Colt XSE FTE live Round?

PDA

ObeOne
February 10, 2005, 11:40 AM
Here is the problem. I have a new Colt Combat Commander XSE that has 300 rounds through it. I like the pistol (trigger needs some work, I will be doing that here pretty soon), but the only way I can eject a live round is to have a magazine in the gun. Otherwise, the round gets stuck and I have to play with it. Ammo so far has been Win Factory 230gr FMJ.
When I look at the ejector, it is really long. I compared it to my Kimber Custom, and there is a huge difference. Is this the problem? Do I just need to trim this up to solve the problem?
Thanks for the help.
Obe One

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt XSE FTE live Round?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ObeOne
February 10, 2005, 05:49 PM
So, am I correct in my Diagnosis, or Should I try something else?
Obe One

1911Tuner
February 10, 2005, 07:50 PM
Howdy Obe,

Hardball has the greatest cartrdge overall length, and is most likely to hang in the port of a pistol with an extended ejector. You can shorten the ejector slightly, but be careful to retain the original angles, or you could wind up with the brass bouncin' off your forehead. Slightly means taking a stroke with a file and trying it. Note also that the cartridge lengths do vary as much as
.010 inch, so even if you make it work with one particular lot or brand, another brand may produce the same thing.

You can also open up the bottom front of the port a little with a Dremel and
the large sanding drum attachment. Be careful and go VERY slow...You'll need to keep the drum moving, doing as much blending and polishing as actual metal removal. If you've never done it, you may be better off taking it to a smith. The job won't take over 10 minutes, and is known as "flaring" the port. It may only require a tiny amount that likely won't even be noticeable
unless the gun is blued...and even then, if it's correctly done will only be visible on the edge of the port. Cold blue will cover it nicely.

The other option is to use shorter ammo. Most hollow points are .010-.020
inch shorter than ball, which runs to about 1.260 inch on average.

There's also a small chance that your extractor hook sits a little too deep
in the extractor groove, and causes the extended ejector to put the rim in a bind as the round tries to twist free. When it does this, it also tends to
bind up the bullet nose at the front of the port.

Hope this helps

Tuner

ObeOne
February 10, 2005, 11:50 PM
Tuner,
Thanks for the help. Some additional info. I did try my reload as well with the same results. 230 Gr Bear Creek Flat Point. OAL 1.24. The ball I was running is at 1.265. Compared the length of the ejector on my Colt with the Kimber I have and it is .1 longer at 1.095. Looking in Kuhnhausen Vol2, that is extra long, and I see nothing else, mentioning any problems. The bottom front of the Ejection port is already slightly opened up, So I would rather trim the ejector.
I am also going to work on the trigger a little as well. Any specifics I should worry about?
Thanks
Obe One

1911Tuner
February 11, 2005, 05:24 AM
Mornin' Obe,

Sounds like you've got a little interference between the tip of the extractor hook and the inside of the rim.

Check the length of the hook...depth...from the bottom of the slot , where the extractor holds tension on the rim, and the tip. Measure the entire thickness to the tip...Then measure to the bottom of the slot, and subtract.
The length should be .032-.035 inch...but it's best to reduce it a tiny bit
at a time and retest. You want the hook to be as long as possible without digging in and getting things in a bind.

If the hook depth is okay...check for a sharp corner at the bottom and break
it lightly with a stone with a "swiping" motion to create a small radius. One
LIGHT stroke on the top corner to break the sharp edge also helps sometimes.
The minumum length... .032 inch...is absolute minimum.

ObeOne
February 12, 2005, 07:01 PM
Turner,
The extractor is OK. I am still trimming the ejector, just taking it slow, but it is doing better, not that I trimmed some off.
However, I had the Firing Pin Retaining plate drop slightly last night when I was shooting it. Took me a bit to figure out what was wrong, when it wouldn't cycle. It is a new Colt so it has the Firing Pin safety too.
I did detail strip it the other night, but every thing worked fine, for aprox 100 rds before this happened. Is it just a freak thing, or is the firing pin spring weak? Not sure hoping you could give me some advice. The gun has 500 rds through it now as a reference.
Thanks
Obe One

1911Tuner
February 12, 2005, 07:27 PM
Howdy Obe,

Weak firing pin spring. Odd...This is the third XSE Commander in a year that's been reported for the firing pin stop falling out and tying up the gun...and if ya count the one that I had for a while, it's the fourth.

Anyway...a new firing pin spring will probably correct it unless the stop itself is way undersized and loose. If you have a dial caliper, measure the width
of the stop and let me know. I may have one that's closer to the right size.

ObeOne
February 12, 2005, 08:00 PM
Howdy Tuner,
Thanks for the help. The firing pin stop is fine, just measured it. I picked up a couple of Wolf Extra Power Firing pin springs at the Gun Show here in CA today so I should be good to go.
Thanks again.
Obe One

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt XSE FTE live Round?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!