Ok, so who's voting for Kinky?

PDA

MacPelto
February 3, 2005, 08:33 PM
Ok, so who's gonna vote for Kinky Friedman? I don't know his particular views on gun control, but he says he's in favor of the 'de-wussification of Texas', which sounds like a good start!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&ncid=638&e=6&u=/nm/20050203/en_nm/politics_kinkyfriedman_dc

Mac

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok, so who's voting for Kinky?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam
February 3, 2005, 09:14 PM
I'll vote for the Kinkster any day.
Him and 'Ol Ben Lucas and the Waitrett

Sam

Rich K
February 3, 2005, 09:51 PM
He'd get my vote in a heartbeat.

The_Antibubba
February 4, 2005, 12:18 AM
You know, if he took it halfway seriously he'd be a shoo-in.

ACP230
February 4, 2005, 12:45 PM
Is he going to get his band, "The Texas Jewboys" back together for the campaign?
Will they play his old tune, Get Your Biscuits In The Oven, And Your Buns In The Bed ?

He might be dragging a little baggage.

TexasRifleman
February 4, 2005, 02:14 PM
After touring with the Grateful Dead, I don't see how he could avoid just a little baggage. Heck I'd vote for him.

Our current gov is sort of invisible anyway for the most part. Haven't heard a peep out if him a quite a while.

He's speaking at the TSRA meeting this weekend, if he doesn't rock the house then Kinky might pick up some support then and there :)

c_yeager
February 4, 2005, 02:31 PM
Our current gov is sort of invisible anyway for the most part. Haven't heard a peep out if him a quite a while.

I like governors like that. I wish ours would shut the heck up.

Yanus
February 4, 2005, 04:15 PM
If I were still in Texas, I'd vote for him. There has always been a wild streak in Texans, like a mustang pony, that surfaces every so often. This is a good thing. I hope he wins....

If nothing else, he will scare the urine out of the wimps that infest Austin. :D

Yanus

Preacherman
February 4, 2005, 04:49 PM
If he doesn't win election, how about we send him as special ambassador to Syria or Iran?

:evil:

Drizzt
February 6, 2005, 03:39 AM
Well, with the current crop of wanna-be candidates that are about to start infecting us, I'm starting to think ol' Kinky might not be such a bad choice.

seeker_two
February 6, 2005, 10:56 AM
If Rick Perry or Kay Bailey-Hutchison are the alternatives to voting for Kinky, I'll vote Kinky...

If the Repubs or Dems get smart & put Carol Keeton-Strayhorn on the ballot, I'll prefer to vote for her....

Heck, Kinky wants to put Willie Nelson in charge of the Texas Rangers.....

...(and I sure hope he means the ball team. :eek: )

ahenry
February 6, 2005, 11:06 AM
If the Repubs or Dems get smart & put Carol Keeton-Strayhorn on the ballot, I'll prefer to vote for her....

I’m not a big fan of “One Tough Grandma”. What is it you like about her?

Jeff Timm
February 6, 2005, 12:08 PM
Hummmm maybe he would be the best thing to happen to the Rangers in a long time.

Artist: Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
Song: Beer For My Horses
Album: Toby Keith Greatest Hits 2

Lyrics :

Well a man come on the 6 o’clock news
Said somebody’s been shot, somebody’s been abused
Somebody blew up a building
Somebody stole a car
Somebody got away
Somebody didn’t get too far yeah
They didn’t get too far

Grandpappy told my pappy, back in my day, son
A man had to answer for the wicked that he done
Take all the rope in Texas
Find a tall oak tree, round up all of them bad boys
Hang them high in the street for all the people to see that

Justice is the one thing you should always find
You got to saddle up your boys
You got to draw a hard line
When the gun smoke settles we’ll sing a victory tune
We’ll all meet back at the local saloon
We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces
Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

We got too many gangsters doing dirty deeds
We’ve got too much corruption, and crime in the streets
It’s time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
Send ’em all to their maker and he’ll settle ’em down
You can bet he’ll set ’em down ’cause

Geoff
Who raises his glass against evil forces...or a can of Diet Dr. Pepper anyway. :cool:

Jeff Timm
February 6, 2005, 12:18 PM
Ya' know, if the Libertarian Party of Texas ever wanted to make a splash, endorse Friedman and buy a license for "Beer for my Horses."

Geoff
Who wants every Professional Texican he ever met, who mentioned that Texas could become an independant country, or split into five states, to put their tail on the line and vote Kinky! :D

The Rabbi
February 6, 2005, 01:07 PM
I dunno about that one.

I guess they just aint making Jews like Jesus anymore. :evil:

Art Eatman
February 6, 2005, 01:33 PM
And here's to all those, er, "folks" who are proud to be from El Paso. (Had to watch out for Grammaw. :D )

Art

Smoke
February 6, 2005, 01:34 PM
I'm currently endorsing "Anyone but Perry"

That pretty-boy eliteist has got to be one of the most disappointing Gubners we've had.

As for Kinky.....I read an article about him. He basically has no thoughts on anything. His platform seems to be "Elect me and I'll figure out where I stand as the issues come up"

I'd really like to hear a little more up front.

Fun thought though.

Smoke

junyor
February 6, 2005, 01:48 PM
"I'm insinuating myself into the race against our common enemy: Rick Perry's hair," Kinky Friedman.

I think that's a take off of Molly Ivans' comments about Gov. Perry's perfect hair. On CSPAN, I heard her comment that we should all be very proud of Perry, if only because he had the best hair of any governor. Plus, she calls him Capn' Goodhair in her columns.

I am a little worried, since he was given the nickname "Kinky" in college becuase of his hair. :)

macavada
February 6, 2005, 02:11 PM
I heard him say on Chris Matthews the other day, that if elected he'll immediately demand a re-count.

Sam Adams
February 7, 2005, 05:43 PM
I just looked at his website, and I saw nothing on guns - so I registered and posted the question on his message board. I'll let everyone know when I find out...because I'm not voting for anyone who is anti-gun, no matter how much they dis the establishment Republicrats.

mcmoyer
February 7, 2005, 07:23 PM
I'll take Kinky over Governor Good Hair any day.

:D :D

auschip
February 8, 2005, 09:50 AM
Be interesting to see where he stands on issues, heck any issue. I do know he isn't much for the death penalty, and is big friends with Don Imus.

CentralTexas
February 8, 2005, 10:28 AM
Kinster has a huge animal welfare ranch for abused abandoned dogs etc. If elected he says he would also outlaw cat declawing.
CT

http://www.utopiarescue.com/

LynnKCircle
February 8, 2005, 02:50 PM
Perry has been a do-nothing governor. I can't see letting him sit around Austin for another term. Moreover, despite the ripples about Kay Bailey, Perry is a Bush protege, so I doubt that the Republicans will bounce him.

About the only Democrat I like around here is Gene Green, but I can't see him resigning his Congressional seat to run for Governor.

That leaves Kinky:

You want to know Kinky's stand on gun control? Quotes from the Internet.

"I do not carry a gun myself, so if someone is going to shoot me, they better remember to bring their own weapon."

And that's it. It's better than the waffling we've heard from a lot of other people.

Personally, I think Kinky would be at least as good a governor for Texas as Arnie is for California and Jesse was for Michigan. He's politically incorrect -- what more could you ask for?

rock jock
February 8, 2005, 03:03 PM
I like a little levity in our electoral system as much as the next guy, but I find it amazing that so many people that espouse the Constitution are so willing to throw their vote away just for a joke. I actually like some of theings Kinky says, but I cherish my right to vite too much to make a mockery of it.

ACP230
February 8, 2005, 04:26 PM
Jesse Ventura was governor of Minnesota not Michigan.

He ran as an independent and governed as a liberal democrat (for the most part). I watched from Michigan and was only impressed by his treatment of the press.

Mr. Friedman might also "grow in office."

Kurt S.
February 8, 2005, 04:53 PM
I like a little levity in our electoral system as much as the next guy, but I find it amazing that so many people that espouse the Constitution are so willing to throw their vote away just for a joke. I actually like some of theings Kinky says, but I cherish my right to vite too much to make a mockery of it.

Rock Jock, some might argue that in November of 2004 121,000,000 or so voters threw away their votes on 2 jokes.

I am not amused, however, at the quality of the people that run for public office, and get elected. Lying, power hungry, cronyistic, spineless, obsessed with political correctness, or just incompetent; this is both the major parties.

rock jock
February 8, 2005, 07:02 PM
I am not amused, however, at the quality of the people that run for public office, and get elected. Lying, power hungry, cronyistic, spineless, obsessed with political correctness, or just incompetent; this is both the major parties. Yep, just like everyone else. Anyone who get elected is bound to piss off people.

mcmoyer
February 9, 2005, 02:57 PM

:barf:

LynnKCircle
February 9, 2005, 03:49 PM
How is voting for the person whom you believe would best fulfill the office "making a mockery" out of our right to vote?

In fact, as Norman Thomas noted, even a losing candidate can effect change. He never won a single election (and he would have been disasterous for the country if he had!), but many of the things he was the first to advocate eventually became law: social security, workman's compensation, the eight hour work day and the six day (now five day) work week.

Therefore, I believe that you are voting responsibly even when you vote for a candidate whom you know will lose, but who expresses ideas with which you agree.

(Of course, sometimes I have voted for the candidate whom I found the LEAST disagreeable -- such as when I voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004. In fact, I found little if anything to like about the Republican platform during those campaigns. But the Democratic platform and candidates were far, far worse.)

Art Eatman
February 9, 2005, 05:49 PM
LKC, if Rick Perry's a do-nothing governor, pardon my cynicism, but isn't that the best kind?

Remember that the Texas Constitution has been misinterpreted to mean the Lege meets for 130 days every two years. Originally, it was for two days, every 130 years.

"No man's property is safe while the Legislature is in session."

Back in the days of Bedroom Ben Barnes, I always thought of it as, "The Thousand Clowns Are Back In Town." Come to think of it, the Kinkster could write a song...

:D:D:D

Art

rock jock
February 9, 2005, 06:03 PM
Therefore, I believe that you are voting responsibly even when you vote for a candidate whom you know will lose, but who expresses ideas with which you agree.
Lynn, I agree with that 100%, IF the candidate is serious about their campaign. Kinky is running his as a joke. Voting for a candidate who is running only for laughs is wasting your vote IMO.

duckslayer
February 9, 2005, 07:03 PM
Rick Perry has signed a lot of reciprocal agreements with other states regarding CHLs, and has signed a recognition for New Mexico and maybe a few others. What is so bad about him, other than his hair, which I don't care about one way or another.

boohsdad
February 10, 2005, 05:31 AM
If he likes animals He has my vote

Bigreno
February 15, 2006, 01:01 PM
For all you "I'll vote for him" guys, have you really checked him out?

Here's one stand for you
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_go2063/is_200203/ai_n6826639
Texas Monthly

Unfair Game Whether they're bagging Bambies or killing quail, hunters have always been a mystery to me. Now it's time to put them in my sights.
by Kinky Friedman

SINCE I'VE FORGOTTEN THE FIRST half of my life, it's rather difficult for me to remember my childhood, but I do recall going hunting at the wise old age of seven for the first and last time. One night my four-year-old brother, Roger, and I went coon hunting near Medina with our neighbor Cabbie. Cabbie had an old coon dog named Rip, and Roger suggested that I kiss the dog on the nose. It was the last time in my life I ever took advice from anyone who is younger than I am. Rip bit me ferociously on my nose, causing excessive bleeding and even more excessive tears.

Eventually the hunt proceeded with Cabbie navigating his Jeep down by a stream under a canopy of beautiful cypress trees. It was a dark, moonless night, and Cabbie told us to look up at the tops of the trees and squeeze the trigger when we saw a pair of eyes. This seemingly simple suggestion was complicated somewhat by the fact that God had chosen that night to envelop the Hill Country in a majestic cathedral sky from which stars peripatetically peeped out through the branches at little children, making it impossible to determine whether you were shooting a raccoon or a star. In the end my brother and I each killed a young ringtail, an animal officially recognized as a varmint by the county. We collected a bounty of $1.50 apiece. We did not inquire back then, nor did the county ever tell us, what bounty they might have offered for killing a star.

Now, you might be asking yourself, "Why is this man sifting through the ashes of his childhood for a poignant hunting story now that hunting season is over?" The answer is that hunting season is never really over, nor, apparently, is this column. Deer season may have ended, but that does not mean any of us are safe from an errant bullet fired by an errant bullethead. It only means that hunters have turned their cold sights from harmless Bambies and creatures that fly higher than their dreams to other prey. There is never a moment when a Texan cannot legally curl his finger 'round a happy trigger. Seasons have been decreed for white-tailed deer, mule deer, pronghorn antelope, alligator, dove, turkey, rabbit, javelina, quail, pheasant, squirrel, and yes, Virginia, that most fearsome of all predators in the wild, the lesser prairie chicken.

Today, however, I do not suffer hunters gladly. I realize, of course, that in a deeper sense all of us are hunting for something, and few of us ever find it. If we do, we often find ourselves killing the thing we love. As Oscar Wilde once so aptly described fox hunting: "The unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable." And yet it goes on and on. Dressed in camouflage, the great white hunters sit in family restaurants, shiver in deer blinds, and swap stories sometimes proud, sometimes wistful for the one that got away. As blameless as bullfighters and butterfly collectors, these men for all seasons continue to wage a one-sided war against creation. They hunt only, they say, to cull the vast deer population. They hunt only to teach kids how to hunt. These are the good reasons they give, but they are not necessarily the real reasons. The truth is a much more difficult animal to track. As an honest old redneck once told me about deer: "I just like to put the brakes on 'em."

Yet ours is not the only culture lacking enough culture not to practice such practices. In my own Peace Corps experience in Borneo, I lived for a time among a nomadic tribe of pygmies known as the Punan. One of the delicacies of the Punan is monkey brains, which I ate on a number of occasions. Monkey brains, perhaps not surprisingly, taste quite similar to lesser prairie chicken. The Punan use blowpipes to kill their game, but these seemingly primitive little people are not without their own values of sportsmanship. They do not shoot an animal until it has seen them coming, which gives their prey a fighting chance to flee. This is a foreign concept to those more-civilized Texans who hunt elk from a helicopter.

Fortunately only about 4 percent of all Texans are licensed hunters. This means that 96 percent of us are relegated to the unhappy status of moving targets. Once the hunters shoot the donkey in the farmer's field, they'll shoot our asses next. A great writer named Anonymous once wrote: "The larger the prey, the more corrupt is the soul of the hunter." This may help explain why so many big-game hunters suffer from erectile dysfunction and run the risk of ending up like Ernest Hemingway, who eventually bagged the biggest game of all, himself. If you live in the Hill Country, however, you're probably just proud to have survived another hunting season without getting your head blown off.

This does not necessarily guarantee, of course, that you won't be shot in the buttocks by some bow-hunting nerd like Ted Nugent.

:fire:

...and some other Kinky quotes.
As a general rule of thumb, however, if you thought of New York as a Negro talking to himself and of California as a VCR with nothing to put in, you wouldn't be too far off the mark.
Friedman, Kinky (1993), A case of Lone Star. New York (Wings Books), 379

Every time you see a beautiful woman, just remember, somebody got tired of her.
Friedman, Kinky (1993), When the cat's away. New York (Wings Books), 476

I'd often felt that a man without a woman was like a neck without a pain.
Friedman, Kinky (1993), Greenwich Killing Time. New York (Wings Books), 24

There are worse things in this world than being lonely, but I didn't ever want to find out what they were. I was used to lonely. Lonely fit me like an old hunting vest. I would wear it in good health.
Friedman, Kinky (1993), Greenwich Killing Time. New York (Wings Books), 217

A happy childhood... is the worst possible preparation for life.
Kinky Friedman

I even went so far as to become a Southern Baptist for a while, until I realized that they didn't hold 'em under long enough.
Kinky Friedman

Went to the Kinky webiste to view the vid clips for his...I kid you not...TALKING KINKY FRIEDMAN ACTION FIGURES. You have to hear some of the crap this thing spews out.

example...Reporter askes Kinky doll, "What is your position on border issues?" Reply was, "I'll keep us out of war with Oklahoma."

I respect everyone's individual right to vote for anyone they want, but can you even imagine a person like this holding political office here?:barf: The guy is a walking cartoon character.

Daniel T
February 15, 2006, 03:14 PM
LKC, if Rick Perry's a do-nothing governor, pardon my cynicism, but isn't that the best kind?

It would be the best kind if Perry were actually do-nothing. He isn't. Unless, of course, you think that the Trans-Texas Tollroad debacle is "nothing". Billions for tax-payer dollars going into a road that you'll have to pay again to use. Yeah, nothing.

Art Eatman
February 15, 2006, 05:33 PM
Ah-hah! A wonderful thread for armed Polite Society.com.

I go off back-hoe-ing and dig a well for a guy--and hit water--and come back and y'all done this OT deal? I can't even go do honest work without the forum playing veer-veer. Humph.

Go to APS and discuss the merit's of Der Kinkster's songs, books, politics and doggerel. Don't forget the doggerel: "This women's liberation is a-goin' to yer head; get yer biscuits in the oven and yer buns in bed."

Ciao,

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok, so who's voting for Kinky?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!