Q re: Grip or guide rod lasers

PDA

10-Ring
March 7, 2003, 11:53 AM
I saw a deputy yesterday using his duty weapon w/ laser yesterday and was impressed. I normally don't like lasers, but I haven't ever seen anyone use one that knew what they were doing. Anyway, are they worth having on a house gun? Is the grip mount or guide rod mount better? Do they work loose easily? Any experiences, comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Q re: Grip or guide rod lasers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kor
March 7, 2003, 02:19 PM
...the Lasermax guide-rod laser on my Glock 27, and the Crimson Trace Lasergrips on my S&W 642. Both are quite serviceable, durable, and hold zero well. I give the Lasergrips a slight edge in ergonomics, as you merely have to grasp the gun with a firm shooting grasp to activate the laser, and relax your grip slightly to turn it off; the Lasermax requires a separate movement with your trigger finger or support-hand thumb to turn it on/off.

For a dedicated house gun, I'd rather have a Sure-Fire or ITI M3 gun-mounted white light, because the light allows you to ID friend/foe better than the laser does(more light output, true color rendition) and it is easier to blind/dazzle your assailant with bright white light than a narrow laser. Besides, if you beam a target with a tactical light mounted on the gun, you can be pretty sure that the muzzle is de facto pointed at the target, just as it would be with a correctly zeroed laser, so you lose nothing with the white light.

If the gun will be doing double-duty as a street-carry gun, I would consider the laser, as both the Lasermax and Crimson Trace units allow you to carry the gun in a conventional holster. The tac-lights must either be carried separately from the holstered gun, or use a special holster which may or may not fit the gun well without the light installed. The extra bulk of the lights also works against easy concealment when installed on the gun.

A grip-laser or guide-rod laser can be a quick way to add low-light/night capability to a gun that you can't or don't want to put night sights on, like my Smith 642 - with the sights integral to the barrel/frame, I would have had to send it to Trijicon or IWI for 2-4 weeks to have the tritium dots implanted, and I just didn't want to be without it for that long. The laser is also helpful for weak-hand shooting or point/hip-shooting, which I appreciate on this gun which I habitually carry as a weak-side backup.

Of course, only you can decide if you really want to spend $200-400 on the laser...

Ledbetter
March 7, 2003, 03:07 PM
C R Sam has often reminded us that in order to illuminate a friend or foe with a weapon mounted light, you have to point the weapon at them. This is better for a foe than for a friend (or child).

I have the CTC laser grips and a 6 volt hand held flashlight.

V-fib
March 10, 2003, 03:21 AM
I have the Crimson Trace grip laser on my SP101 .357. Highly recommend it over any other mounted laser. It can't be knocked out of aim like a bolt on laser can. Very bright and you can use your present holster without alterations. Get the CTC and you can use it in conjunction with your hand held light if needed. If you do decide on the CT get the "Shots in the dark" video offered at the CTC site, very informative and gives you lots of tips on using your laser. :cool:

PeacefulWarrior
March 11, 2003, 08:25 PM
I'm not a big fan of lasers but when I have tried weapons with the grip mounted lasers it seems that when I "indexed" my trigger finger along the slide of the weapon it would always block the laser to some degree. No such problem with the guide-rod versions.

curt
March 13, 2003, 10:46 AM
I think that other than training purposes a laser might be handy for a gun that might be used in awkward circumstances such as a "car" gun or pocket gun. Interesting point about the frame indexed finger blocking the laser but i would figure if you are targeting something with the laser its probably time to get your finger on the trigger.

If you enjoyed reading about "Q re: Grip or guide rod lasers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!