Ranges around Colo Springs??

PDA

Bob R
March 7, 2003, 03:06 AM
It looks like I will be taking a short assignment to Colorado springs very soon.

Does anyone know about available ranges in the area, including whether or not Ft. Carson has a range available for military retirees?

I plan on both rifle and pistol time if possible.

bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Ranges around Colo Springs??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
March 7, 2003, 03:13 AM
If you're looking for a public range, then I think you're out of luck. The only one I know about is Rampart Range, and even though I haven't been there, word around the campfire is not encouraging. (hard to get too, tons of garbage, and lots of weirdos.) The good ranges (at least the ones I know about) are all private; Ben Lomond, Frontier, and the range at the Olympic Training Center all require a membership. I have no idea what the rules are regarding taking guests to these ranges though. (I had a membership at the OTC, but forgot to renew it. Probably will as soon as I get that target pistol.)

Ed
March 7, 2003, 09:00 AM
When I was there "moved 2 years ago" Rampart range was cool. Go to the entrance to garden of the gods and hang a left up a gravel road for 7 miles and there you are. Lots of stuff to shoot at and pretty view. Just gotta go when there aren't lots of people. Dragon Man has a range too but you have to pay like $8 to shoot there. I'd try Rampart range. My wife hated the bumpy ride but it was cool to shoot there. Just remember that its colder up there so bring a jacket. Carson does have ranges but I never shot there. You have to register your guns on post and I don't like to deal with range control.

Kalvan
March 7, 2003, 11:21 AM
Isaak Walton out east on Hwy 94 is also a membership club. Mostly shotgun but they do have pistol and rifle berms. I think they are taking new members. Ben Lomond is out by Ramah. I know they are actively seeking new members and it's a very nice facility (long range rifle, pistol berms and shotgun facilities). Check them out at Ben Lomond Gun Club (http://www.blgc.org) . Frontier and Pueblo West are nice facilities but they are also membership organizations and their membership is capped with a waiting list to get in. If you know a member they are allowed to take you once to Frontier. Pueblo West allows guests (IIRC there is a $3 fee per visit). Ben Lomond and Isaak Walton also allow guests. There was a range in Penrose, but it has closed. If you go to Rampart Range via Garden of the Gods Park be advised that it is illegal to have firearms in city parks. They've agreed to a sort of "don't ask, don't tell" arrangement for people going to the range, but I'd advise being discrete.

Grin&Barrett
March 7, 2003, 01:06 PM
I copied this off Gun-Talk, the question was almost identical ref Colo Spgs range.

If you have a GPS, here are a few. Several of them are close to Farish too.

1.) N39*08'34.898" W105*07'41.293"
North of Woodland Park on Colorado Highway 67 at Mile Post 88.5 (not marked as such). Just to the west of the highway.

2.) N39*02'22.911" W105*00'55.993"
On Rampart Range Road (Forest Service Road #300). North of Woodland Park on Rampart Range Road.

3.) N39*04'05.804" W105*01'14.706"
Near the intersection of Rampart Range Road (Forest Service Road #300) and Forest Service Road #322. North of Woodland Park on Rampart Range Road.

4.) N38*53'51.394" W104*54'42.501"
The "Official" City of Colorado Springs range. On Rampart Range Road about 7 miles up from the Garden of the Gods.

5.) N39*19'54.400" W105*07'39.400"
On Douglas County Road #67. West of Castle Rock.

Also, here is a Colorado web site. It's real new and real slow, but it'll grow.

http://pub73.ezboard.com/bmountainarms

Kalvan
March 7, 2003, 03:32 PM
If #1 is where I think it is, it was closed to the public after the Hayman fire. I haven't heard anything to the effect that it is open again, but I have not been out to look.

Bob R
March 7, 2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the replys, now to figure out what guns to bring for entertainment during my short stay.

bob

Standing Wolf
March 7, 2003, 09:09 PM
I've been to the Dragon Man's range a time or two. It costs $10 to shoot all day. There's a range master on week ends. People have seemed to be very safety-conscious. It's a 100-yard outdoor range with a shorter pistol range. The entrance to the range is lined with heavily bullet-riddled cars and amusing signs and dummies: a visually lively, admittedly somewhat adolescent touch. The selection of firearms in the display cases leaves a lot to be desired. Dragon Man himself is quite a pleasant, knowledgeable fellow.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ranges around Colo Springs??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!