And not just loan, give if need be.

I have more guns than there are people I know that I would loan them to... .

lpl/nc

stevelyn
January 31, 2005, 06:32 AM
Anyone who knows me personally has heard me rant at least once about the importance of being prepared. If they choose not to listen or have their priorities in other places that is their problem.
Lack of prior, proper planning on their part, does not constitute a moral obligation on my part to pull their bacon out of the fire.

NC Shooter
January 31, 2005, 07:23 AM
During the LA riots Charlton Heston received a lot of requests for guns from his friends in the Hollywood Elite. His answer, NO! You are not properly trained to use them and as such, you will be a danger to others around you and might hurt an innocent person.

Pretty good answer I thought.

Mark

fistful
January 31, 2005, 07:33 AM
Not this thread again. :eek: please stow your assault rifles under the seats, facing the outside of the aircraft. Unless you're packin' an M249. Then you can only put it between your knees

Zach S
January 31, 2005, 07:57 AM
Mabye I should answer a little more in depth.

Family: Not many. Not too many shooters, well, there's only one that I'm aware of, and since I own my gns i dont see how I can loan myself one. One of my brothers would somehow manage to accidently kill every friendly within 20 miles.

Friends: Dont have any close friends. Most of my friends are comprised of co-workers and regulars I know from the range. Some of my co-workers can handle themselves, others cant, some would get "I told you so." Of course the regulars at the range are a different story.

Neighbors: Dont know many, many is defined as more than two, even then I dont know them well. One has his own hardware, and hopefully he can handle himself. The other is always under the influence of something, and while he's a nice guy and all, I wouldnt hand him anything that goes bang.

Mr. Mysterious
January 31, 2005, 09:56 AM
Family- Yes, but they all live about 2+ hours away, so in a SHTF scenerio, we probably wouldn't be by each other, besides most of them have guns.

Friends- Yes, most have guns, a lot are in the military with me.

Neighbors- No, I don't know my neighbors in my apartment except for friends that live a couple buildings down, they would apply to friends and not neighbors.

RavenVT100
January 31, 2005, 10:16 AM
Aside from my wife, there are two people I can think of that I would hand one of my weapons to, and one of them is my father in law. The other one I work closely with on a day to day basis. He has military training and owns firearms himself.

But a stranger? No way. This isn't the movies ("have you ever used one of these?").

nwmanitou
January 31, 2005, 11:07 AM
Well, my closest friends each have comparable collections to mine. The three of us even practice defensive shooting drills (in our own mall ninja ways). I doubt I'd hand anything out to my neighbors, or at least until I could verify they'd be competent with it.

On a side note. Several of my extended family members have admitted to having SHTF dreams in which their one goal was to get to my house for safety and supplies. They might tease me about my food storage and water jugs under the bed, or having a machete in my car travel kit, but when it comes down to it they all seem to view me as a major component in their emergency plans.

Joe Demko
January 31, 2005, 11:27 AM
Why on Earth would I want to arm the very people whom I will be shooting? (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=44324&highlight=shoot+blue+helmets)

Red Tornado
January 31, 2005, 11:50 AM
My only close neighbors are in-laws and have more weapons than me, but I'd loan any extras to neighbors farther away.

If we're on the same side, extra weapons will do more good in someone's hands than stashed at my house. I'd only have a few extra battle rifles, but .22s are better than nothing if someone needs it.
RT

Hawkmoon
January 31, 2005, 01:27 PM
If my brother got to my home in a SHTF scenario, I have a Henry .22 rifle he could use, and a revolver he probably wouldn't get in too much trouble with. I have one friend in the next town who is a veteran and who shoots regularly with his father. I could trust him with a semi-automatic rifle or a 1911.

The gay guys next door? Not a chance.

4thHorseman
January 31, 2005, 01:41 PM
Where was he when it came to personal gun rights?
If SHTF will he always be your friend, just because he is your neighbor?
Will your neighbor turn on you or your family members with your guns that you gaven him, if you have something he wants, like food?
You trained everyone in your family to use a fire arm?

I will not give him my guns or ammo, if he does not believe in the use of firearms, he does not own one of his own to protect his family, it is not my problem to protect his politically correct views or his politically correct family.
My family comes first.

Series 70
January 31, 2005, 01:42 PM
I don't have any to spare, really. There are enough in my house to properly arm the family and that's about it. I suppose I could loan out the Buckmark.

All our friends, except one family, have at least one rifle in their houses. That one family I don't think I'd trust without some training time. We don't have a lot of relatives locally, but those we do have are not armed. I could probably be persuaded to let my brother-in-law borrow the buckmark, just to annoy his anti wife.

Neighbors - the few I'd trust are already armed.

TonyB
January 31, 2005, 01:53 PM
Depends on who it is.....my shooting buddies have their own guns..but if they didn't ,I'd let them borrow..Dad..yes...neighbors...no...just get down when the shooting starts..... ;)

mainmech48
January 31, 2005, 02:46 PM
With my nearest neighbors (next door, both sides), probably not. Both pairs have no children, seem to think that I should allow them the use of whatever pieces of my property they care to infringe upon for their gardens, fences, etc. without consultation or compensation, and allow them to pick my roses whenever they like.

If it sounds as if we've bumped heads, it's because we have.

Friends are another matter entirely. Relatives by blood or marriage another.

In the gravest extreme, I might take the neighbors in under 'Lifeboat Rules' if they could demonstrate that they could bring something material to the survival chances of the group besides their appetites and opinions.

Sactown
January 31, 2005, 03:11 PM
yeap, I sure would. I got enough for the whole block, ammo available at nominal cost :D

PaulBk
January 31, 2005, 03:24 PM
Since all my neighbors are hunters/shooters, it is a moot point. But I *would* loan them some ammo, if they needed it ... :)

-PB

AirForceShooter
January 31, 2005, 03:35 PM
oh:
you mean the neighbors that looked at you real funny when they find out you have guns?
The one's that asked "what do you need a gun for?"
Here in florida when the hurricanes come the SHTF after the storm. You never hear about that on CNN. The looters come out.
4 Hurricanes in 6 weeks we have a system in place.
NO, i'm not loaning my neighbors any of my guns, EVER. I have no idea if they're able to figure out which end the bullet comes out from.
As for my friends, they have their own.

AFS

hso
January 31, 2005, 04:19 PM
Probably, but 2 of them are THR members and wouldn't need anything and all but one of the others have shotguns. He'd need a little training, but is trustworthy. The closest neighbor's son just got back from Iraq serving with the Marines and I think he already knows which end the bullets come out of.

R.H. Lee
January 31, 2005, 04:29 PM
It would be on a case-by-case basis, but it's moot. Most of my neighbors already got 'they own shootin' arns' :evil:

Lonestar.45
January 31, 2005, 04:59 PM
It depends on the friend or neighbor, and it depends on the SHTF scenario. I've got friends and neighbors that are ex-military, yet don't own a gun, or if they do, it's a .22. If it were a real SHTF scenario, yeah, I'm pretty sure I could trust them not to shoot themselves on accident if I gave them a loaner. Some of them, not only would I NOT loan them a gun, I'm pretty sure I'd probably have to be pointing one at them.

In a bad situation, I'd probably prefer to have 10 of my friends/neighbors armed, rather than just me sitting there with 10 guns. Rambo I am not.

Luku
January 31, 2005, 05:18 PM
My Neighbors? probably not. i don't know them that well.

My friends? some of my closest friends, yes. One of my closest friends taught me to shoot, my first firearm a shotgun.

Ala Dan
January 31, 2005, 05:21 PM
No, not my neighbor's! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Cuz I don't trust 'em! :cool:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

SAG0282
January 31, 2005, 06:29 PM
Depends on who, but yes I have no problem loaning guns to my friends. Most are on loan to friends at the moment anyway.

AZLibertarian
January 31, 2005, 06:36 PM
The first problem I see with your question is: How do you define when the S hits the F? IOW, one neighbor may see things as more dire than another, and it may take some convincing to get everyone on the same sheet of music. That said...

Me. Probably not. Not that I'm unwilling to help arm someone who might be helpful to my immediate security, but most of my neighbors would be more of a problem than a help. I have the absolute strangest man I've ever met living right across the street. I'd watch him 24/7. The rest of the neighborhood is split between guys I'd trust if they didn't have their own boatload of health problems, and others who I either don't know well or don't trust fully. So my arms and ammo will probably stay in the family.

admar2
January 31, 2005, 08:15 PM
no such thing as "extra guns" or "extra ammunition" I need em all.

let them try and borrow guns from the two metro cops that live in our neighborhood. :) noone in my neighborhood knows how well armed I am, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Seriously though, I wouldn't be handing out my weapons to anyone I was confident could competently handle them. IOW I don't wanna get shot with an errant round from one of my own weapons.

jmilliron
January 31, 2005, 10:08 PM
noone in my neighborhood knows how well armed I am, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I don't really trust my neighbors that much anyway. Most of my friends though, I'd lend them a handgun and a few rounds.

-jason m

Mr. Kook
January 31, 2005, 10:14 PM
Yes, I would loan a friend a gun.

A man can always use back up, especially in an SHTF situation.

crt360
January 31, 2005, 10:42 PM
As far as I can tell, all of my friends and most of my neighbors have guns. There are plenty of others around with more guns for loaning to those in need. Our neighborhood would probably bust out like Mogadishu on any invaders.

G1FAL
January 31, 2005, 11:09 PM
Pretty much depends on the situation. Most situations, no way. OTOH, let's say there is some sort of huge rebellion or somesuch going on. Everyone's taking potshots at blue helmets, alphabet boys, space aliens, zombies, name your favorite target. Thats when the Mosins, Mausers, Enfields, etc. come out. Here's a rifle, here's 40 rounds (yes, I am being optimistic with this, but WTH, right?), here's how you load it, here's how you aim and fire. Go north/south/east/wherever. Meanwhile, I go somewhere else and accomplish whatever goal. There are very few people I'd trust in most SHTF type situations, and of those, they are all either already armed with their own stuff, or they live with me, which means they're armed. As cruel or whatever as it may sound, any bullet that the bad guys are wasting on someone else is one that they're NOT expending in my direction.

thorn726
February 1, 2005, 06:33 AM
i barely own my own arm, if there was a real situation i rely on my local armory.
i donate a little $$ when i can. people who have lots of guns are usually into sharing them. these guys are really cool about it.

i assume we're talking natural disaster or natonal emrgency typs sit. here, but it also applies to just going out to the woods

HiWayMan
February 1, 2005, 02:57 PM
My friends have their own toys. We are even compatible on some platforms.

My neighbors who failed to plan can stuff it. However there children can stay with me and mine. I do not feel that it is neccessary to punish the son for the sins of the father.

My family, all I can say is don't mess with mama when she's got a heater in her hand.

Mornard
February 1, 2005, 03:29 PM
Sure - I"ve plenty. Except all my friends already have their own stuff...

Chupacabra
February 1, 2005, 03:33 PM
Depends.

Friends - Yes, but only friends with firearm experience. If their primary carry piece is in the shop and they don't have a backup I probably would lend one of mine. Other friends would get one only if the situation was very dire (Big time SHTF). If they needed one for self defense I would drive them to the gun shop, help them pick something out and sign them up for a basic pistol safety class.

Neighbors - Hell no! But if the situation was a huge SHTF scenario, I might. "Here! Take this pistol. All you have to do is pull the trigger. Shoot any zombie / space alien / blue helmet you see coming down the hall." Other than that...probably not.

foghornl
February 1, 2005, 03:47 PM
My Sis-in-Law, or Brother-in-Law, yes. Other than those folks.....see below

He (they) become the food preparer, BG spotter, ammo carrier, mag reloader, etc.

With my luck, if I gave the guy a weapon, he would probably shoot me in the back as I am going inside my home.

itgoesboom
February 1, 2005, 04:10 PM
I will change my answer from the last time. Simply because I have moved since then, and the situation has changed. At my old place, there were no neighbors that I would trust giving one of my rifles to, but where I live now, there are one or two neighbors that I would consider lending a rifle to.

I.G.B.

Yooper
February 1, 2005, 04:14 PM
If the S has truly HTF, then all bets are off concerning relationships. I wouldn't give or lend anything which could be used against me at a later time if no rules apply.

Evil_Ed
February 1, 2005, 05:01 PM
one of my friends mentioned something along the lines of "If we ever have a problem on US soil and we need a gun, we'll just borrow one from Joey".

Tell him there is no way in hell he will have the privilidge of borrowing one of your guns under any circumstances since apparently his only advance planning for protecting himself and his family is to leave it to someone else. He is selfish, short sighted, and a bad friend if he expects you to bail his a** out of the fire without offering the same services in return.

I would and have offered my home to friends as a hurricane shelter because you don't always have a decent choice in where you live and it is very hard to storm proof an apartment or dorm room. If a friend needed a place to stay during a SHTF situation I would offer them space and would expect them to bring as much food/supplies as they could carry to add to the pile (including firearms and ammo if they have them). Friends who through circumstances beyond their control could not afford to buy or can't store firearms would be allowed to use mine if I have any to spare. However if a friend of mine said what your buddy said to you I would have a serious "Come to Jesus" discussion with him about expecting me to protect his sorry butt when he won't take responsibility for his own life.

psyopspec
February 1, 2005, 05:25 PM
Friends that I've taken to the range and seen demonstrate a competent knowledge of firearms operation and safety would get a gun, no question. If no training, I'd offer shelter to them if they wanted it. If they were just stopping by for a weapon, the best I could do for them would be a can of pepper spray or an asp.

As far as neighbors, I only know one of the other people in my building, and he's a recreational substance abuser, so no way. This thread has got me thinking, not only would I not lend my neighbors any guns, but I'd be checking my back for some of them. Scary stuff.

enfield
February 1, 2005, 05:29 PM
In general, my response would be NWIH, watch this. . . .

On the other hand, if it were my neighbor of 30 years next door, I'd say "which do you want - the FAL or the AR15?"

jlwatts3
February 1, 2005, 06:31 PM
Friends: Some, but like everyone else, the one's that I would be most likely to loan one to, already have one.

Neighbors: Not unless they loaned me something I needed just as badly.

Family: Of course. My grandfather doesn't own any guns, but he landed on Omaha 6 hours into the invasion and fought all the way into germany so he knows which way to point the thing.

shooter1
February 1, 2005, 06:47 PM
My friends? You bet! Of course my friends, (counted on one hand, with fingers left over). My neighbors, not likely!! Of course my friends have as many guns as I do-------
str1

Rabid Rabbit
February 1, 2005, 08:46 PM
Of course I would. Considering he gave me a 20ga shotgun to go hunting with.

Farnham
February 1, 2005, 09:21 PM
Only got three true longtime friends: Army Lt, Marine Sgt, former Marine Sgt. All far from here. They show up, they're not only getting guns, ammo, and chow, but they'll be bringing the big toys. :evil:

Neighbors: Don't know them real well yet, just moved out here, but one seems trustworthy, he might get the SKS and a few stripper clips if he asks. The other ones, I'll defend them if they can cook, fill sandbags, and feed themselves. I'm betting though that I'll hear more gunshots than pleas for help from most of the folks out here, judging from the rifle racks, Texas Trophy Hunters stickers, and "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again" signs. :D

Family: 1100 miles away, and Dad's got the hardware to take care of himself.

Farnham

PaleRyder
February 1, 2005, 11:18 PM
No. I wouldn't even let anyone in my family apart from my girlfriend or my dad borrow any of mine.

ReadyontheRight
February 2, 2005, 12:47 AM
Pre-SHTF - "Sure, I'll help you get a good deal on a gun and help you learn how to use it. Let's go to the range!"

Post-SHTF - "Here are the 4 rules of firearms." "This is the magazine, this is the chamber." "This is a XXX cartridge, good for _________ and accurate out to XXX yards". "Here is how you put a round into the chamber." "Here is the safety - Never trust the safety - YOUR safety is between your ears -- GOT IT?" "Tell me the four rules again". "Another rule is that you open up the action when handing a firearm to another person". "Handle this weapon, load it and take a shot". "Squeeze that trigger, the shot should surprise you." "Tuck it into your shoulder." "Now..The S. has H. T. F. -- what's our plan for protection of our neighborhoodl?" ..... "Keep that muzzle pointed somewhere safe dammit!"

Of course, it all depends on the situation and the person.

One reason I even own more than one or two guns is so that more than just me and my family can fight back against the Mongol hordes or whatever. Unlikely. But I'm sure it was also considered unlikely many times in history.

Just because people don't choose to understand guns doesn't make them bad*...just unenlightened.

I cherish the Golden Age in which we live, but life is precarious here on the shoulders of giants.

*However, working to infringe upon my right to own guns DOES make a person "BAD"

outofbattery
February 2, 2005, 08:25 AM
No , there's just no way to tell if they might really be a zombie/ninja/lycanthrope/UN sympathizer/sleeper agent/already infected/zombie bitten .

ojibweindian
February 2, 2005, 12:27 PM
Nope. Poor planning on their part does not constitute a crisis on my part.

bamawrx
February 2, 2005, 03:57 PM
You guys have friends that don't own guns? :D

GTKrockeTT
February 2, 2005, 05:12 PM
i have a decent collection of firearms, but if i had only 1 gun, it would already be more than all my friends combined. that said, i have taken many of them shooting, and they are familiar with most of mine. they just tend not to buy their own...saying things like, if something really goes down, i'm driving to [my] house.

Elkslayer
February 2, 2005, 05:51 PM
If you truly mean a SHTF scenario, what would be the downside if you did?

I'd think the downside if you didn't would be greater, i.e. you're dead ! ! !

JeepDriver
February 2, 2005, 08:23 PM
Neighbors don't know I own guns and I'm trying to keep it that way.

There are only 3 friends I'd loan a gun to, but they all have guns! One of them would need a good long gun though ;)

Everyone else can pound sand :neener:

standingbear
February 2, 2005, 08:54 PM
friend neighbor..why not if they can help in a free for all.if it was life or death,it wouldnt matter.Id just be glad for the help.

In a normal just wanting to go try a different gun..doubtful- family only(or friends I consider family) and wether or not I went along with them to go plinkin depends on how much trust I have in them in being safe and careful with my guns...not to mention treating them with great respect.

El Rojo
February 3, 2005, 12:08 AM
That is one of the reasons I justify having as many guns as I do. All of my friends who don't make guns such a priority are the ones I plan on arming and having assist me in my goals at the time. My neighbors also apply. From my understanding, our neighborhood should do just fine.

lycanthrope
February 3, 2005, 12:22 AM
He can load mags while I kill zombies.......

ReadyontheRight
February 3, 2005, 01:48 AM
El Rojo -- We need to move into the same neighborhood! No S. will dare H. T. F. !

I assume you'll be manning the Garand so you can shoot the zombies one-handed (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=89494&highlight=rojo+class+garand). :neener:

El Rojo
February 3, 2005, 01:57 PM
A Garand in one hand and the M1A in the other. So that leaves about 20 plus more people I can equip. Unless they each have a gun in each hand and then it is closer to 10 give or take a few.

Seriously, why else would someone own so many guns if they weren't willing to give a bunch to their friends and neighbors in a SHTF scenario? You most certainly aren't going to be able to use them all at once and you aren't going to throw them all in your economy car and bug out. The point in having all of those guns is so you can arm the neighborhood and defend the area as a team.

I live on the edge of town where we could cut off our neighborhood by blocking two roads. You man some people on those two roads and have roving sentries to guard the perimeter. When you have like minded people and all of our livlihoods are at stake, I don't think you would have a problem organizing the few hundred people in that neighborhood into an effective force for resisting civil unrest. Now if we are talking us vs. the government, then yeah, you need to get all of your stuff and bug out.

LiquidTension
February 3, 2005, 02:40 PM
The only people outside of my family that I trust enough to loan a gun to would be the same people that head to the hills with me when SHTF. So yeah, I'd loan to friends...because they'd be next to me :) Neighbors? No way. I don't know them.

[edit] - I don't have enough guns to arm more than my friends anyway.

stealthmode
February 3, 2005, 04:28 PM
i only know one of my neighbors and he already has his own guns, so the rest of them, unless they start waving back at me when i wave then they are going to be on their own

patent
February 3, 2005, 04:35 PM
Seriously, why else would someone own so many guns if they weren't willing to give a bunch to their friends and neighbors in a SHTF scenario?

Cause they are fun to shoot?

My extremely meager collection pales in comparison to many around here (including yours), but I didn't buy any of them for SHTF, I bought them to hunt or shoot at the range. Many would be useful if the SHTF, and that hasn't escaped my attention, but I didn't buy them to loan them out, or even to hoard them to myself in a SHTF situation.

Of course, if the situation arose I probably would loan to some folks, not to others. Depends on the person. Some people, in my judgment, wouldn't be capable of pulling the trigger when the time came. I'd be better off with them loading mags, or just plain out of my hair hiding in a basement somewhere. Most of my family fits in this category, sadly.

patent

El Rojo
February 3, 2005, 09:57 PM
Ah, I love Kern County and being on top of the list. I would just like to know who the ten people are in San Francisco.

entropy
February 4, 2005, 12:04 PM
Seriously, why else would someone own so many guns if they weren't willing to give a bunch to their friends and neighbors in a SHTF scenario? You most certainly aren't going to be able to use them all at once and you aren't going to throw them all in your economy car and bug out.

Well, just as in the days of yore with front stuffers, one could pile them all, loaded, in the immediate vicinity. ;) And not everybody drives an economy car. I could fit a lot more guns than I own into my Expedition. I have some guns I'd loan to the hapless unarmed fools I am related too, and a select few freinds who don't own, or only own 1, so they could 'butter knife brigade' it, and trade up. :evil:

Lonestar.45
February 4, 2005, 12:16 PM
I love guns as much as the next guy, but I think at some point, one reaches a critical mass of guns, and having more is just overkill, IHMO. For everyone it's different, sure. I know, that's heresey on this board, but I don't want or need 20 Mosins and 15 SKS's and 48 handguns, especially if I wasn't willing to hand them out in a SHTF situation.

If one is REALLY intent on preparing for a SHTF scenario, instead of having 50 guns, limit your collection somewhat, and spend the rest of the $ you save on ammo, food storage, a generator, medical supplies, you know, all the boring non-flashy stuff that you'll REALLY need. Of course, that's just one man's opinion.

Tamara
February 4, 2005, 12:28 PM
...I have a fire team. ;)

xdoctor
February 4, 2005, 01:31 PM
This is an interesting question. Having sat and thought on it for some time, I've decided that it depends on the situation. What kind of S is HTF? Is there a riot in the street? Has some foreign power bombed us into a post-apocalyptic Kevin Costner in a trenchcoat scenario? Is China attacking the mainland?

I have to say, the only way I'd loan someone a gun is if the enemy is down the street and headed this way.

If you enjoyed reading about "In a SHTF scenario would you let a friend or neighbor borrow a gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!