Suppressor tech question....

PDA

Rusher
February 4, 2005, 08:09 PM
Hey Guys and Dolls

I am bored tonight and as usual my my wanders .......

What is the definition of a SOUND SUPPRESSOR as according to the ATFE........getting to the main question is .............lowering the sound so many levels is a suppressor according to the Gov. but is there a sepperation between a suppessor and say uuuuuummmm just a slight muffler????

I understand my question is not the most clear one but I hope you get the jeest of it.

Conditions- this item should attach to the said firearm

My intention is not to break any kind of law but know what the lower and gray limits of them are.

Thanks for .......at the very least reading and laughing at my post

Rusher

If you enjoyed reading about "Suppressor tech question...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PMDW
February 4, 2005, 08:19 PM
If it reduces the sound of the report at all, the ATF considers it to be a suppressor.

ajkurp
February 4, 2005, 08:21 PM
Rusher, having a ..."uuuuuummmm just a slight muffler" to ATF is like being 'just a little' pregnant to a doctor. Those guys have earned a reputation of poison. Pushing the grey line is not advised.

Rusher
February 4, 2005, 08:21 PM
Ahhhhhh Kinda what I thought
But was hoping there was a gray area

Thanks for the quick reply

deej
February 4, 2005, 08:22 PM
ยง921(a)(24) The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Rusher
February 4, 2005, 08:24 PM
As I stated before .....my mind was just wandering ......short of the vise grips and a few screw drivers I have no tech abilities to even attempt it(CYA) but was just wandering

againg thanks for the quick reply

harvester of sorrow
February 4, 2005, 08:28 PM
According to 18 USC 921, the terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean:

any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearms silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

So there you go, how clear and straightforward is that? :rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
February 4, 2005, 09:08 PM
But was hoping there was a gray area

Where your civil rights are concerned, yes. Where government's imaginary "rights" are concerned, never.

FNFiveSeven
February 5, 2005, 01:31 PM
hmmm, so since the longer barrel of my .22 rifle makes it quieter than my Ruger Mark 2 pistol, the rifle must be silenced! As a matter of fact, all full length barrels are, by definition, silencers. My AR sure sounds quieter with a 24" bbl than it does with a 16" bbl. Maybe, just to be on the safe side, I should use the loudest i.e. shortest, barrel available... Ooops! That's also illegal according to the NFA. :scrutiny:

Third_Rail
February 5, 2005, 02:00 PM
I was thinking the same thing re: bbl length.

Jay Kominek
February 5, 2005, 02:04 PM
The law mentions "portable firearm"... So, if my .50 cal is turret mounted or something, is a silencer that only works on it ok? :)

(Preemptive: No, no .50 cal, no turret, no interest in trying.)

Car Knocker
February 5, 2005, 02:21 PM
Seem to recall reading last year about a shotgun with a 60" barrel that was very quiet.

Third_Rail
February 5, 2005, 02:26 PM
Screw in 36" choke tube and extra light loads. I read about that too. Last I knew, MidwayUSA was still selling the 36" choke tube.

EDIT: Yep, here (http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/440176) it is. And here (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_7_48/ai_87413413) is an article on it, halfway down the page "Six Foot Barrel".

If you enjoyed reading about "Suppressor tech question...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!