Quote from last nights "Profiles from the front line"

PDA

geekWithA.45
March 7, 2003, 08:20 AM
Spcl Ops Leader "Mark" to Afghanistan village elders, during his search for heavy weapons:

(this is as near as I can remember the quote)

"I'm looking for big guns, mortars, big machine guns. " (Pointing to an AK)
"Those are OK. AK 47? Fine. Those are for personal protection, you can keep those, but you must turn over the big machine guns. I know they're here, and if you make me go look for them, I'll arrest the people whose house I find them in."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if the irony of that statement ever occurred to him.

What are the chances of federal forces telling American citizens, sitting in their own homes, that their full auto AK's are fine?

If you enjoyed reading about "Quote from last nights "Profiles from the front line"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
March 7, 2003, 09:01 AM
I thought it was droll when he said "If you come under mortar attack, you come get us." ;)

Sean Smith
March 7, 2003, 09:26 AM
Too bad I missed it. That sounds great, though. Granted, a 12.7mm NSV heavy machine gun WOULD keep the neighbor kids in line. :D

critter
March 7, 2003, 09:38 AM
If what we see on that program is anywhere near realistic, those few US spec ops guys going into areas of great concentrations of armed Afghans-bad guys looking just like 'good' guys-have some big, round, heavy brass accessories! God bless 'em!

seeker_two
March 7, 2003, 09:46 AM
"Those are OK. AK 47? Fine. Those are for personal protection, you can keep those...

Maybe he can run for Govenor of California...:evil:

Bravo11
March 7, 2003, 10:33 AM
I really enjoyed the show its a cross between "COPS" and "Real World".
I think they handled the fallen soldier part very well.

shooten
March 7, 2003, 11:27 AM
Awesome show last night. I hope the guy that cut his hand heals. From the way they were talking, he won't have very much use of it at all. I think it was his right hand (trigger finger).

Scott

10-Ring
March 7, 2003, 11:31 AM
I am really becoming a fan of the show. Really good insight (IMHO) of what our military is going through in Afghanistan. I wonder if ABC will do something similar in Iraq????

hammer4nc
March 7, 2003, 11:46 AM
I only caught bits and pieces of the show...weren't they offering $5,000 per gun, to the natives? 'Course those were bigger guns...still makes Oakland and DC buy backs look like a bunch of chiselers, though.

Absent the cash buyouts, one wonders how much cooperation these guys would get?

ACP230
March 7, 2003, 04:00 PM
I heard the offer of $5,000 for individual Al Qaida members, not guns.

How'd you like the Sgt. running the kitchen? She was wearing a black shoulder holster with what looked like a M9 in it. Also got ahold of a big chef's knife poked it into the counter and said something like, "Ah intimidatin' you?" to someone in the area. My brother used to be an army cook, the he never had the attitude that I remember. Last line she said:
"Ahm a bitch in the kitchen."

The segment on the flight nurse was also good. She left her husband behind and flew off to war. She said he was a bit annoyed since he was retired and didn't get to go.
"We're not a hospital, we're more like a flying ambulance."

The guy with the damage from the Kukri had his left hand bandaged when he left the transport plane. For him the war was over, but he didn't seem happy about it.

4v50 Gary
March 7, 2003, 05:25 PM
Right now if Gray Davis and the ATF came in and said I can have a full auto AK-47 but must give up the machineguns, mortars and anti-tank rockets, I'd be a happy camper. Now, where can I get one of those AKs?

spin180
March 7, 2003, 07:21 PM
I really enjoyed the show its a cross between "COPS" and "Real World".

Funny you should say that. One of the producers, along with Jerry Bruckheimer, is Bertram Van Munster, producer of COPS.

Dave Bean
March 8, 2003, 07:04 AM
The guy that cut his hand and was flying home....did you catch the part where he said he was from New York ? Just to refresh memories, he worked as an EMT in New York. After 9/11 happened, he took a leave of absence (I believe) and came back into the military for "payback." I'm sure he had more appropriate words, but this being a national TV show, he probably held back just a bit. :)

AK-47 for self defense. Now that's what I call gun control !!!! :D

Dave Bean

AK103K
March 8, 2003, 07:38 AM
I havent seen this show, or most of the others of this type, but does this mean we will have our troops wearing cameras like in "Aliens II" and watch the war "live" through these patches for even more reality now? I guess life is imitating art now, huh?

M1911
March 8, 2003, 05:03 PM
AK103K: No, there was a camera crew following them around.

critter: Well, at least they weren't alone. They had a group of friendly Afghan soldiers with them. But I agree that it takes a lot brass for the 3 of them to stroll in there and start confiscating weapons.

grampster
March 8, 2003, 05:17 PM
That female Sarn't from NYC who ran the kitchen. I loved that segment. Especially when she asked one of the cooks if he was burning the steaks and he gave her a dirty look. She said "don't you be lookin' at me like you gonna kick my a$$, 'cause you can't do that! Couple other cooks said, " When she come in here, if she in a bad mood, we all in a bad mood, and when she in a good mood we all in a good mood! We need more of her, especially at the UN!:D Gun oriented post: big ole peestole in the shoulder holster, cool!
grampster

Peetmoss
March 8, 2003, 06:28 PM
When is this show on.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quote from last nights "Profiles from the front line"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!