I love Ruger's customer service

PDA

Jesse H
March 7, 2003, 10:43 AM
Slidestop on my P97 started developing a problem with loosening and falling out while shooting. Friendly, courteous, and sounded like she was just happy to be there.

All companies should be this way when it comes to customer service.

If you enjoyed reading about "I love Ruger's customer service" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheFrontRange
March 7, 2003, 10:52 AM
When I owned a P95 I once wrote them a short note just telling them how much I liked the pistol, etc...they sent me a whole sack full of Ruger logo goodies back!

Of course, I was inspired by an earlier effort where I'd emailed Springfield Armory singing the praises of a Mil-Spec and they replied with a T-shirt! :D

Hmmm...maybe I should write Kimber now...

Jason Demond
March 7, 2003, 07:23 PM
All the customer service in the world, still doesn't change the fact that it's still a Ruger!!:evil:

Nomex on!:uhoh:

scottsw1
March 8, 2003, 11:46 AM
I too had a pleasant experience with Rugers Customer Service in the past.

It all started about 2 years ago when I purchased one of their "slab side" Mark II pistols. I had just ordered a red dot scope to mount on it that was 30mm. Ruger supplies the pistol with 1 inch rings, so I called to order the 30mm ring set. The girl on the phone at customer service said that they would exchange my rings for the price of $5.00 and even suggested that I exchange my standard scope mounting base for the extended. Ruger sent me the parts that I needed and then I mailed my parts to them in the box that they sent. I guess the $5.00 was to cover the cost of them shipping the parts to me.

Everything turned out great and I am very happy with the pistol and the service from that day. I would not hesitate to buy another Ruger just because they treated me right, and the 3 Rugers I own have been trouble free!

Jason Demond
March 8, 2003, 06:27 PM
In all seriousness, I have had great luck with Rugers customer service. They replaced a P85 that wouldn't feed a thing, for nada.

Pappy John
March 9, 2003, 06:53 AM
I think they're great also. I bought a used .44 magnum Redhawk and started having light hammer strikes, presumably due to some questionable gunsmithing from the prior owner. Sent it to Ruger service and they rebuilt the internals, gave it a beautiful re-bluing job, and replaced the OK grips that were on it with a new set that had really nice figuring in the woodgrain. All for the price of shipping. I was blown away! Go Ruger!

thumbtack
March 9, 2003, 10:21 AM
The few times that I have called them they were nothing but helpful.

12.7x99mm
March 9, 2003, 01:25 PM
Rugers customer service is good. I have no issues with a company that sends me free replacement parts for something that broke because of my mistake.

Blackhawk
March 9, 2003, 03:21 PM
I love to see threads about customer service. I think what's said on THR (and TFL before it) gets read and acted on by the manufacturers. Customer service seems to be getting better across the board, and if a company's CS is CS, it needs to know and take action.

p35
March 9, 2003, 04:12 PM
I once knew a guy who found a Single Six underwater off a boat ramp where someone obviously dropped it while loading a boat. Rusty and full of mud. He sent it to Ruger with a note that basically said "see if you can do anything with this and if you can't forget it", and they sent it back looking like new with a bill for, I think, $20. He was impressed.

AnklePocket
March 9, 2003, 06:02 PM
I had a hell of a time with my rare lemon of an SP101. I've clearly handled it all wrong. Recently got it back in a box of maybe 50 parts or so - I had no idea that there were that many parts in a revolver.
Ruger graciously allowed me to send it to them to see what they can do, if anything. I'll report back if it's a good report and will keep my mouth shut and move on with my life if not ($850+ later). I'm an idiot.

falconer
March 9, 2003, 07:04 PM
I've had poor luck with their customer service. Anyone ever notice the advertisement for their "safety upgrade" for old model single action revolvers? Well, if you have an old model gun and have a problem or need parts, they will not fix it or help you until you send the gun in for the upgrade. This wouldn't be a big deal but it ruins a) any collector value the gun had and B) the trigger. If you call and mention you have an old model gun, they will ask for the serial number to check it against their database of upgraded guns. The CS rep I talked to got really nasty with me when I said I didn't have the serial number handy and there was no way I was having my gun "upgraded."

It could've been worse. I could have had to deal with Mossberg.

nvrquit
March 9, 2003, 08:07 PM
.... EAA!

DMK
March 9, 2003, 08:31 PM
Gee, good customer service is such a rarity these days, now I'm almost disapointed. My Ruger is so swiss watch like reliable, I've never had to call them. ;)

Matthew Courtney
March 9, 2003, 08:37 PM
My Super Redhawk develops a flinch after 40-50 Garret 300 Gr. loads @ 1300 fps. Oh, wait, that's me filnching, not the gun.

Sisco
March 9, 2003, 08:49 PM
I have only delt with them a couple of times. My P95 was shooting low, I called and asked what could be done and they sent a taller rear sight at no charge.
Another time I sent a letter asking if they had any plans to build a GP100 or SP101 in 45acp. They replied that they had no such plans but sent a bunch of patches, stickers & a catalog.

Red Label
March 9, 2003, 09:32 PM
I've got a Red Label that I would like to send in to have the automatic safety removed but I can't bear to part with it for that long. It works perfectly. The owners manual says that they charge $20.00 to do it but I've heard other guys say that they do it for free!:D

AnklePocket
March 13, 2003, 11:20 AM
Just called Ruger. They're replacing my SP101 apparently free of charge with a brand new one. Can't beat that. I hope that this post results in a lot more sales for them and an example that exceptional companies are so because of how they handle exceptions.

Jesse H
March 13, 2003, 12:42 PM
That's wonderful news Anklepocket. :)

Yohan
March 13, 2003, 12:46 PM
That's it- I'm calling up all the gun companies I can find to see if I can get any freebies! Soon my guitar will be full of gun stickers! (no glock stickers though)

AnklePocket
March 13, 2003, 01:15 PM
Trust me - you don't want to endure what I endured due to my mishandling of this and the entire picture was very clear to Ruger who made good and then some. I think they felt sorry for me.

Poodleshooter
March 13, 2003, 04:06 PM
I just wish Ruger could get my M77MkII converted to the later controlled feed bolt for less than the $150 or so that a new bolt costs.

Jesse H
March 14, 2003, 07:13 PM
Got my replacement slide stop...they also included a new recoil spring and guide rod. Wooo!

Alan Smithiee
March 14, 2003, 11:51 PM
after I bought my P95DC I read on some other gun board (The Fire line? The Fireing Line? something like that) that some owners had a problem with a recoil spring retaining ring comeing off and getting lost, I called Ruger about getting a spare.

2 weeks later I got a new ring in the mail.

attached to it were the rod and springs. retail $35.00 (I think) according to the parts list.

no invoice sent.

I wish other industries were as on the ball (any car maker for example) as big name firearm and firearm related industries.

Preacherman
March 15, 2003, 12:00 AM
The Ruger refinishing service is the best value in the business, bar none - they will reblue ANY Ruger firearm for a flat fee of $55.00. That includes an inspection of the firearm and FREE replacement of any worn or defective parts, as well as performing any upgrades that have occurred in production. I had this done to a Security-Six some time ago: it was badly rusted (I bought it for a very good price because of that), and sent it in, only to get back a like-new-in-box revolver! Very impressive service in this day and age.

coonan357
March 15, 2003, 12:05 AM
had no problems with the fiearms so far , But I did have to order a manual for a used gun I bought was at the house in three days . hmmm . free stuff you said maybe i should try ....

BamBam-31
March 15, 2003, 06:53 AM
I feel I need to echo the positive comments about Ruger customer service. I posted a thread in the Auto's forum about a bone-headed monkey (me :( ) breaking the recoil spring assembly on my new 22/45. I called Ruger with credit card in hand, ready to order a new part. The nice lady asked for my name and address, then told me the part would be sent to me free of charge. Wow! :D

Small part for an inexpensive plinker, perhaps. Still impressive. That's the kind of stuff that makes you want to buy more of their stuff. Service reps from other makers should take note.

If you enjoyed reading about "I love Ruger's customer service" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!