Black Talons

PDA

Bandit01
February 7, 2005, 09:45 AM
Can I make Black Talons for:
.45 cal & 10mm
If so, anyone have any recipes?

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Talons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mfree
February 7, 2005, 11:51 AM
Yup, i have a recipe for you.

Buy some Winchester Ranger SXT's, they're the same thing, different name.

Bandit01
February 7, 2005, 05:58 PM
That's not a recipe

Third_Rail
February 7, 2005, 06:18 PM
But it is a way to get them :D

Richard.Howe
February 7, 2005, 11:02 PM
:uhoh:

BluesBear
February 16, 2005, 09:26 PM
Black Talon s the tradmarked name for a bullet Olin once used in their Supreme Handgun ammunition. They do not sell it as a separate component.

So therefore there is no "recipe".

Fumbler
February 17, 2005, 01:18 AM
You can trick yourself into thinking you have some by moly coating some bullets :neener:

BluesBear
February 17, 2005, 03:50 AM
Wow Google is great...

I found the top secret ingredient.

Highlight below to see the secret ingredient.
--------------------
>>> Krylon <<<
--------------------

OF
February 17, 2005, 08:32 AM
BTW, the SXT's aren't the new Talon. The 'LEO-only' Ranger-T is the direct lineage...as far as I know.

- Gabe

Lennyjoe
February 17, 2005, 09:08 AM
I have 2 boxes of Black Talon 9MM's that a buddy gave me. :cool:

Coltdriver
February 17, 2005, 12:57 PM
Black talons were a great marketing ploy and not a bad bullet. I still have a bunch of .45 rounds left in black talon and I got a real nice pistol rug for sending in a couple of box tops too!

There is nothing special about them and their reputation of being able to pierce a bullet proof vest is pure BS. Never happened.

Today there are many other excellent hollow point or expanding defensive rounds that give better performance.

LiquidTension
February 17, 2005, 09:02 PM
Yes, there are other bullets that offer similar performance...like the Ranger SXTs mentioned above :) That's what I use in my carry gun. Can you get just the bullets? I've never looked.

TooTaxed
March 5, 2005, 07:12 PM
From a comparison board of various makes of fired HP bullets I've seen, the Black Talons look like they are the best of all at tearing up flesh...

bogie
March 12, 2005, 10:28 PM
Buy the bullet of your choice, and paint 'em black.

Take a Sharpie and write "Tacktikul" all over the box.

MLC
March 13, 2005, 02:48 PM
I bought several boxes of Black Talons back in 98.
I found that the 230g 45 was inconsistent in its expansion in our backstop but the 147g 9mm doubled in diameter.
The claws of the jacket were, as stated above, very sharp and would obviously tear flesh.
I've found in my limited experience that the middleweight Gold Dots have very similar expansion and that's what I've carried in 9mm and 10mm since.

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Talons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!