What is it...?

PDA

priv8ter
March 7, 2003, 02:24 PM
About the .500 Smith and Wesson that is causing the press and public(the sheeples anyway) to give it such negative press? Is it because Smith and Wesson has turned their back on 'The Agreement', or is it just the magical .500 number?

I am on the younger side of things, so I don't remember the widespread release of the .454...but I know the .480 Ruger didn't get this kind of coverage! I haven't reviewed the ballistics that closely, but the .500 can't be that much more powerfull a cartridge that it is worthy of this hate based on just ballistics.

If they had called it the .498 S&W, would it still be getting this negative portrayal as a 'Cop Killing' gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "What is it...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JamisJockey
March 7, 2003, 02:28 PM
Too many hollywood movies portraying bad guys with big guns. And I think they are trying to get back at S&W for going back on the 'agreement'...

NewShooter78
March 7, 2003, 02:32 PM
What really kills me about this whole "cop killer" thing is that there are police out there that don't even wear, or can afford vests to begin with. And there are much smaller caliber rounds that can defeat kevlar vests.

J Miller
March 7, 2003, 02:53 PM
You know, S&W generally doesn't make anything I want anymore.
And my wrists are no where near strong enough anymore to handle the weight of that 500 maggie, let alone the recoil.
BUT, if I had the available money, I'd buy one of the 500 Maggies just to spite all the antigunners who are panicing about it.

:fire:

4v50 Gary
March 7, 2003, 04:19 PM
I think all Gangbangers should be required to carry these guns. First, drawing will be slower and will give the bystanders a chance to get out of the line of fire. Second, the gang-bangers can all be identified by the common ailment of wrist problems and hearing impairment. A third but less likely trait would be the impression of a S&W hammer on their forehead.:D Wouldn't be too bad either if some of them had back problems from landing on the tail of the spine either. :evil:

Standing Wolf
March 7, 2003, 09:04 PM
but I know the .480 Ruger didn't get this kind of coverage!

Smith & Wesson's public relations efforts are a lot more sophisticated than Ruger's—and I'm not being facetious.

The leftist extremist ranting and raving is helping Smith & Wesson sell the new .500 model, lots of other models, and itself. It's putting on a fine dog and pony show in an effort to reclaim its good name among American shooters.

I'll consider buying Smith & Wesson revolvers after the company disposes of the agreement it signed with the Snopes Clinton-Liar Gore régime, but I'm sure Smith & Wesson's reputation, on the whole, is significantly brighter today than it was two months ago.

fallingblock
March 8, 2003, 07:55 AM
:D

WhoKnowsWho
March 8, 2003, 09:40 AM
I think it has a lot to do with the magical .50 caliber number. Most people don't understand much about guns, so when they think a bigger caliber, they think of bullets going through three brick walls, a engine block, and then stopping in the head of poor innocent little Suzie Q. Like my newspaper here, there was a letter responding to an article the newspaper published about the gun (which wasn't negative) but the letter was. It pretty much said, why would anyone want something that big and strong? Those types of bullets were used in the airplanes I flew in the war...

Khornet
March 8, 2003, 09:48 AM
....it's 'cause it's a GUN. It could be a new micro-caliber gun, mega-caliber gun, highly concealable, impossible to conceal, ideal for women of usable only by big men. No matter. It's a new gun, must be demonized.

.45Ruger
March 9, 2003, 06:29 PM
S&W is probably laughing about all of the free advertising they are getting. The Anti's hate all guns and this one is no different so negative stories on it make no difference to them. All of us gun enthusiasts just found out about a pretty good new hunting gun and it didn't cost S&W a dime to tell us about it. Basically the crowd that would by this gun doesn't really give a dam about the negative stories.

sonny
March 9, 2003, 06:49 PM
Something about the number 5 that breaks the camels back.

10-Ring
March 9, 2003, 06:52 PM
[sarcasm mode on] Because it is the most lethal, desctructive & evil caliber ever devised by man w/ no practical application other than to kill people, duh![sarcasm mode off]

Blackhawk
March 10, 2003, 02:16 AM
Jealousy.

Deep down, they WANT one, and that messes with their little minds. :D

4570Rick
March 10, 2003, 05:26 AM
S&W got a conscience plus .500 cal is easy to vilafy.:fire:

Kahr carrier
March 10, 2003, 06:30 AM
I wonder if S&W will come out with a short barrel version of the 500 S&W. Or who will be the first Rapper to use one in a music video.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "What is it...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!