Finishes

PDA

Ric
February 7, 2005, 03:17 PM
I have a Compact 1991 that is going to need refinishing. Any suggestions?
Who does a good job?
I'm thinking about a matte black duracoat, is it any good?
http://img143.exs.cx/img143/8787/kustomballisticscolt0jk.th.jpg (http://img143.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img143&image=kustomballisticscolt0jk.jpg)

If you enjoyed reading about "Finishes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mainmech48
February 7, 2005, 03:46 PM
Noticed the Kustom Ballistics attribution on the photo. IMO, if Neil Keller uses it, it's A #1. The man is a wizard who's forgotten more about how to make handguns run than most folks will ever learn.

Ever seen one of his Baby Lugers?

Ric
February 7, 2005, 03:51 PM
Your right. Neil Keller did a awesome job on this and another 45 for me a while back.
He was just starting to work with Baby Lugers so I didn't get to see one. But I did see the one in the Mar/Apr American Handgunner that is being given in a sweepstakes :D
Could'nt think of a better president for the guild than Neil Keller.

Gunsnrovers
February 7, 2005, 03:57 PM
I am packing up a GI to send to Mac's Shooting Irons. Gun Kote over parkerized.

mainmech48
February 8, 2005, 01:49 PM
I was fortunate enough to handle one of them that he had made for an acquaintance of mine who has heaps of disposable income. Absolutely incredible! Not the slightest sign of a weld - even inside the mag well. Not even a hint in the blue finish. I stand in complete awe of such skill.

FWIW, the only experience that I have with composite polymer finishes is on my CZ 97B. I had some doubts at first, as I mistakenly equated it with 'paint'. It's proved to be very practical and extremely durable in the course a little over 4.5K rounds of use. AFAIK, it is roughly equivalent to other proprietary polymers, in that it's applied over a phosphate base coat and heat cured. Aside from a very small 'rub' mark from my wedding ring (I'm a southpaw) the only wear is on the bearing surfaces of the slide and frame rails. As it's been in and out of a Bianchi military holster rig as few thousand time with no visible damage, I'm impressed.

BTW, I've sent my check for raffle tickets to the Guild. My only conceivable chance of ever owning such an extraordinary handgun :o

R.H. Lee
February 8, 2005, 01:53 PM
How about hard chrome on the frame and black durakote on the slide?

If you enjoyed reading about "Finishes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!