Are all of your guns loaded?

PDA

Alan Fud
March 7, 2003, 08:33 AM
Read a story a couple of years ago about a break-in where the burglar forced the homeowner to open a house safe. As the homeowner did this, he grabbed a gun that was inside and shot the burglar.

Fortunately, he had a firearm in the safe ready for action. That got me thinking and ever since them, I keep all of my firearms loaded. Don't get me wrong, unless they are under my direct supervision, they are under lock & key but still ready to go.

How about everyone else?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are all of your guns loaded?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geekWithA.45
March 7, 2003, 08:35 AM
No, not ALL my guns are loaded.

Just 1 per safe. And I'm the only one who knows which. ;)

Here, mr. pistol toting thief. Play with my super cool looking red dot scoped out Bushmaster for your final minute.

:evil:

Jack19
March 7, 2003, 08:46 AM
Yup. I don't buy them to be paper weights.

Logistar
March 7, 2003, 09:22 AM
I tend to have "active" guns and "inactive" guns.

If I have loaded a gun, and it is in it's holster then it's "ready". For example, in the summertime I typically won't carry my full size Beretta so I "store it".

Because I think I have no immediate use for it, I unload it. The main reason for unloading it is to try to extend the life of the mag springs. Maybe I should reconsider...

Logistar

COHIBA
March 7, 2003, 09:45 AM
treat EVERY weapon as if it were loaded.
so, yes they are.

mdsteele
March 7, 2003, 10:21 AM
My revolvers are always loaded. Five of them anyway.

870 has three in the tube. Not chambered.

Two bushie carbines with 20 rounds each. Not chambered

G26 carried daily loaded and chambered.

Eight others just hang around empty waiting for a trip to the range.
:D

gbelleh
March 7, 2003, 10:24 AM
Usually only 2 or 3 are loaded, ready to go. Some are unloaded with loaded mags nearby. Many are left unloaded all the time.

Hkmp5sd
March 7, 2003, 10:41 AM
Since it is the unloaded gun that always accidentally kills people, I like to keep everyone safe by having mine loaded.

Lennyjoe
March 7, 2003, 11:23 AM
Yes they are.

Children ages from 18 to 14.

Everyone of them are trained in gun safety. They know that every gun is treated as if its loaded.

We train on safety in the house. If its there, its loaded and ready to protect each other. They will not touch it unless its in self defense. Education is power.

10-Ring
March 7, 2003, 11:28 AM
Not ALL, but I do have a few strategically placed throughout the house.

cratz2
March 7, 2003, 11:35 AM
They're definately not all loaded but in addition to the ones I keep ready, I also have a couple handguns loaded in the same as well as one shotgun and one rifle.

A would-be burglar probably shouldn't ask me to open the safe. ;)

dairycreek
March 7, 2003, 11:36 AM
Except for my daily carry weapon they are all locked in my safe. They are ready for use. Good shooting;)

Spackler
March 7, 2003, 11:51 AM
About half are loaded.

ChristopherG
March 7, 2003, 12:07 PM
Not the .22s. Others, yep.

GlocksRock
March 7, 2003, 12:11 PM
Most of the pistols are loaded, the rifles are not, but one shotgun is loaded and not chambered.

BerettaNut92
March 7, 2003, 12:14 PM
Not ALL, but I do have a few strategically placed throughout the house.

I don't think 'strategically' is the correct word here. :D

I'll say at least three are.

Don Gwinn
March 7, 2003, 12:21 PM
No. I have two children, age 6, both with emotional problems, neither of which lived in my home until six months ago. Before they came here they were taught that guns, shooters and hunters were all evil--and I'm not exaggerating, that's the term that was used. "Melissa at Kindercare says that people who kill nature are evil."

So no, none of mine are loaded. The boys don't know where they are, and I'll keep it that way for the foreseeable future.

bogie
March 7, 2003, 12:25 PM
My favorite shotgun is a double-barrel with external hammers. So it can stay loaded.

4v50 Gary
March 7, 2003, 01:18 PM
The guns in my arms locker (safe) are empty. The ones at hand (locked but quick access) to repel boarders are loaded.

Airwolf
March 7, 2003, 01:20 PM
Handguns: All execpt the P22

Rifles: M1A/full mag/empty chamber/spare mags at hand.
M44/Tikka/SKS unloaded but with rounds/clips at hand
10/22 nope

Shotgun: 8 in the mag/empty chamber/10 spare rounds on board

All are stored in the safe execpt for a "duty sidearm" for each of us that is kept nearby at all times.

First one up in the morning unlocks the safe, last one to bed or leaving the house locks it.

Navy joe
March 7, 2003, 01:34 PM
How much ammo you people think I've got??? Not enough for all of 'em, so suffice it to say, some are, some aren't you guess which. If you're a guest the proper order is ask, then touch.

Schuey2002
March 7, 2003, 01:42 PM
Define the word..... " loaded".;)

seeker_two
March 7, 2003, 01:48 PM
Only one I don't have loaded is broken...:(

Ledbetter
March 7, 2003, 02:00 PM
One pistol (at least) per safe.

In the main safe there's a loaded Springfield Mil-Spec with CTC laser grips plus 75 rounds of .45 ACP loaded into mags for it and my (also loaded) Marlin Camp .45. Plus a decent amount of clipped Garand ammo and a Garand. Plus a loaded Colt Officer's .45. And a loaded Beretta 21A BUG way in the back.

Of course, now that I've told you, I'll have to rearrange them all.

Damn!:banghead:

hutch24
March 7, 2003, 02:10 PM
Right now all loaded except the 10/22, but that has ammo close by too. :D

JamisJockey
March 7, 2003, 02:35 PM
Other then rule #1:
My two wheelguns are loaded and in the pistol safe. My Win 1300 is *unloaded*, but has a shell holder on the butstock with 5 '00' ready to go. Ruger 10/22 is *unloaded*.
When I get my .308 next payday, I'll keep it *unloaded* with ammo nearby.
Future purchases:
SKS will be kept loaded unchambered
High capacity Semi-auto handgun will be kept loaded

thumbtack
March 7, 2003, 03:49 PM
Some are, some aren't.

Diesle
March 7, 2003, 05:15 PM
The ones in the safe are loaded. I have some in 'lightly' locked cases that are not.

Diesle

Mastrogiacomo
March 7, 2003, 06:04 PM
No. Never -- they're always unloaded and locked away. My sister's children, all under four, come and stay sometimes so I never leave any ammo in the gun to be responsible. If I lived in my own place -- probably would do differently.:)

T.Stahl
March 7, 2003, 06:23 PM
All my guns are in my safe and unloaded, but the mags lying next to them are loaded.

JeepDriver
March 7, 2003, 08:09 PM
If the dog and the .357 Mag doesn't stop them the 12 ga will. I keep the AK loaded but no one will ever get that far.

I'm hoping the ill tempered & over protective 95 lb. Black Lab will be the end of the fight.

bad_dad_brad
March 7, 2003, 08:28 PM
My home defense guns are always loaded. I don't know why. I am the only one to defend these days. Kids are all grown up. Wife passed away. Sometimes I don't know what the heck I am defending. My guns I guess. They are the only thing of real value in my house.

I do know that if I had kids at home I would be a whole lot less casual. My kids would be educated about firearms, but I can't say my dear departed would have allowed loaded weapons in the house.

I had to laugh. The other day a friend of mine bought an AR-15. He served in the Gulf War and wanted his old friend handy just because. Well, his wife made him buy a gun safe, that was her only condition. They have little kids at home. So the dealer made out like a bandit. $800 for the AR, $1000 for the safe. At least she let him buy the AR.

Standing Wolf
March 7, 2003, 08:28 PM
I don't keep my .22s loaded, but all the center-fire guns are always loaded at all times. The .22s aren't defensive guns, and I prefer to keep their springs as unstressed as possible.

a9mmfan
March 7, 2003, 09:01 PM
I was raised to believe that the most dangerous gun was the one BELIEVED to be empty, so I keep ALL of mine safely loaded.

sm
March 7, 2003, 09:17 PM
Rule 1

I don't keep all my guns here.

My CCW (s) are always loaded, as are all mags, speedloaders...

CWL
March 7, 2003, 09:19 PM
No.

Just the ones I'd need.

Crimper-D
March 7, 2003, 09:27 PM
There are a couple that are disassembled and one that's broken.:p My non-carry handguns are unloaded, but I have loaded mags/speedloaders for each. :cool:

MountainPeak
March 7, 2003, 09:27 PM
Why in the world would I keep all my guns loaded? I keep enough "Tactically"(How am I doing Skunk?) loaded to keep the peace.:)

Hardtarget
March 8, 2003, 12:09 AM
I just keep enough loaded and placed for emergency deployment.
My wife knowes what and where...and she is a good shot. This doesn't count my carry weapon.
Mark.

coonan357
March 8, 2003, 12:27 AM
My HDF's are but the others are locked up and unloaded .

Guy B. Meredith
March 8, 2003, 12:27 AM
No children or errant hands to fumble with my revolvers, but they are ALWAYS unloaded. The one that counts is sitting immediately on top of about 6 moonclips worth, though. Takes about 2 sec to load and would be my first action in the event of a problem situation.

tbz
March 8, 2003, 01:39 AM
bad_dad_brad - get a dog

Pumps and autos yes, bolts - no, levers - don't have any:(

makdaddy03
March 8, 2003, 03:24 AM
Heck Yeah!!

illuminatus99
March 8, 2003, 06:05 AM
I generally keep them all loaded, only a few of them are chambered.

rick458
March 8, 2003, 07:21 AM
The 45s tend to be loaded everything else is unloaded

JohnBT
March 8, 2003, 02:36 PM
All of them? Of course not. Rounds in chambers are rust magnets and block the circulation of that nice dry Golden Rod air I'm paying pennies a month for.

If you keep all of your guns loaded I'd guess you don't have enough guns yet :) Did I ever tell you about the man I run into from time to time who owns 1200 collectible shotguns? Uh-huh, that's right.

John

trapshooter
March 8, 2003, 08:43 PM
Not all, but enough to give me comfort.;) :evil:

LiquidTension
March 9, 2003, 07:23 AM
No offense intended, but this just isn't information that I want to broadcast over the internet. Maybe they're all loaded. Maybe none of them are loaded. The only one that really needs to know is ME :)

.45Ruger
March 9, 2003, 04:32 PM
My carry pistol is always loaded and when not on me is locked up. Inside of the safe one handgun and a shotgun are always loaded. The rifles are all locked up and unloaded and have individual trigger locks on each one. That way if anyone does ever steal my guns it is a biggger pain in the rear for them.

Jason Demond
March 9, 2003, 05:10 PM
We keep six loaded firearms in our house.

Ala Dan
March 9, 2003, 10:49 PM
Hey FUD old buddy-

Not all my guns are loaded; ONLY THE ONES I HOPE I EVER NEED!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Blackhawk
March 10, 2003, 01:31 AM
Yes, unless I'm practicing techniques, dry firing, drawing, etc.

12.7x99mm
March 10, 2003, 01:47 AM
Today? just two

45 with 4 extra mags and a 12 guage with 8 rounds

(I think that mossberg 500 of mine has been loaded to the hilt for over 13 years. And still doesnt need a new spring and functions just fine.)

Kahr carrier
March 10, 2003, 06:39 AM
Nope just 3 or 4 of them.:)

killjoy
March 10, 2003, 07:16 AM
All my pistols are loaded and my long guns are unloaded but easily loaded if necessary.....otherwise they are just bookends. Why have them if they aren't ready for use.
PS. I have no young children in my home.

ruger357
March 10, 2003, 07:28 AM
Just a few.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are all of your guns loaded?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!