New Member Introduction

PDA

45wheelgun
February 9, 2005, 07:22 PM
Hello all. I am new to this board, but not new to the net. Been around since the Fidonet Gun Echo. I am sure some of my friends from the Sigforum and the smith-wessonforum will recognize my user name from those fine forums.

I collect and use Smith & Wesson revolvers, with a passion for .45acp versions, Thompson Machine Guns and Browning shotguns. I also have general interest in all firearms.

I have been life member of the NRA as well as the OGCA for over 15 years.

I like many others I am sure found this place from a link to the thread about Bearcoat. Certainly an all consuming thread. Kind of like watching a train wreck.

Regardless of how I found it, I like it and thought I should join.

Looking forward to interaction on this board,
Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "New Member Introduction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pezo
February 9, 2005, 07:32 PM
welcome, I am thinking of getting a .45 acp revolver one day I like that platform. Please post some pics of your weapons sometime.

Smokey Joe
February 9, 2005, 07:52 PM
Welcome 45Wheelgun! You'll find a lot of good info in this forum!

Glad you like S&W's. Well made guns. Have a Smith myself, an 8" bbl 586 .357mag that I use for hunting & target. Her name is Smitty. Not very original but that's what she said.

Good to have you aboard!

PATH
February 9, 2005, 11:34 PM
Howdy and welcome! I think you'll find this place a a slice of gun owner heaven. No fooling! :D

Itote
February 10, 2005, 07:05 PM
45Wheelgun,
Welcome aboard. This is the place to be for all that is gun. I've been a member for a couple of years and I assure you, you wont find a better bunch.

chetrogers
February 10, 2005, 11:23 PM
Welcome to the boards.I only own one Smith & Wesson revolver but i love it..Have fun here.

sm
February 10, 2005, 11:36 PM
Welcome to THR ! :)

P95Carry
February 10, 2005, 11:39 PM
I collect and use Smith & Wesson revolversOk - that'll do!! Welcome dude! :)

I share with you considerable enjoyment of this genre in .45 mode, instance my M625 ... never knew till I added that just how much fun moon-clips can be. Enjoy.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/m625-6-01_s.jpg

El Tejon
February 11, 2005, 09:06 AM
Welcome to THR, new friend and neighbor. :)

Plenty of your fellow Buckeyes about. Do enjoy your time. :cool:

LynnMassGuy
February 11, 2005, 10:20 AM
Welcome from one of the commy states! :)

John
LMG

45wheelgun
February 11, 2005, 12:00 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

P95, that is a sweet 625-3. That is the gun that started my love affair with 45 wheelguns. Mine is a 3" version:

http://www.nittygritty.com/guns/45acp 001.jpg

http://www.nittygritty.com/guns/45acp 004.jpg

Here is a picture of several of my 45's (Extra points if you can identify the engraved one):

http://www.nittygritty.com/guns/45acp 010.jpg

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome, I am sure I am going to enjoy it here.

Dave

keyhole
February 11, 2005, 12:04 PM
Welcome! Sit back and enjoy the conversation. Oh yeah, btw, did anyone tell you the new guy buys the ammo? :p

P95Carry
February 11, 2005, 12:27 PM
Got me stymied on the engraved one Dave .. so - spill!!!

Rexrider
February 11, 2005, 01:08 PM
Welcome aboard.

I guess there is not much point in starting a 9mm vs. 45acp discussion with you, huh? :neener:

Nice collection you have there. Thanks for posting the pictures.

45wheelgun
February 11, 2005, 01:12 PM
P95, maybe some better pictures will help:

http://www.nittygritty.com/guns/45acp 006.jpg

http://www.nittygritty.com/guns/45acp 006a.jpg

http://www.nittygritty.com/guns/45acp 007.jpg

As far as 9mm vs .45, I did have a S&W 9MM, it was an Model 76, at 600rpm it certainly had stopping power. Was really an "ugly gun".

Dave

jamz
February 11, 2005, 01:14 PM
Welcome to THR! :)

-James

P95Carry
February 11, 2005, 01:17 PM
Dave - beaut' pics!!! :)

Well ... I have to confess to being other than brilliant at ID'ing the smaller Smiths ... and this is no exception ... just not sure. Hammer has been bobbed nicely by look of it. I love the ''1 of 1'' in the engraving ... lovely work.

As to exact model ... just not quite sure.... tho should.

45wheelgun
February 11, 2005, 03:19 PM
P95:"other than brilliant at ID'ing the smaller Smiths"

That might be the problem. It didn't start life as a "smaller" Smith. 5 screw, fixed sight, .45acp....does that help?

I'll hold out just a bit longer to see if anyone else has an idea.

P95Carry
February 11, 2005, 03:39 PM
I started thinking about the 1955 Heavy target model - precursor of the M25. But that's no good .. cos of the sights .. it had adjustables.

Hmmm ... it's the fixed sights that are confusing me now. So, it is cut down ''something'' .... I need Old Fuff in on this - or Jim Keenan.

45wheelgun
February 12, 2005, 04:55 AM
It is a M1917 that has been modified extensively.

P95Carry
February 12, 2005, 01:29 PM
Thx Dave - must be honest - just would not have recognized it.

On reflection tho perhaps I should have because way, way back I had a 1917 in .455 cal ... but that is so darned pretty I just never thought laterally enough.

BluesBear
February 14, 2005, 10:57 PM
Well I was going to guess it was a cut down Model 22.

Good thing I didn't 'cause I would'a been wrong.

Braz
February 14, 2005, 11:40 PM
Howdy 45W,

Holy Snubbie, Batman! You're gonna fit right in around here. :cool:

BluesBear
February 15, 2005, 12:01 AM
I just realized that that's NOT a 1917 barrel.

Also the cylinder has been shortened.

45wheelgun
February 15, 2005, 09:09 PM
I just realized that that's NOT a 1917 barrel.

Wow, I have had this gun for years and never noticed that until you pointed it out.

OK, I will try to get a picture of this tomorrow, but what is weird is that the barrel is tapered in front of the frame, just as it should be for a 1917. Now obviously, regardless of barrel shape, the front sight has been changed/moved and the underlug has been added. The extractor rod is original.

But how did they set the barrel back 1/2" or so and maintain the barrel taper in front of the frame? There are 3" M29 barrels that follow the same lines, and have the underlug and similar sights, but where did they get the extra 1/2" to recess the barrel to the cut cylinder, while maintaining the taper? I had always assumed that it was the original barrel cut to fit. Now I don't know.

I love the cut cylinder, as it allows an apparent 2 1/2" barrel appearance, while maintaining a 3" barrel length.

BluesBear
February 15, 2005, 09:31 PM
Dave,

A standard S&W tapered barrel should have a small straight section about .125" or so before the taper begins. Yours appears to have been removed in the setback.

My guess is that this is a Model 26 barrel that has been shortened and setback. But then it could also be a model 23, 24, 27 or 28* barrel that has been rebored.

All of those barrels have the upper rib and the ejector rod shroud. I see the large head on the ejector rod has been removed to enable it to fit the shroud.

By the way, is there a hole in the butt for a lanyard ring?

*or their pre 1957 non-number equivilent

BluesBear
February 15, 2005, 10:03 PM
After considerable staring at and drooling over your excellent photographs I will have to guess is that is is a Model 26 barrel. Since that model had the longest extension into the frame on any target N-frame barrel. I don't think you could set back any of the others and still maintain the taper.

And I just realized that I have been dilatory in my unofficial duties.

So,

Welcome Aboardâ„¢ 45wheelgun!
It's good to see you over here from the S&W forum.

How are things in the Buckeye state?
I spent 40 years in the Bluegrass State and have many "fond memories" of Ohio State University.

mondocomputerman
February 16, 2005, 01:30 AM
Welcome. Nice revolver, wish I had one like that!

45wheelgun
February 16, 2005, 08:17 AM
Well, I took a photo this morning. See below. The 1/8" straight section should be apparent in the photo, although with all the engraving and plating it is hard to see, but it is there. The setback seems to be 3/8". I was using a M25 for comparison. I have sold my other 1917's. The amount of barrel in front of the frame is 1 3/4". The amount of barrel in behind the frame is 1/2" The barrel itself is 2 7/8" long. I have had this gun for almost 10 years, I can't believe I never noticed this before.

As to the hole for the lanyard ring, it _was_ there, but the grip frame has been converted from a N-SB to a K-RB. The lanyard ring hole was plugged at the time. It is US Property marked, and the serial number is correct for a 1918 manufacture date of a M1917. All parts are serial number/Assembly number matching. No serial number is apparent on the barrel, but I am not sure they put one there.

http://www.nittygritty.com/guns/45acp.jpg

BluesBear
February 16, 2005, 06:57 PM
After looking at a photo of a Model 26 barrel it still looks to me like that's what it is. The shoulder on the standard 26 seems to be a bit longer than yours. The idea of a shorter cylinder more adept to the short ACP round is an idea that S&W has only recently utilized. Whoever modified your gun was ahead of their time.

The original 1917 barrel has a serial number that matches the gun stamped on the underside of the barrel above the ejector rod.

Either way you have a spectacular revolver there. In my not so humble opinion you have the Ultimate Barbeque Gun!

XLMiguel
February 16, 2005, 09:50 PM
Welcome, 45, you sure enough have some very nice toys. I'm envious.

The Bear is a true S&W afficianado, most worth listening to. He helped me with my first foray into the innards of J-frames with great success. :D

Bronco45
February 17, 2005, 02:16 AM
35 years of shootin, packin, collecting and droolin on Smiths that chromed 1917 is the best lookin 45 Wheelgun I have ever seen.

45wheelgun
February 18, 2005, 06:50 AM
Thank you all for the kind words. Y'all sure make a guy feel welcome.

SAG0282
February 18, 2005, 07:15 AM
Welcome.....good to have ya. I'm "WASIGP226" over on SIGforum.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Member Introduction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!