(CA) Man Shoots Intruder In Self Defense

PDA

Drizzt
March 6, 2003, 06:45 PM
Man Shoots Intruder In Self Defense

Pipe-Wielding Suspect In Critical Condition

March 5, 2003

SACRAMENTO COUNTY -- A man suspected of a home invasion attack in Sacramento County is in critical condition at the U.C. Davis Medical Center after his intended victim shot him.

Detectives say 25 year old David Jeremy Stewart knocked on the door wearing a ski mask and armed with a pipe.

When 22 year old Chad Lewis answered his door, detectives say Stewart started swinging. The vicious fight ended up in the bedroom, where Lewis kept a gun.

"The suspect at one point had control of it... got the handgun back in control and shot the suspect one time in the face or in the forehead," said Sacramento Sheriff Sargeant Lou Fatur.

Lewis' roommate called 9-1-1 during the attack, but was helpless because he is recovering from knee surgery. He was released from the hospital after being treated for head wounds.

"We never encourage citizens to meet violence with other vioence but if you have to defend yourself," said Fatur. "In this case it was a pretty violent attack."

The sheriff's department says at least intially there is no clear cut motive for the attack. There was no cash, exspensive jewelry, or drugs in the house.

But police say home invasions are rarely random acts. The victims are usually targeted, and not necessarily for robbery. "You can have a personal contact with somebody and have a personal vendetta," said Fatur. "It could be a relationship problem, it could run the whole gamut... of why they would attack somebody that violently."

Detectives will have to do some more digging to figure out why Stewart came to that particular home.

If you enjoyed reading about "(CA) Man Shoots Intruder In Self Defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
March 6, 2003, 06:50 PM
Detectives will have to do some more digging to figure out why Stewart came to that particular home.Why? That's the prosecutor's job.... :rolleyes:

Shalako
March 6, 2003, 06:55 PM
Sacramentans fighting back!! Yessss!

Drizzt
March 6, 2003, 07:03 PM
Victim shoots suspect during south Sacramento home invasion scuffle

Bee Metro Staff
Published 10:15 a.m. PST Wednesday, March 5, 2003

A lone assailant wearing a ski mask was in critical condition early Wednesday after being shot by a victim of a possible home invasion robbery Tuesday night in south Sacramento County.
At 9:45 p.m., sheriff's deputies responded to the 8800 block of Caselman Road. According to the victim, he answered a knock at the front door and was immediately attacked by the suspect.

The victim, identified as Chad Lewis, 22, was hit in the upper body and head with the metal pipe.

According to sheriff's officials, a roommate of the victim heard the commotion and saw the struggle, but could not intervene due to recent knee surgery. He called 911 and retrieved a rifle fearing that his roommate would be killed.

The victim was able to break free of the suspect and retrieve a handgun from his bedroom, but the suspect continued a relentless attack and a struggle ensued over the handgun.

The victim was able to regain control of the handgun and he fired one round into the suspect's head. The suspect was incapacitated and was held down until officers arrived.

The suspect has not been identified. Both victim and suspect were transported to the UC Davis Medical Center for treatment. The victim was considered in serious condition as he left the scene and the suspect was very critical with a gunshot wound to the head.

Shalako
March 6, 2003, 07:05 PM
Perp: "But, but, I thought you were unarmed......"

Armed victim: "I guess not, pal. Oops, is that a little bit of your brain on my wall, so sorry. Golly gee...."

Tasteless, I know, but predators deserve nothing less.

schmo
March 6, 2003, 07:55 PM
"We never encourage citizens to meet violence with other vioence" (sic)

but I guess that's nature

sigh

yy
March 6, 2003, 08:15 PM
but Schmo, (not to single you out, your sentiment is common here)

as much as that lack of encouragement is lame, the police spokesmen cannot give encouragement for fear of liability. And the rewards of such encouragement does not outweigh the punishment of liability when (not if) someone commits a stupid act and hold the spokesmen's department liable.

How about let's just take it as a given that the spokesmen will not say the truth, and the gun-fearing report bias will tout such lack of encouragement as further proof that their fear is somehow justified.

we're preaching to the choir here when we say self defense is a personal responsibility.

Pendragon
March 6, 2003, 08:15 PM
Those who are determind to live do not need "encouragement".

Standing Wolf
March 6, 2003, 10:00 PM
Detectives will have to do some more digging to figure out why Stewart came to that particular home.

I'd say the criminal's undertaking firm needs to do the digging.

P95Carry
March 6, 2003, 10:25 PM
Here's another case where full time carry (in the home at least) could have made the situation much briefer!! Not so easy to go fetch the peice when bein slammed by a blunt object!

In fact, even a quick presentation early on coulda defuzed or stopped things anyways. Ya just never know ...................

Preacherman
March 6, 2003, 10:42 PM
Here's another case where full time carry (in the home at least) could have made the situation much briefer!! Amen, brother! (At least I assume you're a brother... if you're a sister, double Amen!!! :D ) I've given several unexpected (but harmless) visitors a bit of a shock when I've opened the door while carrying - but they either get used to it, or don't come in!

Also - rule no. 269... Don't bring a pipe to a gunfight! :D

P95Carry
March 6, 2003, 11:21 PM
Yep Preacherman .... ''Brother'' is right ...... amen!:)

Drjones
March 7, 2003, 01:29 PM
"We never encourage citizens to meet violence with other vioence but if you have to defend yourself," said Fatur.
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

So help me GOD, if I ever use my weapon to save my life, I will be grabbing every reporter around to tell them how my life was saved by my gun!!!!

:banghead:

mussi
March 7, 2003, 04:33 PM
Those who live with the sword die by the sword.

Drjones
March 7, 2003, 04:36 PM
Um, actually, isn't it supposed to be:

"Those who do not live by the sword can still die by it."

:confused:

Skunkabilly
March 7, 2003, 04:50 PM
Who will be paying the medical bills for the piped-wielding clown?

Hope for a speedy recovery for the two victims.

I prefer talking through the door.

Drjones
March 7, 2003, 06:00 PM
Call me paranoid, but not only do I *ALWAYS* verify the identity of visitors before opening my door (even when expecting someone), but I'm usually armed when answering the door too.

So this guy either:

a) Wrecklessly threw open the door to an unexpected guest

b) Knowingly opened the door to a guy wearing a ski mask and holding a pipe.

Something about survival of the fittest comes to mind..... :rolleyes:

BTW: I only read of one victim: The homeowner.

Did I misread?

Please don't tell me you're calling the intruder a "victim"!!!

:barf:

riverdog
March 7, 2003, 06:30 PM
The guy who opened the door had a roommate who was recovering from knee surgery. He was apparently also wacked with the pipe.

Stuff like this makes me check my 870, 1911 & 629.

Skunkabilly
March 7, 2003, 08:11 PM
DrJones,

I actually don't look thru the peephole. All I need is for someone to give the door a good whack when they see black through the hole.

I still havent gotten that tactical peephole yet... :o

TallPine
March 7, 2003, 08:26 PM
Those who live with the sword die by the sword.

Those who live by the pipe shall die by the gun. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "(CA) Man Shoots Intruder In Self Defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!