recommended grip for S&W 686+

PDA

cmsgt
December 30, 2002, 11:08 PM
I have had a S&W 686+, 3 inch barrel, for a couple of years. It came with a nice Hogue finger-groove grip, but I bought a Pachmyr American Legend wood/rubber to enhance its appearance. My only complaint with these is that they are just a little bigger than I would like -- great for the range, but I was thinking of switching back to the Hogues; unless I find something something else on the market that looks good and does not have a huge girth. Any recommendations? BTW, the revolver is not for ccw; it's my main house gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "recommended grip for S&W 686+" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dot_mdb
December 31, 2002, 12:19 AM
In my opinion Hogues are the best. I have them on three S&W's and a Ruger. I took the wood grips off of my md28 and I find that it is more comfortable to shoot with the Hogues.

Bill

VictorLouis
December 31, 2002, 12:35 AM
I suggest the laminates, as the regular wood grips are thicker than the rubber stocks to be strong enough for the task. Also, give a look toward the Ahrend's grips through www.pickagrip.com, or www.brownells.com.

Kahr carrier
December 31, 2002, 10:42 AM
I second the Hogues;)

ruger357
December 31, 2002, 10:49 AM
Ditto on Hogue.

Gila Jorge
December 31, 2002, 01:36 PM
I use Hogues on both my 686 and my 629 and would not switch to anything else. recoil dampening and control are my main factors.

JoeHatley
December 31, 2002, 07:50 PM
You can't do better than Hogues. I've got a baker's dozen S&W revolvers, and everyone wears Hogues.

Joe

riverdog
December 31, 2002, 08:49 PM
I found some very nice "Badger" rosewood grips for my 586 at the latest gunshow. Very comfortable fit, solid and they look great.

Poohgyrr
January 1, 2003, 09:27 PM
I really prefered Hogue pau ferro's on my old 4" 686, they were perfect. I'm not quite as happy with rubber Hogue's on another 4" mid frame .357....

ms1200
January 1, 2003, 09:45 PM
i really like the wood hogues. i have them on my 686 and 25-5 s&w. they look great and the guns handle nice with them.

cmsgt
January 4, 2003, 02:13 AM
I checked out the site for Badger grips, and they look nice. Went to a gun shop; people said they heard of them, but does not have them in stock. RDog: how are they for size? I don't want a large handfull of wood; have medium size hands -- never could palm a basketball, and as I said above, the Pachmyr look great and are functional, but I just don't feel they're the best fit for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "recommended grip for S&W 686+" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!