where do you get your brass

PDA

neoncowboy
February 8, 2005, 09:35 AM
I am just getting into reloading. I want to reload my own .45acp and plan to load both 230gr FMJ and 185gr JHP rounds.

Where do you get your brass? I'd like to get 1000-2000 pcs to get started and have some options. I can get mixed headstamp, tumbled, fired brass on eBay for cheap. I can get new brass for not-so-cheap or I can get 'once fired', winchester brass for somewhere in between.

I am leaning toward the mixed-bag stuff on ebay just because I can get a lot of it pretty cheap and afford to throw out damaged or ugly pcs.

Of course, after this lot I'll be recycling so hopefully sourcing brass will only be a once a year proposition.

Any problems with buying lots of brass picked up off a range somewhere?

If you enjoyed reading about "where do you get your brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
50 Shooter
February 8, 2005, 09:59 AM
Try ebay

There's also Brassman, gibrass, patsreloading, midway, midsouth shooters supply, brownelles....

rick_reno
February 8, 2005, 10:12 AM
I get mine from Black Hills Shooters Supply - http://www.bhshooters.com/

P0832177
February 8, 2005, 10:38 AM
Brassman is a good source.

Zuma
February 8, 2005, 10:41 AM
HQBrass.com is another good source for once fired brass.

Tom

phungus
February 8, 2005, 10:59 AM
I just went to the outdoor range yesterday and sat in the stall with the bucket that had the most fired brass in it. (I was the only one there at the time, and that range has screens which catch brass and dump it down into a bucket for you).

I ended up dumping it in my range bag, which of course is a no-no on the range, but I didn't think they'd miss it.

Got a lot of once-fired .45ACP, even though I don't shoot it. :)

I try and pick up extra brass at the indoor range I go to as well, when I can.

Too bad you don't ever find .44mag/spcl brass anymore though.

C. H. Luke
February 8, 2005, 12:21 PM
The fellow who runs HQ Brass posts frequently on 1911Forums.com

His $ seems very resonable.........

mtnbkr
February 8, 2005, 12:26 PM
I get brass from all over the place.

If it's a new gun and one I don't already load for, I shoot several boxes of factory ammo to break it in and learn it's needs. That usually sets me up with 100-300 pieces of brass, enough to get started.

If it's a gun I've been reloading for already and I need brass for critical loads (hunting, SD, etc), I just buy new brass at gunshows or from Midwayusa.

For plinking, I buy whatever's cheapest, from any source. I picked up two 50 caliber ammo cans filled with brass for $20. One was 9mm, the other 38special. I'm set on those two calibers for as long as I can forsee. :D

Chris

Guy B. Meredith
February 8, 2005, 12:36 PM
I just picked up 2000 pieces from Starline. The brass works well in moonclips and since it is new I know how long it will last--a LONG time. At this point the cost per shot in terms of brass is almost nonexistent as the brass has been recycled.

theCZ
February 8, 2005, 12:37 PM
I've ordered once fired brass of mixed headstamp from Midway, the price was good, and the brass was mostly Federal Match. But I'll be ordering from Brassman next time I need brass, I want to give them a try.

Poodleshooter
February 8, 2005, 12:37 PM
I scrounge almost all of my brass from the range. I get once fired .308 Fed GM match brass every once in awhile after the local SWAT teams leave the range. .38 brass I get once fired from a friend who shoots a lot of bullseye competition.

larryw
February 8, 2005, 12:44 PM
On a low pressure round like 45ACP, range scroungings are just fine. When the brass gets tired and worn out, it just splits. I had range duty at my club last week and came home with two shot bags full of 45 brass. WooHoo!

Stay away from the nickle cases, they don't last and split after a couple loadings.

Swamprabbit
February 8, 2005, 12:46 PM
My last order was a 1k lot of IMI match brass from Wideners.

Dave R
February 8, 2005, 02:16 PM
Places I have personally acquired brass:

-Buying factory ammo, and keeping the brass.
-Buying brass at a local gun store.
-Buying brass at a gun show (got a good deal.)
-Had some given to me. Several times at the range, folks have seen me collecting mine, and have given me theirs if they don't reload. I don't pick up range brass I didn't shoot.

roo_ster
February 8, 2005, 02:20 PM
HQ Brass did right by me & I would do business with him again.

g56
February 8, 2005, 03:57 PM
I get mine from Black Hills Shooters Supply - http://www.bhshooters.com/
Black Hills Shooters Supply website says they don't sell retail. :confused:

Bandit01
February 8, 2005, 04:55 PM
I usually steal them from my local range. :neener:

Valkman
February 8, 2005, 05:13 PM
I don't trust most people's "once fired" brass and have been burned before getting really crappy tarnished brass. Now I buy new or once fired and almost all from the Brassman (http://www.brassmanbrass.com/). He's local to me but he's a good guy and sells good stuff.

lvl1trauma
February 8, 2005, 09:44 PM
Go to your closest indoor range. They will likely have a bunch of brass in the back that they have collected. Our local indoor range keeps it in 55 Gal drums. Offer them $50 or so for 1/2 of a 55 Gal drum. They will probably take it. That's what I did a little while back. You will have several lifetimes of brass. Trust me. It takes a while to sort and clean it, though. My guess is I walked away with about 15K (yep, that many) rounds of brass or more. It will be mostly 9mm and .40 followed by .45 and .380. Some .357 and .44's. Sadly, few .38's. You can hardly give .38 brass away now. When I bought mine, the range was just about begging folks to take it off their hands but they weren't going to give it away. I think someone bought what was left ( about 7 Drums worth) and is in the process of reselling it.

Lvl1trauma

neoncowboy
February 8, 2005, 09:49 PM
OK, thanks all.

It sounds like I'll do OK with the 'range brass' I bought on eBay. I got 2000 pcs for about $45. It's all brass.

The range I shoot IPSC at sells all of it's brass to a reloading company. On IPSC night...well, all those guys reload so everyone collects their own brass. And hardly anyone shoot's .45 there anyway.

NoHarmNoFAL
February 9, 2005, 11:02 AM
The fellow who runs HQ Brass posts frequently on 1911Forums.com

He hangs out around here too. ;)

Paul "Fitz" Jones
February 9, 2005, 01:17 PM
The Navy had a lot of shooting teams on ships around the world and years ago I traded them reloaders and bullet casting tools for their GI.45acp brass that normally went overboard but they shipped it to me by the thousands that had never touched dirt through their fleet post office. I living in California just had to pay the postage from San Francisco I got a few hundred thousand that way and my scout troop sorted it by maker and year and it was mostly Winchester which I preferred anyway.

If you live near any military base visit the closest scrap yards where a lot of good stuff winds up. I also used to get 2,000 pound load from a Scrap yard near a Marine base.

I also signed up for DOD Department of Defense auctions and got a lot of good brass that way

The Bushmaster
February 9, 2005, 10:23 PM
Range scrounging and friends. Just got 300 pieces of .30-30 from a non-loading friend. Not to mention the 250 .357 cases he gave me last month. All once fired cases.

lee n. field
February 9, 2005, 10:44 PM
Where do I get brass? Shooting up store-bought, and scavenging at the range. The only time I ever bought brass new was when I got 100 .303 British cases for to load for my Enfield.

taliv
February 9, 2005, 11:50 PM
lee n field

le enfield? would that be the french version?

happy old sailor
February 10, 2005, 06:56 PM
here, there, over yonder. some bought new as you Never find once fired .41 mag, 45C, or ,454C. .44M is scarce, but out there. .45ACP is so plentyful, all that needs doing is shopping. likewise .308 and .223. it is true nickle cases split easilly, and soon. if they look ok when i get them, i load them, shoot them, and leave them on the ground for someone to have a "find". thankfully, there are few in some supplyers offerings. when i reload and box then, i run a magic marker across the case head and primer. makes it easily recognizeable as mine. the marker stuff comes right off in the tumbler. change colors once in a while. when i buy new, i get 500. when i buy once fired, i get a few 1000s. buy from a reputable dealer and thats about all there is to it. reloading is not as great as shooting, but it is a very good gun related hobby.

wolf_from_wv
February 11, 2005, 10:59 PM
i buy factory brass and shoot it. I then pick up the empties. I also pick brass up that is left behind by people.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/wolf_from_wv/9mm_brass.jpg

I have gotten more since that picture.

P95Carry
February 11, 2005, 11:02 PM
Most all my brass is salvaged. Either my fired factory stuff or picked up! I have a rep' for being the range scrounger ... if it's on the ground and no one lays claim ... it's mine (oh the satisfaction!!). :)

Only new brass I have bought - since getting some Norma .44 mag years ago - is 45-70 Starline brass - and that is IMO very fine brass ... it should serve me a long time.

ojibweindian
February 12, 2005, 09:48 AM
I get my brass from friends, Midway, Wiley's Outdoor Sports in Huntsville, AL and by occasionally scrounging at my range.

C. H. Luke
February 12, 2005, 10:11 AM
"I have gotten more since that picture."

Ya' don't play Domino's do ya'? :what:

nordaim
February 12, 2005, 11:57 AM
All of my brass was collected from my own purchases of manufactured ammo and that of my friends who shoot.

I had talked about getting into reloading shortly after I started shooting, so we just started collecting the brass from what we fired at the range. We were rather surprised at how many thousands of rounds we had fired over the two years that it took me to get around to finally reloading.

After reloading a few thousand rounds I still have another 2-3k .40S&W that are still once fired and about half that in .45. Just can't eat through it the way I would like to with a single stage press. The Piggyback 4 is on order. That should change things a bit.

If you enjoyed reading about "where do you get your brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!