Not sure how to "Quote" somebody?

PDA

chetrogers
February 9, 2005, 10:50 PM
I tried a search but didnt find anything so I am going to ask for help.When somebody post something on any of the forums I would like to quote something out of there post and im not sure how to do this.Thanks for any information.

If you enjoyed reading about "Not sure how to "Quote" somebody?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MrTuffPaws
February 9, 2005, 10:56 PM
I don't know how to show you, so at the bottom of your reply window, there should be something that says vBcode on. Click that, and it will show you examples.

P95Carry
February 9, 2005, 10:59 PM
Chet .... select/highlight the section of text you wish to include as a quote and then copy it to clipboard ... either right click/copy or CTRL+C. Then look above message reply window .... click on right hand icon that looks like a page of text. When dialog opens paste (right click/paste or CTRL+V) .... into that and ''OK'' it. That will wrap tags round it for you.

Or ... simply type these tags, using square braces instead of curly - {quote} which is start tag and .... {/quote} which is end.

Go to ''testing'' forum and try it out. Holler if still a prob.

chetrogers
February 9, 2005, 11:12 PM
Im so lost..IM going to go try some things in the testing form.

chetrogers
February 9, 2005, 11:18 PM
Do i hit the post reply button that i always have used before i do all this stuff and do everything on the second screen?.Thanks for your time

P95Carry
February 9, 2005, 11:20 PM
OK, let's try this!!! I'll screen grab what I am looking at. I'll attach it.... jpg I am afraid, my GIF's are not saving right.

Assuming you know how to copy and paste, the rest is easy.

Let's do it hard way too! Using my tags ... remember, substitute square braces "[ and ]" instead of curlies. Let's say i quote myself ...

{quote}I'll screen grab what I am looking at{/quote} .... becomes . I'll screen grab what I am looking at.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=21448

Go test it out.

P95Carry
February 9, 2005, 11:23 PM
Don't hit ''submit'' until you have done whole deal.

The tagged quote will be within your reply - in amongst the other text. keep at it - you'll win.! :)

chetrogers
February 9, 2005, 11:27 PM
Ok i can do a quote now but how do i use it as in to quote something you said in your post..

so it would say P95Carry said "then your quote here"

P95Carry
February 9, 2005, 11:31 PM
Well - if you use easy method, just wipe mouse across the relevant text with left mouse button down and copy to clipboard. Then select that icon I referred to, above the message box - and paste that text in and ''OK'' it. That should give (using curlies again instead of square braces) within your reply text .........

{quote} P95Carry said "then your quote here"{/quote}

If I then use square braces instead you should see, after submission ..
P95Carry said "then your quote here"

Gettin there!

frankyb55
February 13, 2005, 10:14 PM
Don't hit ''submit'' until you have done whole deal.

:banghead:

P95Carry
February 13, 2005, 10:33 PM
Welcome Franky!! :)

Don't you mean :banghead: :D

jamz
February 23, 2005, 08:40 PM
Also, as an extra added bonus, you can make it spiffier by adding a "=username" to the command so it looks like this when you type it in: (ignore the periods, they are there to mess up vbulletin so you can see the commands here)

[.quote=jamz]James is not the brightest bulb on the tree.[/.quote]

it ends up looking like this:

James is not the brightest bulb on the tree.

:)

-James

OF
February 23, 2005, 08:58 PM
James is not the brightest bulb on the tree.

- Gabe :)

deanodog
October 26, 2007, 11:54 AM
this is a test

OhioGunToter
September 14, 2008, 03:19 PM
Blofeld And the benefit of this would be....?

that worked

jdh
September 14, 2008, 03:53 PM
that worked

Want to show who you are quoting put "quote=poster's name" in the open quote brackets.

(I see now someone beat me to it)

Sean Dempsey
September 14, 2008, 04:59 PM
Is there a reason that each post doesn't have an automatic "quote" button like every other vBulletin out there?

I am assuming the admins found that it was not in line with the vision of THR, but all the other boards I frequent have a quote button right there on each post.

Mal H
September 14, 2008, 05:38 PM
Sean - please read the sticky thread "Quote button missing?" near the top of this forum.

I see now someone beat me to itYes, they did - by more than 3 years! ;)

jdh
September 15, 2008, 10:43 AM
At least I wasn't the one who dragged it back from the dead. One of these days I'll learn to look at dates.

Sunray
September 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
"...I'm so lost..." Highlight what you want to quote. Right click, click on 'copy', move your cursor to the 'reply' box, right click again and click on 'paste'. Add the quotation marks with or without the dots.

Smithiac
September 23, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hey there we go I didn't know how to do it now I do.

Sorry for stealing your thread but I knew it had to be posted on here.

Smithiac
September 23, 2008, 05:28 PM
select/highlight the section of text you wish to include as a quote and then copy it to clipboard ... either right click/copy or CTRL+C. Then look above message reply window .... click on right hand icon that looks like a page of text. When dialog opens paste (right click/paste or CTRL+V) .... into that and ''OK'' it. That will wrap tags round it for you.

Ok now I figured it out

halfbreed808
September 25, 2008, 04:52 PM
Neat!:D
oops didn't work.

halfbreed808
September 25, 2008, 04:53 PM
2nd try

hogdogs
September 25, 2008, 06:09 PM
Neat!
oops didn't work.
That is how it is done...
Brent

hogdogs
September 25, 2008, 06:10 PM
And this should make my post count rise?
halfbreed808
2nd try
Brent

hogdogs
September 25, 2008, 06:11 PM
Still zero posts huh? I must be a ghost!
Brent

halfbreed808
September 25, 2008, 11:45 PM
That is how it is done...
Brent
Ahhhh, by jove I think I got it!!:D

halfbreed808
September 25, 2008, 11:47 PM
Still zero posts huh? I must be a ghost!
Brent
OK definitely got it. Thanks.:D

gary vale
April 4, 2009, 12:49 PM
I would like to quote something out of there post and im not sure how to do this.Thanks for any information.

might as well add some smiles...:what::banghead:
attempt 1

If you enjoyed reading about "Not sure how to "Quote" somebody?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!