Golden rod in safe

PDA

Wayne02
February 7, 2005, 07:18 PM
For those of you who run a golden rod in your safes, where exactly did you mount it? On the floor, the wall, horizontal, vertical???? Like to put it where it would be most effective, but don't want to take up more room than necessary. What makes the most sense?

Wayne

If you enjoyed reading about "Golden rod in safe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Monkeyleg
February 7, 2005, 07:26 PM
GoldenRod recommends that they be horizontal.

I have two at the bottom of the safe, next to my rifles.

Ruger Redhawk
February 7, 2005, 08:57 PM
Mine is at the back wall horizontal on the base of the safe.Golden Rod recommends mounting it horizontal like monkeyleg stated. They are good insurance against moisture

Ruger Redhawk

kudu
February 7, 2005, 08:58 PM
I have one at the bottom back of one safe in a factory bracket and one in a pair of sleeves at the top back of the other safe. I believe that they would be best in the bottom so the heat that they put out would rise through the safe. It wasn't feasable in my second safe to install it that way. Both are in a horizontal position, but I do know one guy that just has them hanging from the cords in a vertical position.

bean357
February 7, 2005, 09:16 PM
my safe has a narrow divider midway up that the goldenrod sits perfectly on (horizontal). I purchased it in 2000--and it's been a great asset--$15 very wisely spent.

Wayne02
February 7, 2005, 09:58 PM
Hmm, the safe I purchased was a liberty and it has a hole in the lower back to pass the cord through. However, if I remember the inside correctly there is a center divider that is against the back wall and the floor. Wouldn't be possible to mount the rod horizontal at the floor and back wall. (the golden rod I have is too long to fit on either side of the divider).

Suppose I could put the rod horizontal at the floor and the bottom of the door, but that seems like it would kind of be in the way then. Would need the the cord running along the base of the floor and then having the rod sticking right there in the front where you are taking the rifles in and out... hmmm

Wayne

GaryP
February 8, 2005, 01:14 AM
I mounted mine on the left wall in the horizontal position about 3" up from the safe floor. The Golden Rod gets warm but not too Hot to touch! ;)

:evil:

Diggler
February 8, 2005, 07:40 AM
I have mine mounted on the wall underneath the door.

ETA: Mine is the 36" model.

TrapperReady
February 8, 2005, 10:09 AM
Horizontal on the back wall of the safe, about 4" above the floor.

Tactical Texan
February 8, 2005, 10:39 AM
I have the 18" one mounted about three inches from the bottom.

Horizontally.

I like it.

JohnBT
February 8, 2005, 11:23 AM
I have a long one across the front of a Liberty and it's not in the way. I also have a shorter one running front to back in the center. I pulled the adjustable shelves out a fraction of an inch to get some circulation up the back wall.

John

sturmruger
February 8, 2005, 11:47 AM
I am in the final stages of buying a new gun safe. Should I get two Golden Rods or is one sufficient?

The Freeholder
February 8, 2005, 11:57 AM
Floor, horizontal, near the front of the safe.

TimRB
February 8, 2005, 03:10 PM
BTW, you guys *do* know that you can do the same thing by putting a lamp inside your safes? A Goldenrod dissipates 18W. Put a little reading light in there and you should be good to go.

Tim

Greg L
February 8, 2005, 03:11 PM
Horizontal at the bottom of the back wall.

Greg

Cacique500
February 8, 2005, 09:31 PM
Horizontal, floor, back of the safe. Used to be mounted horizontally on the bottom shelf but the little support thingies kept coming off :cuss:

Works just fine on the floor where it is now though!

JohnBT
February 9, 2005, 09:13 AM
One is enough. I have two because the safe is in a cave. Okay, it's really in an unfinished basement that's sort of tidal. ;)

"...the same thing by putting a lamp..."

Yup, but bulbs get pretty hot and do burn out. GRs don't.

John

If you enjoyed reading about "Golden rod in safe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!