Anyone else's lifestyle NOT mesh well with carrying?

PDA

zahc
January 30, 2005, 09:14 PM
I'm all for CC and all. I'd do it occasionally, (as it is now, despite being old enough to live on my own I cannot even posess a handgun in this wonderful state) but I cannot see myself ever carrying on a regular basis.

I mean if I did, not only would it be impossible to keep the gun concealed but I also realize that I would end up getting hurt falling on it or end up breaking it. I can't imagine attempting to live with a chunk of metal and plastic strapped to my hip. I would be taking it off and on so much it would be pointless. I don't even carry my leatherman because it's too heavy.

I can see myself carrying maybe at work or during certain times but there is just no way I could ever CC every day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else's lifestyle NOT mesh well with carrying?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Amish_Bill
January 30, 2005, 10:14 PM
If you think you're leatherman is too heavy to leave on your belt, you're not cut out for carrying a gun there.

... or do you wear those flimsy little dress belts that will droop between the loops if they're not snug enough? Rule #1 of carrying things on your belt is to have a real belt.

zahc
January 30, 2005, 10:35 PM
I don't wear anything on my belt.

MICHAEL T
January 30, 2005, 10:41 PM
How would you fall on it and break it and why couldn't you keep it concealed I can't belive you think a leatherman is to heavy. Can you fill in those blanks?

Dot_mdb
January 30, 2005, 10:43 PM
If you don't want to carry, that is a personal decision that you make for yourself. Some people never carry and some people only carry occasionally. I don't think that the weight of the gun or the size has anything to do with your decision. People carry all types of stuff, wallets, keys, pictures, cosmetics, watches etc. Have you ever picked up a woman's handbag and felt how much that weighs? So if you are not comfortable with carrying or don't have the need to carry a weapon, that is fine, but don't blame it on the weight of the weapon or the difficulty in concealing it.

Bill

zahc
January 30, 2005, 10:50 PM
How would you fall on it and break it and why couldn't you keep it concealed I can't belive you think a leatherman is to heavy. Can you fill in those blanks?

I lead a very active lifestyle that includes running and cycling at random points in the day. I would seriously not want to ride strapped. Also my summer job is on the lake where you plan to get wet on any given day.

I constantly carry a spyderco clipped in my pocket and a dragonfly in my waistband.

I do indeed think a leatherman classic is too heavy, to wear and run/jump/ride/swim if necessary.

I don't think that the weight of the gun or the size has anything to do with your decision.

It has everything to do with it, it's the only thing that would stop me.

carebear
January 30, 2005, 11:00 PM
Have you actually tried?

I can carry my Taurus .38 titanium (at 15 ounces more or less weightless) in almost any loose pocket, it (like most firearms) is more or less weather and water "proof" (need to clean it regularly of course) and can be slipped into a small fanny pack if a pocket isn't available.

I carried a personal .45 concealed (in violation of reg's) during most of my Marine Corps career when in the field. Between jumping, rappelling, patrolling and water ops, that was about as rough as any lifestyle I've ever heard of. Never broke the gun or hurt myself. YMMV.

There's lots of folks who have similar sounding jobs/lifestyles to yours that carry daily with no problem.

If you have decided you can't, you probably won't. if you decide you might, you can typically find a way that works for you.

The technology is really the least of the problem, it is mostly mindset.

But of course it's your choice in the end.

Kaylee
January 30, 2005, 11:08 PM
with guns like the little Kel-Tec .32 on the market, weight is not an excuse for not carrying some matter of firearm, should you desire to do so in the first place.

That said, I don't carry as often as I used to... wardrobe (and for a while, really tight cash) had more to do with that than weight. Hrmm.. I've *got* to look into those belly band things at some point. :)

-K

MICHAEL T
January 30, 2005, 11:12 PM
Sounds like a ready made job for the Keltec at 10oz ? or a light weight revolver.
If you fall off your bike that much where you got to worry about hurting yourself or a pistol ,maybe you should walk :D
Do you carry a cell phone weights about as much as a small pistol. If so how many of them have you broke?

zahc
January 30, 2005, 11:25 PM
If you fall off your bike that much where you got to worry about hurting yourself or a pistol ,maybe you should walk

indeed. It does however suck to have metal things strapped to yourself to fall on.

Do you carry a cell phone

not any more

how many of them have you broke?

Cyanide_357
January 30, 2005, 11:32 PM
May I ask what you mean, that given your state (OH, where I reside also), you can't possess a handgun...? I'm 20, and I have 6. If you are 18, you can possess a handgun; you just can't buy one from an FFL. Given that until you are 21, they will either have to be gifted or a person to person transfer/purchase.

Cyanide

zahc
January 30, 2005, 11:35 PM
It has been my understanding that a person under 21 cannot be in unsupervised possession of a handgun in Ohio. In fact I remember a thread about a guy that got busted for possesion a while back.

just to be clear, I only said it was not legal ;)

from packing.org

In addition, no person shall sell any firearm to anyone under 18 years of age, or any handgun to anyone under 21 years of age. Section 2923.21(A)(1), (2). Furnishing (but not selling) a firearm to such a person is permissible for lawful hunting, sporting or educational purposes if that person is under the supervision or control of a responsible adult.

Where 'adult' apparently doesn't count 20 year olds. :barf:

countertop
January 30, 2005, 11:39 PM
I work in DC, thats the only thing that keeps me from carrying all the time. That might change real soon though, as it looks good that I'll land a job with DOJ and with that comes the opportunity to be deputized.

As for the original poster - I'd say he needs to get a better belt and find himself a nice leather holster.

entropy
January 30, 2005, 11:43 PM
A fanny pack would be an option for carry, and as Kaylee pointed out, A Kel-Tec .32, .380 or even the P-11 9mm, would be comforatble in it. If you are training, consider it extra drag for training, kinda like when male swimmers grow body hair out for training, then shave it off for competition. Where there is a will, there's a way. Keep looking; a nudist has a legitimite lifestyle vs CCW gripe. Yours seem more like concerns about convenience. ;)

El Rojo
January 31, 2005, 12:06 AM
My lifestyle does keep me from carrying as much as I would like. I used to work in a federal prison. No guns on site, period. So I couldn't carry on the way to work and most certainly not at work.

Now I work at a public high school. I might be able to lawfully carry to and from the school, but I don't think it would be good for job security to have one on campus.

So I can't carry mainly because of dumb rules more than a physical sense of the activity. I have been packing a Glock 27 around just about everywhere other than work for the last 5 years. Rarely is it ever a problem. Once you find a comfortable way to carry, it becomes second nature. It is just like having a wallet. It is always there and when it isn't you notice.

roscoe
January 31, 2005, 12:25 AM
Kel Tec P32 or P3AT. They fit anywhere. I have even clipped my P32 to my running shorts for runs of up to 6 miles and it never bothers me, and no one sees it.

Don't worry about the caliber thing - I took out a Cape Buffalo at 50 yards with my P32.

sm
January 31, 2005, 12:42 AM
NO.

Understand I have some personal beliefs , some may not agree. Understand I was raised in a certain time...I was born in '55.

I made that personal decison of "carrying" at a young age.Keeping one handy at a young age. We didn't have permisson papers back then either. So as a kid , a natural thing for me to carry my gun wherever I went, whenever I could. I had in the car as a wee kid when mom would take us kids to the country, to the park, even to the grocery store - "just what you did". I was not even of teenage years mind you.

Good Belt and holster have always been the key. Cooper phrased it as "comforting not comfortable".

This day and age , I am an older returning college student. Our state says no CCW on Campus. I don't park on Campus. Adapt, Overcome and Improvise...something else I was raised with...

My point is , if there is a will - there is a way. We have so many more choices of firearms and holsters than when I was growing up. Folks back when I was raised managed to carry ...granted some of the ideas today are the same of old.

There is other stuff besides my responsibilty to self as to why I carry and do as I do.

A Declaration of Civil Disobedience

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34976&highlight=civil+disobedience

It is a personal decison that each individual must make for themselves. Once made - there should be no faltering or turning back.

landon74
January 31, 2005, 12:51 AM
Maybe you haven't found the correct carry piece yet..... My always gun is a scandium S&W, it's either in a pocket or IWB. It weighs 1 pound loaded, you can just about forget that it's on you.....

As for my lifestyle not meshing with CCW, I am responsible for the safety and well-being of my family at all times, so I found the carry piece and rigs that allow me to comfortably carry all the time.

duck hunt
January 31, 2005, 01:06 AM
I can sympathize. As a 5'2 female, carrying concealed isn't as easy for me as it is for my husband. When I CCW, I can't wear clothes as fitted or as revealing as I might if I weren't carrying. (For the record, I carry a PA-63 and I have an inside-the-waist holster, but I can't wear it without wearing a loose/long enough top to cover the telltale lump). I'm not comfortable with a smaller gun, and I'm not comfortable carrying off the body, in a purse or such, so when I wear clothes I can't conceal in, I just don't carry.

Also couldn't carry when I taught. Obviously couldn't carry when I belly danced. Life happens.

HungSquirrel
January 31, 2005, 01:15 AM
I've started carrying my 1911 unloaded IWB around the house to get a feel for it. The 1911 is by no means a small or light gun, but it has gotten to the point where I forget it's there.

There are holsters and concealment devises for many sporting/athletic activities. There's the good ol' fashioned fanny pack and many others. Aren't there small bags that strap to the frame of a bicycle that are large enough to conceal a weapon? I know there are devices designed to be worn over a jogger's chest that are designed to holster weapons in a convenient cross-draw position. It would still hurt if you fell over forward. Just watch where you're going and hope you don't fall! :D

Dave R
January 31, 2005, 11:42 AM
A couple of observations...

As other have pointed out, if you can carry a wallet, you can carry a mouse gun like a P-32 or a P-3AT or equivalent. In a good pocket holster, its about the size, shape and weight of a wallet.

Most people I know who carry regularly DID have to change their lifestyle or wardrobe to accommodate full-time carry. Better holster, better belt, different clothes. They dress to carry.

Last, yes, I firmly believe that some people's lifestyle does not mesh with carrying. For example, people who drink shouldn't carry, just like they shouldn't drive. (Hmmmm, should you party with a 'designated carry-er?')

Its an individual decision whether to carry, how often, and how far you're willing to alter your lifestyle or wardrobe to carry.

280PLUS
January 31, 2005, 12:07 PM
.32 H&R Mag, hammerless, 6 shots, 14 oz. loaded in a loose pocket or fanny pack. I forget it's there and noone has spotted it yet.

TheDutchman
January 31, 2005, 12:16 PM
I drink at bars too much to carry

phoglund
January 31, 2005, 12:23 PM
There is indeed one lifestyle which precludes concealed carry at all times...the lifestyle of the Nudist! :neener:

priv8ter
January 31, 2005, 12:31 PM
I guess I can answer yes to this question. As a federal employee, I work on a Military Base, and carry is a no-no.

So, if you figure than about 75% of my free-time is spent doing erands on the way home from work, you could say my lifestyle doesn't mesh well.

Even when I'm not at work..I never feel comfortable carrying. I just never get used to the feel of the gun, and I am constantly fighting the urge to adjust things, even though my wife assures me I am not printing.

This has caused me to drop all the way down to a Taurus 731 UL to find a gun I am comfortable carrying. I would love to be one of these guys that can carry a full-size 1911 and three spare mags, but I just can't pull it off.

greg

jefnvk
January 31, 2005, 12:36 PM
Yes.

In addition to age factor, it would just be too much of a pain at college. Not impossible, mind you, but a pain.

ScottsGT
January 31, 2005, 12:36 PM
Some lifestyles, I agreee, won't allow. Such as mine.
For one, I work at a University. No carrying here.
#2, I drive a convertible. I cannot safely lock the car, so I don't for fear of getting the top cut. Not that they are going to "sense" a gun in a parked car, but around campus cars get broke into for no reason at all. So I will not leave a hand gun in the car, or trunk since you just have to open the glovebox to pop the trunk.
#3, I have 4 kids, and the two youngest are always climbing on me, sticking their hands in my pockets, hanging off my belt, etc. I just don't want to have a handgun on me with them at this age. Now the teenagers won't even touch me unless they have to in order to steal my wallet.
#4, I too spend too much time drinking also! Really, whenever we go out for dinner, they serve alcohol, I buy alcohol. Not much, mind you, just a 32oz. draft with dinner. :D Can't carry in establishments that serve it, so I don't carry it.
The times I have carried? When the wife had a dead battery at 12a.m.
Late evening runs grocery shopping alone, whenever I know I'm not going to a restaurant that serves, gun buybacks, out of town trips with my friends for a weekend getaway (comes off when the tops pop though!)
In the 4 years I have had a license, I have carried less than 15 times though. It is just comforting to know that I can legally, if I want to.

Strings
January 31, 2005, 01:39 PM
Hmm... during the summer, I do quite a bit of rollerblading. I've not only run the town on blades while carrying my .45 IWB, or a Colt Mustang in a fanny pack. I've taken some fairly serious falls while doing so: never had a problem...

Gordon Fink
January 31, 2005, 03:58 PM
Guys, he’s still young. His opinion (and lifestyle) may change in a few years. When I was that age, even owning a firearm wasn’t a priority for me. The responsibilities of marriage and impending fatherhood have a funny way of changing that though.…

~G. Fink

spacemanspiff
January 31, 2005, 04:37 PM
when i was a teenager i couldnt possibly imagine having to wear slacks or dress pants every day.
i also couldnt fathom wearing a belt.

later, when i started carrying, i couldnt imagine ever getting used to the extra weight on my waist. i also thought i would never stop slamming it into walls or doorframes.

once you find a good belt and a comfortable well made holster, you will forget you even have a gun concealed. i know i forget its there.

bratch
January 31, 2005, 04:49 PM
Like others have said with the variety of LW guns out there something is bound to work. If are worried about damage look at the KTs at $200 its only a mildly painful loss.

That said. I'm 21 and have had my liscense a couple weeks. I carry a fullsize 1911 IWB and a PM9 all over the place. I have totally forgotten about the 1911 being there in a couple weeks. It really is all about belt and holsters.

sumpnz
January 31, 2005, 09:07 PM
There is indeed one lifestyle which precludes concealed carry at all times...the lifestyle of the Nudist! Yeah but if you're fat enough you can use duct tape to hold it in a roll of fat for concealment.

artherd
January 31, 2005, 09:56 PM
I lead a very active lifestyle that includes running and cycling at random points in the day. I would seriously not want to ride strapped. Also my summer job is on the lake where you plan to get wet on any given day.

No biggie on the swimming, just carry a Glock! ;)

jmilliron
January 31, 2005, 10:22 PM
I haven't bothered getting a CCW or permit because:

1) Can't carry at work.
2) Not comfortable keeping a gun in my Jeep with soft-top and flimsy plastic compartments.
3) Live in an extremely low crime area.

One of these days I’ll get around to it.

-jason m

OH25shooter
February 1, 2005, 08:59 AM
zahc,

Don't worry. If you don't feel comfortable with a carry gun, then don't carry. You're not alone. I just recently got my CCW permit and really don't plan on carrying a gun. Probably because I carried one for 25 years on the PD. I remember times in plain clothes, on hot summer days, I didn't carry one. Some people live and breath guns, and that's fine. No one will think less of you because you don't walk around with a gun. In fact, if you don't feel 100% comfortable with a firearm, maybe you shouldn't carry one. A permit just allows one by law to legally carry a concealed weapon. I'll bet 75% of the permit holders do not carry a gun.

FPrice
February 1, 2005, 09:08 AM
The way I see it is thast this is an option which you can exercise or not as you see fit. If you want/need to carry on a daily basis and can do so in a safe and legal manner, then you should be allowed to do so. Likewise if you don't want to on a regular basis then that is your decision. Some people can carry on a regular basis while others cannot or do not want to. It should be a personal choice exercised properly by each.

I personally want the ability to carry when I see fit and do. I have chosen clothing and firearms to allow me to do this. I try not to obsess about it but rather think about it in a rational manner.

You need to make the decision for yourself within your personal framework.

Stickjockey
February 1, 2005, 09:26 AM
The only part of my life that precludes me from carrying is my job. I work on the "other side of the checkpoint" at a major airport. What with it being a federal felony and all, I just don't want to have to deal with the hassle.

As for the nudist thing, I suggest reading this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=19897). :evil:

hso
February 1, 2005, 10:08 AM
Anyone that works inside a security area will have trouble carrying a firearm. It's not a question of ignoring the rules when there are perimeter monitors, detector archways and you are subject to search at any time.

MrAcheson
February 1, 2005, 10:22 AM
I guess I can answer yes to this question. As a federal employee, I work on a Military Base, and carry is a no-no.

So, if you figure than about 75% of my free-time is spent doing erands on the way home from work, you could say my lifestyle doesn't mesh well.Ditto. I can't even keep a gun in my car, because I park in a secure lot. I also live in a college town and my state forbids carry near any type of school or university building, government building, or stadium.

Wonder why I'm in no hurry to get a permit...

TonyB
February 1, 2005, 11:22 AM
The only change I had to make in lifestyle when I started carrying was to tighten my belt,so my pants didn't fall down.....I always wore loose shirts(I'm a fat guy).I carry an sp101,not the lightest gun in the world,but you do get used to it..I carry everywhere it's legal to do so....if you really want to carry you'll make adjustments..but as others have said,if YOU'RE not comfortable,don't do it....just hope you never need it and don't have it.. ;)

happy old sailor
February 1, 2005, 12:32 PM
Kaylee, if you get a "belly band" holster, get a return policy with it. i got one a few years ago and did not like it for doodley. came with an ankle band too. the waist unit was usable other than me hating it. the ankle holster was unusable for my little G26. did not stay in position. just wore it around the house, never went to town. if i knew where that stupid thing was, i would send it to you to try and pass on. yes, i have larger trousers from when i was younger and weightier. i took the larger trousers and went to IWB. so far, so good. luck in your quest.

Havegunjoe
February 1, 2005, 05:14 PM
Two things you need to do I think is carry the lightest weight gun you can that will give you the firepower you desire. I carry a Kahr Arms P9 for example in 9mm. Second you will need to invest in several different holsters to accomodate differences in dress. I have 4 holsters for everything from shorts and tee shirts to suites. You have to be willing to put a little effor and money into this to make it successful.

WhiteKnight
February 1, 2005, 05:33 PM
it being a federal felony and all, I just don't want to have to deal with the hassle.

:D

Anything but the hassle! ;)

brian roberts
February 1, 2005, 05:45 PM
jus jammit in the speed-os(after the styptic is applied to stop the bleedin' from leg-shavin') there should enough resistance ta' keepit from fallin' out!! EH?? :evil:

cidirkona
February 1, 2005, 06:21 PM
I work in a medical office (no weapons), go to school at the university (no 'weapons') and have a little night job at a bar (no firearms (AZ)). A folding utility knife isn't a weapon. :D

As far as weight goes I-- I'm a 150lb 5'9" "scrawny" guy. I carried a 1911 about 6 months, then the glock 27 about a year, and now, a KelTec p3-AT. I have to be careful of the KelTec -- not for falling on it or anything, but to remember that I'm carrying it and it needs to go in the safe before I leave. It's pretty easy to forget his presence (my glock feels HEAVY now!).

If you don't want to carry a firearm -- don't. Most universities, most hospitals, most whatever - don't mind a small, light pocketknife clipped inside your pocket. Walmart carries quite a few small, cheap, spring assisted pocketknives I would consider carryable. My utility knife was $9.99 at Home Depot.

-Colin

marklbucla
February 1, 2005, 08:04 PM
Now I work at a public high school. I might be able to lawfully carry to and from the school, but I don't think it would be good for job security to have one on campus.

I just reread the laws a couple of days ago, but I think we're allowed to pack on campus as well. Double check me on that though. I teach at a private school for now, if that makes any difference at all.

The reason I don't carry all the time is because I've got a bunch of screaming brats in the classroom staring at me. I think I might be able to get away with it, but you never know. If someone sees a slight lump on my back, they'll call attention to it- anything to get out of learning math. I'd also never be able to adjust it in front of the room. That would be a dead give away.

Andrew Rothman
February 1, 2005, 09:27 PM
when I wear clothes I can't conceal in, I just don't carry.

When I carry, I wear clothes that I can conceal in.

I dunno. I guess I just see the carrying as a little more important than fashion.

And a SmartCarry and a small gun works with all but the most painted-on styles.

To each her own, I guess.

duck hunt
February 1, 2005, 09:37 PM
To each her own, I guess.

It's what makes America swell, innit? :cool:

I guess I should have added that if I am going out by myself at night, or downtown or some such place where I feel carrying is imperative, I do wear clothes in which I can CCW. In other words, it's the carrying that influences the fashion and not vice versa. If I am doing public author appearances or other "dressy" stuff where I'm not comfortable dressing like a frump, I usually have my large husband and his large Glock with me anyway.

carpettbaggerr
February 1, 2005, 10:23 PM
A folding utility knife isn't a weapon. Well, neither is a KelTec p3-AT. :)

Strings
February 1, 2005, 10:50 PM
See Duck Hunt... there's a trick there. Get your husband to carry a pair of 1911s, and all you need to do is carry a couple reloads. If things go south while you're doing the "dressy" thing, he can toss you one of the pieces he's carrying, and you're good to go. Kinda the ultimate on off-body carry... :evil:

Of course, then there's this: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?ProductID=2638&CatalogID=374

Good for women in dresses, or men for DEEP cover backup (or primary in kilt)...

Wingshooter
February 1, 2005, 11:12 PM
Couple of things...

There is indeed one lifestyle which precludes concealed carry at all times...the lifestyle of the Nudist!

There was a prisoner that smuggled in one of those little .22 lr 5 shot pistols a few years ago. Stuck it up his rectum and they found it during the cavity search. I wish I could remember what state it was in so I could try and link a source. Anyone??? I just remembered, they are made by North American Arms. http://www.naaminis.com/lrifle.html

I would imagine his fast draw would truly be a sight to behold.

:uhoh:

2) Not comfortable keeping a gun in my Jeep with soft-top and flimsy plastic compartments.

You need to look into the Tuffy consoles if that's one of the few things holding you back. When I had my Jeeps I never had the top on and felt comfortable putting my 1911 in them.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/consoles/tj/067.html

Probably as strong, if not stronger than anything a car can offer.

Edited to add manufacturer url

Andrew Rothman
February 1, 2005, 11:13 PM
If I am doing public author appearances or other "dressy" stuff where I'm not comfortable dressing like a frump, I usually have my large husband and his large Glock with me anyway.

Cool!

I do think, however, that there is a lot of territory between "frump" and not carrying.

On the other hand, I am a guy, and typically clueless about fashion. :)

bean357
February 1, 2005, 11:30 PM
I am not allowed to carry a firearm PERIOD at my place of employment or in any vehicle owned by the employer, yet I work closely with and supervise inmates and offenders daily. I may be terminated from my position if I fail to comply with these conditions on firearms. To me, my job is where I sometimes feel most at risk. Thanx so much, Minnesota. Anyone else have this type of scenario?

Kharn
February 1, 2005, 11:38 PM
Even if I could get a permit, I couldnt carry for 10hrs a day when I'm going to, at, and going home from work. I work on an installation where the gate guard asks "Do you have any knives, small arms, explosives, grenades, RPGs, C4, or any other fun stuff in your vehicle?" before he will allow entry. Some day, I'll have the courage (and nothing important to do that day) to ask if passed-out hookers in the trunk count as fun stuff. :evil:

Kharn

entropy
February 3, 2005, 06:21 PM
Mr. duck hunt-Gun Moll! :D

That prisoners' carry method brings a new meaning to, "shove it ..." :eek:

Kharn, your situation reminds me of when I had gate guard duty at Ft. Ord. (Way pre-Sept. 11th). My Sgt. asked me what I'd do if a bunch of terrorists (no doubt in a VW van, a lá 'Back to the Future') stopped at the gate. I answered, "Well, I'd give 'em directions to the Division Commander's office." :D

Gunnutz13
February 4, 2005, 02:56 PM
...Adapt...Improvise...Overcome ! I have a CCW license in Pennsylvania as I believe I'm the only one responsible for my safety and welfare...the police are there to clean up the mess after the fact. If you're not comfortable with concealed carry...don't. But I have no problem with strapping on with the world the way it is today...with great power comes great responsibility. And I tend to be real responsible and less prone to irrational behavior when I'm carrying my piece. If a person cuts me off on the highway and flips me a finger, I'm not going to draw and fire. But if that same person cuts me off, and gets out of his car with a tire iron...it's great having that 45 at my disposal...nuff said ! :evil:

goon
February 4, 2005, 03:12 PM
I can see this point. My current job prohibits me from even carrying a pocketknife (with good reason). I can't even have pocketknife in my vehicle.
For most of my waking hours I simply can't be armed. I have accepted that.

jmilliron
February 4, 2005, 04:22 PM

You need to look into the Tuffy consoles if that's one of the few things holding you back. When I had my Jeeps I never had the top on and felt comfortable putting my 1911 in them.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/consoles/tj/067.html

Probably as strong, if not stronger than anything a car can offer.

Can you fit a full size 1911 in the center console?

-jason m

atek3
September 7, 2005, 01:47 AM
i live in the PRK carry isn't an option, but even if it were, I'd have to change certain things about my dress and style. I motorcycle exclusively, and guns don't conceal well under an aerostich/leathers.

atek3

biere
September 7, 2005, 09:57 PM
The strategies and tactics section is most likely where ccw specific posts hide on this site, I don't know because I have not gotten around to reading that section yet and it has been a while since I posted here on a regular basis.

Anyway, for riding your bicycle I recomend some of the posts about riding a motorcycle since I seem to recall some posts about how to fall and protect yourself and this leads to certain ways you carry your gun and certain ways you avoid. The small of the back is one many folks avoid because a hit to the gun equals a blow to your spine.

Other than that, decide what you want to do and what you are comfortable with doing.

If you choose to carry, I suspect you can alter how you dress to allow you to carry.

gbran
September 7, 2005, 10:08 PM
I don't have any problem carrying almost 24/7. Unfortunately, my work often takes me to gov't and military bases, where I can't carry. Other than that, I carry nearly everywhere.

grimjaw
September 7, 2005, 10:10 PM
My lifestyle only prevents me from carrying because of the places I work, not the type of work. I am in federal government facilities constantly, and sometimes I don't even get to carry my cell phone, much less a gun.

jmm

zahc
September 7, 2005, 10:45 PM
WOW this thread is like eleventy billion years old.

OH is still a pointless state for concealed carry, and I even stopped carrying my keys riding with me because I got tired of there being a bruise on my thigh from them.

Due to OH CC laws, It would be impossible for me to carry at work, delivering pizza, which is by far the time I should be carrying the most.

JamisJockey
September 7, 2005, 11:01 PM
I work for the FAA in a restricted location. Great job, great pay. My supervisors tolerate my Leatherman because I've used it so many times to help fix stuff for them on the spot, rather than waiting for maintenece (little stuff that just needs a screw tightened, or something cut).
My primary hobby is cycling. I don't mean pedaling a $150 Schwinn for 20 minutes. I mean 200 miles a week, 2-3 hour rides, and amateur racing. The clothes don't exactly conceal a firearm well.
Otherwise, I carry alot. Hell, I was at the hospital with my wife having our baby today and I was carrying.

fjolnirsson
September 7, 2005, 11:17 PM
I carry virtually all the time. Since I got my CHL, there are only a few times I haven't carried. Those were at work, until I figured out a way to effectively conceal while doing my job.
I figure, the one time I don't have a gun is when I'll need one.

crewsr
September 8, 2005, 12:14 AM
Its not a lifestyle.....its a mindset...................think YODA

Ryder
September 8, 2005, 12:45 AM
Zahc, you're like I was when I was at your age. Skateboarding, biking, surfing, skiing... I can't even remember all the radical things I did on a regular basis. I was the mountain dew commercial before they had mountain dew. Anyway, as you age your old sports injuries come back to haunt you. Give it 15-20 years until it starts to be noticable. Another 10 years after that and your lifestyle transition will be complete. Then you too can carry without it being an inconvenience. :D

In the mean time there is no law that says you have to be afraid to die young. Enjoy it while you can.

David W. Gay
September 8, 2005, 12:56 AM
I ride a lot, and ALWAYS carry some means of defense (in addition to my hands, of course). I used to carry a Kel-tec P-32, but I don't have that anymore. When I can afford one, I'll get another one. It's only about 8oz LOADED, but that is nothing compared to the 3 quarts of water I have to carry on each ride (Phoenix, 100+ degrees all the darn time!) Add a couple of ounces for a simple holster to keep it dry. And if you have a problem carrying keys in you shorts leg, don't carry them there, that's what jersey pockets are for. Or a seat pouch...

In anycase, cycling is no reason not to carry. Some of your other activities might be, and that is your choice of life. But once you get used to carrying, you might find yourself not understanding how you got by without it.

It is a lifestyle- molded by a mindset.

"There is no try. Do, or do not"

Carry on!

pax
September 8, 2005, 01:04 AM
Atek3 ~

If & when the political climate changes, you can easily conceal while motorcycling if you get yourself a Coronado vest. Made of black leather, it looks very appropriate with riding leathers and no one will ever look twice at a biker wearing it.

pax

Ryder
September 8, 2005, 01:44 AM
cycling is no reason not to carry

Depends on your definition of cycling. My wheels never spent a whole lot of time on the ground. Would you wear a concealed pistol while performing acrobatics on a trampoline? Same difference.

Geno
September 8, 2005, 06:39 AM
I've been thinking quite seriously of seeking exempt status. My wife and I both work in pistol-free employment (though I know for fact some of my grad. students DO carry). It's a hassle to load/unload, lock-up and separate ammo. & pistol. Then, of course there is the worry of it being stolen. There are times that between dropping my wife, daughter and then going to work myself, if I were (and have had to) enter each building, I had to do this process three times in less than 20 minutes. It's nuts. I think we should reconsider some of our exempt locations. After all, we are dealing with citizens (even disregarding Constitutional considerations) who have lived extraordinary lives.

If you choose to carry, it will be terribly uncomfortable for the first few weeks. It just won't feel normal, even the lightest firearms are noticeable, but for me, the difference is the comfort of knowing that I can defend myself until the police arrive to take over.

Doc2005

rritter
September 8, 2005, 05:04 PM
Heck, lots of nudists wear belly bags or butt packs. That's one way to conceal when you're not otherwise dressed. Few would recommend the in-rectum carry, though. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else's lifestyle NOT mesh well with carrying?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!